+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Best mans speech advice in General; So I got the stag out the way and had room to breathe for a bit (stag do thread post ...
    Thank Post

Cool Best mans speech advice

So I got the stag out the way and had room to breathe for a bit (stag do thread post number 44) but its time i got on with the speech.

I of course will surf through net for suggestions and stuff but i wanted to ask you guys and gals about your experiences and advice as well on duration, things to avoid etc.

Went into london few days ago with the groom, ushers and me. Had the measurements taken for our suit hire so yeah all systems go.

Thanks!
    Last edited by north-ict; 19th July 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has been covered on Edugeek recently:

Link: Best man speech

3. Thanks to DaveP from:

north-ict (19th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Was slightly easier for me as I was my brothers best man, I just used plenty of family stories which got good laughs. The trouble I found looking on the internet for things was that there were a lot of generic templates which I would try and stay away from, most people have been to a few weddings so they would have heard them all. Avoid swearing and dirty jokes (you can make it obvious without actually saying the punch line!)

My speech went on for about 10 minutes and that seemed right to me, it depends on how much material you have. If are struggling ask more of the grooms friends for any facts or embarrassing stories. I used things that happened in the year my brother was born, that got a good reaction.

Good luck!!

5. Thanks to captaincharisma from:

north-ict (19th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    This has been covered on Edugeek recently:

Link: Best man speech
    Thanks for that i didn't see that DOH

Thank Post
    So the wedding happened 1 week before returning to school. Suffice to say with minor things everything ran pretty smoothly, the heavens did open up but there was a small window were the the sun shone to get some really awesome photos outside.

I did not stumble when I presented the rings..... thank god!

The most nervous thing I was worrying myself about all day was the speech.

I briefly wrote a page of things to say making sure to thank people, guests, how I knew the groom and how he asked me to be the best man. I mainly used it as a guide and not read word for word off the paper. I made sure I complimented the bride on looking fantastic and for the groom on at least 'trying'.

I broke the ice initially by saying "I am nervous doing this but I don't really known why, because your all half plastered and wont remember if it was good or bad!" which was followed by everyone laughing.

My secret weapon joke which i was worried might not go down well went down extremely well with even the groom getting up and coming over and hugging me saying that was good in mid speech so I am glad I said it. Went something like this:

'A wise man once told me that the best mans speech should only last as long as it takes the groom to make love....(cue me starting to walk off) ...so on that note thank you for coming goodnight!'

All in all I got them laughing and everyone came up to me to say thanks for being a great host it was nice to hear.

My advice for anyone is just be yourself don't read word for word off cards but more as to use it as reference points and you should be fine. I'd say 5 mins should be enough I spoke much longer than if I read off the paper which would have probably lasted a minute. If you know you can make them smile your ok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread