+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Licence in General; [quote="NickJones"] Originally Posted by gwendes I very much doubt there is anyone that doesn't want to receive any BBC services ...

Thank Post

Re: TV Licence

[quote="NickJones"]
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    I very much doubt there is anyone that doesn't want to receive any BBC services at all
    The thing is that the licence doesn't cover all BBC services - they might be funded out of the licence fee, but you don't need a licence to access them. If I didn't have a TV I could listen to a radio or go online for free and not watch BBC TV; I, however, also listen to the radio, go online, don't watch BBC TV yet have to pay for it because I do watch some other commercial channels. Barking.

You can also get equipment which receives the sound from BBC but no picture (my blind grandmother has one), and this doesn't require a licence!!

This is fairly recent though - I can remember the Radio license - it only got rolled into the TV license when most homes had a TV.

Thank Post

I hate adverts
    The BBC also spends nearly as much time "advertising" their own programmes as ITV do with proper adverts. They even do it during news programmes - "The BBC has learned that insert obscure article here and by the way you can see the full report on such and such a programme later tonight"

HBJB

Thank Post

@spuff monkey...you dont pay road tax if you declare your car off the road with a SORN declaration...bad example :P

The only things worth wating on the TV these days are House, QI and maybe the odd episode of Grand Designs. To be honest, from a student's point of view...not having a TV means less destraction and more time spent "studying" (read drinking / playing with cisco kit).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    more time spent "studying" (read drinking / playing with cisco kit).
    I don't know what kinda student you wre, but not much time was spent with cisco kit when I was at uni! It was spent clubbing whilst drinking!!

And a bit of work I spose.

Thank Post

OK....
    1) clubbing ftl
    2) clubbing in stafford == zanzibar == stabbings in the neck == bad
    3) i'm doing network engineering ffs....game students spend time playing games....i spend time engineering networks!

and please note that i'm *issed whilst writing this and also that drinking came first in the list!

Thank Post

Hi,

When lived in the UK, I went through a spell on not watching TV, great period of my life actually, I wrote to the BBC / License department and explained why I don't watch TV and they were ok with that.

Retrospectively I now realise that British TV is probably the best in the world,(my known world) here in Australia we get what we pay for! (TV is free here) and worth about the same, or perhaps a little less that nothing. - here it's just another social engineering tool.

Best regards
    Roland

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey
    No - but you pay your Road Tax whether or not you drive your car.
    Yes, that is sadly the case, although I've seen stuff in the media about considerations for making the charge based on the number of miles driven. Could really hit business users, but will be a blessing for the stereotypical "little old lady who uses it once a week to go to the shops" (actually, the previous owner of my dad's car genuinely was that person!).

Thank Post

You can also get equipment which receives the sound from BBC but no picture (my blind grandmother has one), and this doesn't require a licence!!
    It does actually - the licence is half price.
    BBC - About the BBC - Licence fee

People are missing the point, whether you use all the services or not, all the signals are broadcast and the way that has been chosen to charge for this at the moment is through TV licencing.It's not a particularly good way but this will change.

Unfortunately only watching a little BBC does not make your exempt for paying for all of the products all the time - this is where the car tax example holds up. Don't drive at all you don't pay. Seems like there are a few of you that just don't think you should pay...

I don't think I should pay for unemployment benefits, since, if I lose my job I will need to find another. If I am injured then my work will pay - I'm paying into two systems and one doesn't benefit me at all. If I could opt out then the system collapses. Watch and pay, or, don't watch and don't pay. Seems like a lot of complaining for such a small amount of money..

I, for one, think the fee is good value considering the weatlth of wonderful television the BBC has produced and will produce in the future. I imagine a lot of us would be very different people without it.

If you can't afford £10 a month then I would recommend cutting down on drinking/smoking/etc, cycle instead of driving and cooking your food from scratch just to start with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

gwendes: It's not that we don't want to pay at all; we don't want to pay for something we don't even want to use.

Thank Post

People are missing the point, whether you use all the services or not, all the signals are broadcast and the way that has been chosen to charge for this at the moment is through TV licencing.It's not a particularly good way but this will change.

Unfortunately only watching a little BBC does not make your exempt for paying for all of the products all the time - this is where the car tax example holds up. Don't drive at all you don't pay. Seems like there are a few of you that just don't think you should pay...

I don't think I should pay for unemployment benefits, since, if I lose my job I will need to find another. If I am injured then my work will pay - I'm paying into two systems and one doesn't benefit me at all. If I could opt out then the system collapses. Watch and pay, or, don't watch and don't pay. Seems like a lot of complaining for such a small amount of money..

I, for one, think the fee is good value considering the weatlth of wonderful television the BBC has produced and will produce in the future. I imagine a lot of us would be very different people without it.

If you can't afford £10 a month then I would recommend cutting down on drinking/smoking/etc, cycle instead of driving and cooking your food from scratch just to start with.
    You are missing the point!

It's NOT MEANT TO BE A TAX.

Read my other posts! If you find it good value fine then pay, but IT SHOULDN'T BE COMPULSORY!

You keep saying YOU don't think it's bad value. But why should EVERYONE have to pay?

Stop comparing it to tax and try think of some other product you HAVE to buy whether you use it or want it or not.

Thank Post

Watch and pay, or, don't watch and don't pay. Seems like a lot of complaining for such a small amount of money.
    It's not that simple though - if it was, I wouldn't pay. The problem is that I am LEGALLY required to pay it because I own a television even though I choose not to watch the relevant channels. I choose not to watch Sky Movies and therefore don't pay for it; I choose not to watch BBC1 yet pay still have to pay for it.

Thank Post

It does actually - the licence is half price.
    BBC - About the BBC - Licence fee
    No, it IS free. The 50% discount for blind people refers to the licence for a colour television; if the equipment receives sound but cannot display pictures, it is free - see http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Thank Post

It basically is a tax. The BBC was founded by the state.

The BBC doesn't even control the cost of the licence - this is set by the government.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

What you'll have read is people saying that if they didn't have to pay for it they wouldn't watch it, they would watch ITV and other non-license funded channels instead.

Watch and pay, or, don't watch and don't pay. Seems like a lot of complaining for such a small amount of money..
    It is a lot of money for someone on low income - obviously you aren't in a financially dire situation like many people in the population so you should stop making this comment.

I don't drink hardly at all (possibly one night out a month, if that). I don't smoke, I don't drive and I cook all my food from fresh (and I don't eat meat). And £10 is still 5% of my monthly money for the list of things I described earlier. Your view of what people do with their money is not a very good one and you should stop pursuing it.

Thank Post

I know it's basically a tax, hell it's basically someone mugging everyone in the street, but when deciding if it's a relevant way of finding in the modern age it shouldn't be compared with taxes it should be compared with other services of a similar nature.

It may be set by the government but the BBC Trust analyse and propose the cost.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast