+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Licence in General; I'm sorry but when they pay Chris Moyles and Terry Wogan and Jonathon Ross over half a million each for ...
    Thank Post

Re: TV Licence

I'm sorry but when they pay Chris Moyles and Terry Wogan and Jonathon Ross over half a million each for a couple of hours on the radio I kinda resent been forced to pay.

I don't care about it 'been the public interest'

I don't like that I have to pay this tax but anyone in the world can go on the website for free.

It's time to end this Draconian way of funding and find another way. If that means Adverts of subsription based then so be it.

If people are willing to pay for the channels then let them carry on paying and take them away from others like me who don't want to.

I don't want to pay for Sky so I don't get it. Do that with the BBC. It's ridiculous to have to pay for something you don't want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries

Edit: Double post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    I look at it like this - £10 a month isn't very much for a household to pay to fund everything the BBC does for us. I cannot imagine my parent's house without Radio 4, getting into a taxi playing Radio 1, work without continuous News 24. The World Service saw Alan Johnston through his ordeal recently. If I want to know the weather, I'm looking for educational resources, checking TV listings or news I can go to bbc.co.uk and will not be disappointed, all the time, no adverts.

Also, CBeebies tortues my friends with kids - hilarity.

New TV isn't very impressive, I'll admit, but the BBC has produced most of the best television. Full stop. I'll pay £2.50 a week for that with no issues - hell, it doesn't even buy me a pint anymore.
    I would disagree. £10 a month is a lot of money to me (it is about 5% of the total amount I have to spend on food/groceries, clothes, medication, glasses etc... each month). I don't listen to radio and barely watch tv. Adverts would do me just fine.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    I don't want to pay for Sky so I don't get it. Do that with the BBC. It's ridiculous to have to pay for something you don't want.
    If you don't have a TV that's tuned in then you don't pay. Exactly what you want. You can watch DVDs and play games all you like - tune it in and you pay for a license...

I can't see your problem.

You'll even continue to get all the web services!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

gwendes - you are missing the point. What if we want ITV? Or what if we do want sky or the freeview packages that aren't BBC? We can't at the moment. We are forced to have them and pay for a license.

richard

I'm moving in a couple of weeks and am going to be getting rid of my tv. If I want to watch something I either watch a film or i'll grab a TV show by bittorrrent. The only reason why I may keep my TV is to connect my Gamecube to it unless I can find a way to connect it to a PC monitor.

Thank Post

In a totally unrelated sidenote... I got a demand from the TV license people at school... Apparently they are informed whenever you buy anything that allows you to use/access a TV like the TV Card I bought recently and had delivered to school rather than home.

Confusion abounded until I worked out what was going on... and yes apparently the reseller is required to inform the licensing people by law..

Thank Post

Exactly, I'd like Sky One, I could afford to subscribe to Sky for that if I didn't have to pay for the BBC, but I can't afford both so have to miss 24, Lost, new Simpsons etc etc.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    gwendes - you are missing the point. What if we want ITV? Or what if we do want sky or the freeview packages that aren't BBC? We can't at the moment. We are forced to have them and pay for a license.
    Exactly! I would gladly live without BBC for the sake of saving £150 a year - I only really watch BBC3 anyway, and do that less since buying all the box sets for Two Pints of Lager. I want Sky One, E4, Living, etc, etc but would gladly tell Sky not to pump the BBC channels to me if this was possible.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Exactly, I'd like Sky One, I could afford to subscribe to Sky for that if I didn't have to pay for the BBC, but I can't afford both so have to miss 24, Lost, new Simpsons etc etc.
    I recommend BT.. it's even newer too.

I very much doubt there is anyone that doesn't want to receive any BBC services at all - but I can see your point and, if it were feasible to offer a limited time for BBC services or a free licence to those that tuned out the BBC services I'm sure this would be offered. It isn't really, is it?

It would be like saying "I only drive on a couple of roads during my daily commute and therefore I should only pay tax on that bit, why should I pay towards roads I'll never drive on?"

This whole subject is going to experience a bit of an overhaul in the next few years with video on demand the natural progression, something is going to have to change soon.

Thank Post

It was great in university halls becuase there was a DC++ hub at the rip-roaring speeds of 10Mbps in half-duplex. Talk about a dated network!

It was still great to have it though. Got to make do with bittorrent and DVDs of stuff. Like most of my mates at uni I had to buy extra storage. My desktop PC now runs ~1.3TB of hard disk space.

Bittorrent is making it fill up remarkably slower though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It would be like saying "I only drive on a couple of roads during my daily commute and therefore I should only pay tax on that bit, why should I pay towards roads I'll never drive on?"
    Other non-BBC TV channels are funded by other means, not the licence fee.

Thank Post

And Petrol Tax is a form of pay as you go taxation. It's not like I have to pay the tax for Petrol and Diesel just to use the Diesel is it?

Thank Post

I very much doubt there is anyone that doesn't want to receive any BBC services at all
    The thing is that the licence doesn't cover all BBC services - they might be funded out of the licence fee, but you don't need a licence to access them. If I didn't have a TV I could listen to a radio or go online for free and not watch BBC TV; I, however, also listen to the radio, go online, don't watch BBC TV yet have to pay for it because I do watch some other commercial channels. Barking.

You can also get equipment which receives the sound from BBC but no picture (my blind grandmother has one), and this doesn't require a licence!!

Yes, it would be much like saying that - which is why there is so much talk about pay-per-mile taxation, toll roads and so forth....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Other non-BBC TV channels are funded by other means, not the licence fee.
    I'm saying that a company can't break down what services you may listen or watch and charge you for those.

This happens everywhere.

I don't use a lot of the services that BBC offer but everyone pays towards the complete service - it can't run any other way. If we were taxed by the services we intend to use then there would be very little money available to families that cannot work.

The only other way it can work is via advertising and I'm sick and tired of that everywhere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast