+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Licence in General; I've just had a letter from the TV Licensing people saying "we have recently been advised that you bought television ...
    Thank Post

TV Licence

I've just had a letter from the TV Licensing people saying "we have recently been advised that you bought television receiving equipment in June 2007 from [insert name of supplier]. However we have no record of a TV Licence in your name at the above address".

Aside the fact that the school does have a licence, how come they could get hold of this information? Are suppliers really allowed to go telling third parties about my purchases with them? I've had a quick read of their terms of sale, and don't notice anything to that effect.

An even weirder thing about all this is that I actually didn't buy any TV receiving equipment! The closest purchase I made in June was a graphics card with "TV out"...

Thank Post

Re: TV Licence

I think retailers are obliged by law to tell the licensing people about purchases of receiving equipment.

Thank Post

Retailers aave to tell them when you purchase any thing that can recieve a TV signal.
    I got one when I got a USB Freeview Dongle

Thank Post

TV licensing also aren't very bright about matching addresses and names up, they only seem to go by exact full anme to address matches. Have heard of a wife buying a TV but the license is in the husbands name, address the same and snotty letters started pouring in. Didn't seem to matter that surnames were the same at teh same address.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

As the others have said, retailers are legally required to log details of all tv sales and forward them to the TVL people within 28 days. This includes:

* TVs
    * VCRs
    * DVD recorders
    * Set-top boxes
    * PCs with broadcast (TV) cards
    * TV cards

It also means that if you sell your tv to someone second hand, you have to inform the TVL people also...

Thank Post

Okay, so I guess it is outside of their published Ts&Cs if it is national law. I'm still a little confused though, since I didn't actually buy anything capable of receiving a signal!

I've passed the letter on to our Bursar to clear up - it seems more like his domain than mine :-)

Thank Post

Have any of your members of staff bought a TV for use in school or in their office....or maybe even one of the kids / staff doesnt have a TV license at home but wanted to buy one so stuck the school's address down!

The rule is though, as long as you're not using the device to recieve broadcast programming then you're allowed to have one without a license. I know because i was investigated AND visited by the tv licensing folks. They cycle through your channels to see if you can recieve any TV. All they got was static so I was fine (That and i'd already declared that the TV was only being used for playback of non-broadcast media.)

Thank Post

The same sort of thing happened to me last year when i baught a freeview box for my girlfriend's palace. Had to give my name and address to some butch Argos woman.

Thank Post

@Joedetic - it quotes my name, the supplier's name and the month in which it was purchased; I guess if what Localzuk says is true, i.e. PCs with broadcast cards, then it will apply to the graphics card with TV out which I bought in the stated month.

I'm not receiving TV on my PC (sadly!) but would be covered by the school's TV licence even if I was. It's poor form from the TVL just to cross-reference my name against the address, and not look at the address itself.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    The rule is though, as long as you're not using the device to recieve broadcast programming then you're allowed to have one without a license. I know because i was investigated AND visited by the tv licensing folks. They cycle through your channels to see if you can recieve any TV. All they got was static so I was fine (That and i'd already declared that the TV was only being used for playback of non-broadcast media.)
    Interesting, I was always under the impression if you had equipment capable of receiving a broadcast you had to have a license inspite of if you used the functionality or not.

Also don't they include the Radio license in the TV license now? But if you don't have a TV but do have a radio what do you pay?

I totally disagree with the license anyway and saved about £80 last year from not having one. Bought one when I got a warning letter.

Thank Post

@MrForgetful - it depends how you define 'capable of receiving a broadcast'; for example a TV connected solely to a DVD player and nowhere near an aerial is acceptable (although you will still get aggressive letters from the TVL because they assume that everyone has a TV, so send nasty letters to any address which doesn't have a licence).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

@mrfogetful - nope, you definitely don't have to have one if you don't use your equipment to receive broadcast signals. You have to have it set up to do so in order to need a license. I have also been investigated and visited over my old address having a tv but only for dvd's and gamecube. The house didn't have an aerial, and there was none plugged in to the tv.

I don't believe you have to have a license to receive radio any more.

Thank Post

@NickJones - I thought they said if say, the TV has a tuner, then you need a license.

I thought the only way not to have a license was to only have monitors (so no tuner) and I guess a DVD player/games console/video player (not recorder). Anything else with a tuner you had to license.

Thank Post

no I found it you're correct:

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

-
    You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one of our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
    Bristol
    BS98 1TL

Thank Post

Well. Due to the fact that when my year moved into the University Halls of residence they stopped the communal TV license so we all had to get one but I, and a LOT of students, are far too cheap and there are such wonderful things as bit torrent for the few decent programs on the tv.

It's understandable if you're buying a tuner device like a freeview box that they would want your name and address because that's all it does...recieve broadcasts. With regards to radio licenses i'm not sure about that because people without tv licenses can have cars...and cars generally have radios. I'd like to see the blokes from TV licensing run out onto the A34 with a clipboard trying to get people to stop so he can give them a fine.

I suppose the BBC have to get their funding from somewhere but it's just daft when they're introducing stupid rules like if it's a property with tvs in rooms with locked doors then it needs to have a separate license for each room that someone is living in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast