+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Licence in General; I don't own a tv or radio (the car has one, but I've taken the aerial out, my HI-fi is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: TV Licence

I don't own a tv or radio (the car has one, but I've taken the aerial out, my HI-fi is some decks connected to a PA, so no tuner there!) and yet I'm constantly hounded by the TV liscening bods.

They've even been round a couple of times, had a look and then given me a stern talk about how if they catch me with a tele i'll have a huge fine.

So now I refuse to get one as a matter of course.......

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    The same sort of thing happened to me last year when i baught a freeview box for my girlfriend's palace.
    your girlfriends palace?!?

who the hell are you dating? the Queen?

Thank Post

@NickJones - Does that replace the need to have to pay a 50% rediced License fee for blind people then?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    It's not like I have to pay the tax for Petrol and Diesel just to use the Diesel is it?
    How do you figure?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Domino
    who the hell are you dating? the Queen?
    Isn't the Queen exempt?

Thank Post

How can a company not break down services and charge accordingly? Do you have to get every channel when you subscribe to Virgin Media? No. And look at the new BT Vision TV thing, that's a great idea only paying for the things you watch.

The BBC however make it illegal for UK citizens not to pay even though they may not use the services, and expesially with the Internet they provide a free service to the whole world - that I have to pay for.

I like adverts, they're better than a lot of the actual TV programs, provide time to nip to the loo or make a brew, and enlighten me to new products that are around.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    It's not like I have to pay the tax for Petrol and Diesel just to use the Diesel is it?
    How do you figure?
    I'm saying I pay the tax in my diesel but I don't have to pay for the tax that's in aswell (ie double) because I don't buy and use any petrol, only diesel.

Makes sense to me, crap anology thought I'll admitt.

How about this: I don't pay an extra 1p a litre to get rid of an existing toll road do I? I don't use that road so gladly I don't pay for it. The roads I do use are covered in my petrol tax and my road tax.

Thank Post

And Petrol Tax is a form of pay as you go taxation. It's not like I have to pay the tax for Petrol and Diesel just to use the Diesel is it?
    Also, the amount of tax you pay on the fuel depends on how much you use. We don't all pay a standard £300 a year taxation in order to own a car!

I'm saying that a company can't break down what services you may listen or watch and charge you for those.
    Rubbish! We pay Sky just £15 a month and we don't get some channels; if we wanted all the "standard" channels, we'd pay £25 or so, more if we wanted movies or sports. That is a beautiful example of what I'm suggesting - charge people for what they want without making me pay the huge prices paid for TV coverage of the next Chelsea game or whatever.

@NickJones - Does that replace the need to have to pay a 50% rediced License fee for blind people then?
    So long as you ONLY receive sound. Quoting the TVL's web site:
    "If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
    Isn't the Queen exempt?
    The Queen pays income tax but only her personal income (which isn't much), not that of the Monarch. I don't know if she has to buy a TV licence or not!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is absolutely no reason why BBC services should be flat taxed. Top-up TV allows you to choose which channels to pay for, as does sky and all cable companies. The BBC should do the same and charge accordingly.

Thank Post

The funny thing is we're comparing it to Taxes, but it's not a tax!

It's meant to just be a fee for a service, like Gas or Electricity or a phone or the internet, but with all those things you can choose not to pay it and not have it.

Imagine it Wanadoo (or whatever it's called these days) started providing you with an Internet connection but you didn't want theirs you wanted to use BT.

You: I don't want your connection
    Them: But we supply it
    You: But I don't use it, I use BT
    Them: That's fine, but you could be using it
    You: But I'm not so can you stop chargin me and take it away
    Them: No sorry, it's the law you have to pay us. Don't use it if you don't want, but we won't stop prioviding it and charging you.
    You: But I don't like you connection it's only POP and not IMAP.
    Them: Well keep your current connection aswell.
    You: But I don't use yours only my other I don't want to pay for both
    Them: It's the law, we provide you pay whether you use it or not.

Thank Post

With analog technology it isn't possible to limit what services you are supplied with - everyone is provided with everything and the only way to make a charge for services that aren't paid for in any other way is to charge everyone. Why everyone has suddenly stopped watching BBC broadcasts is beyond me - maybe it's just to argue a point.

Technology in this field is in the middle of massive change and we should be in the position shortly where you can be provided with only the channels you want. I think that the World Service and local stations should have no problem being funded from the majority of people that will continue to watch BBC products.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why everyone has suddenly stopped watching BBC broadcasts is beyond me - maybe it's just to argue a point.
    Maybe because there's nothing worth watching on the BBC any more?

Thank Post

With analog technology it isn't possible to limit what services you are supplied with - everyone is provided with everything and the only way to make a charge for services that aren't paid for in any other way is to charge everyone. Why everyone has suddenly stopped watching BBC broadcasts is beyond me - maybe it's just to argue a point.

Technology in this field is in the middle of massive change and we should be in the position shortly where you can be provided with only the channels you want. I think that the World Service and local stations should have no problem being funded from the majority of people that will continue to watch BBC products.
    I'm sure Sky and Cable managed to do this just fine over the past couple of decades.

The problem is even with the changes coming the BBC will not let go of the funding and are seeking to raise the fee!

Thank Post

“The only reason why I may keep my TV is to connect my Gamecube to it unless I can find a way to connect it to a PC monitor”
    Its pretty easy you just need a £30ish box. But I forgot the name, have to check the catalogue tonight.

Thank Post

I'm sure Sky and Cable managed to do this just fine over the past couple of decades.
    By installing new cables under our roads and launching satelittes into orbit! If you asked the BBC to raise your fee to pay for this I'm sure they'd be happy to!

Are we at the stage where people that you would be happy to see the BBC shut down? I'm waiting to see what the next hit comedy is... AFAIC £135 a year is nothing to have no adverts - I hate adverts!

Thank Post

If you hate adverts record it and fast forward them. Or go have a break. I hate it when the BBC puts on a 2 and a half hour film and I can't get some crisps, have a wee, make a coffee or whatever without missing some.

It's just over £10 a month, for which I could get 20Mb broadband instead of the 4Mb I have, but I can't afford that.

Or I could have got British Gas cover for my boiler so now I'd have warm running water, but I don't cos I can't afford it.

I resent been forced to pay for something I don't want. That's the point.

If you want it fine, you pay. If you like it great, if you think it's worth it that's fine, but not everyone does and forcing everyone to pay for something they might or might not want it just stupid.

Show me another country that does this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast