+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Traveling to work. in General; I have recently completed an ICT apprenticeship. The good news is I have been offered a permanent job, however the ...

Thank Post

Traveling to work.

I have recently completed an ICT apprenticeship. The good news is I have been offered a permanent job, however the travel would require a round trip of 120 miles a day. The travel would be paid at 45p a mile and the journey takes around an hour maybe an hour and a half in traffic.

I was curious to know what others thought on this travel? Is there an average an ICT Tech travels?

Be grateful for replies.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    TBH you are lucky that they are going to pay for your Travels! There are not many companies/schools that will pay for your travel too work only travel incurred while at work (which might be worth checking its not that they are offering).

Thank Post
    That's very unusual, you normally only get paid travel expenses if you have to travel whilst at work - i.e. from one campus to another.

Be careful though as you normally only get paid 45p for a set amount of miles and then a lower rate after that.

120 miles round-trip is far too far for me, it would have to be one fantastic job with a very hefty pay packet for me to even contemplate travelling that far! I currently travel 44 miles round-trip but in a few weeks it will only be 16 as I've got a new role closer to home.

Thank Post
    If they are paying travel go for it. It tends to be lucrative as you probably won't spend 45p a mile. That being said, a 60 mile drive in the morning is a bit daunting especially in Winter. I have a 15 mile round trip to work and that still takes me 30 minutes. It depends on how long it is going to take you.

A previous employer once asserted that they EXPECTED all employees to factor in an hours travelling time PER JOURNEY. I was repping for a games distributor and if a store was 2 hours away (Weymouth for example) I was expected to do 1 of those hours in my own time, so I was expected to be at store for 9am, but in the case of a 2 hour trip, 10am was the latest they would allow similarly I was not to leave until 4pm for a 2 hour drive home. It was a bit complicated but most of my 'patch' was within an hours commute so it sounds like you're probably looking at about an hour or so (traffic dependant). Are you sure they are paying your day-to-day travel and not 'out on site' travel?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    If they are paying travel go for it. It tends to be lucrative as you probably won't spend 45p a mile. That being said, a 60 mile drive in the morning is a bit daunting especially in Winter. I have a 15 mile round trip to work and that still takes me 30 minutes. It depends on how long it is going to take you.

A previous employer once asserted that they EXPECTED all employees to factor in an hours travelling time PER JOURNEY. I was repping for a games distributor and if a store was 2 hours away (Weymouth for example) I was expected to do 1 of those hours in my own time, so I was expected to be at store for 9am, but in the case of a 2 hour trip, 10am was the latest they would allow similarly I was not to leave until 4pm for a 2 hour drive home. It was a bit complicated but most of my 'patch' was within an hours commute so it sounds like you're probably looking at about an hour or so (traffic dependant). Are you sure they are paying your day-to-day travel and not 'out on site' travel?
    Yup I am certain they are paying day to day travel otherwise I would not do the job. I discussed with them I wanted 45p a mile and they have agreed that is what I will have. The journey takes about an hour its all one motorway, and your completely right I worked out Id be spending 300 a month on petrol and getting back around 1800. Hence why I want to take the job.

Thank Post
    600 miles a week will take it out of you, especially when winter kicks in. It may 'only' be an hour, but that over a long distance will be tiring.

Hope you have a decent car as well, because don't forget you will need to pay wear and tear costs.

Thank Post
    I did it for a year when I started out, it is knackering. Expect to put your social life essentially on hold for it.

Also, I didn't get paid to travel, and fuel was *a lot* cheaper in 1999!

Thank Post
    I would advise you to check with the Inland Revenue as I suspect your mileage payments will be subject to tax & you will need to declare it as part of your income. If you are 'commuting' you will not qualify for any business mileage allowance as journeys to and from your normal place of work do not qualify as work journeys.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mileage/employee-factsheet.pdf

Thank Post
    My milage to work is 2.6 miles, should really cycle!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fs171 View Post
    My milage to work is 2.6 miles, should really cycle!
    I should really start cycling again... I did it for 9 months every day, but under pressure from OH i've bought a car to stop using her diesel all the time, and i've only cycled one day in 2 weeks. I'm getting lazy, and my route is only 3.5 miles!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I should really start cycling again... I did it for 9 months every day, but under pressure from OH i've bought a car to stop using her diesel all the time, and i've only cycled one day in 2 weeks. I'm getting lazy, and my route is only 3.5 miles!
    I cycle a 30mi round trip 2-3 times a week (fair weather ).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Yup I am certain they are paying day to day travel otherwise I would not do the job. I discussed with them I wanted 45p a mile and they have agreed that is what I will have. The journey takes about an hour its all one motorway, and your completely right I worked out Id be spending 300 a month on petrol and getting back around 1800. Hence why I want to take the job.
    Assuming you get an average of 30 miles to the Gallon, that 120mile per day round trip is 4 Gallons a day. At a current price of around 6 a gallon, that makes 24 a day. Making it 120 a week (assuming you work 5 days per week). Over 4 weeks (a month) this is 480. Assuming you get 30 miles to the Gallon.

You may drive a diesel at 50 to the gallon. If so: 120 miles at 50 miles to the gallon is 2.4 Gallons. 1 Gallon is 4.54l so if 1 litre of diesel is 138p, 1 gallon of diesel is 6.26 which brings your daily cost per journey down to 15.02. Which is 75.12 a week which is nearer your 300 a month mark.

Both of these assume you are driving in optimum driving conditions at a steady speed. In reality you'll probably get more like 25-26 to the gallon in heavy traffic in any petrol car larger and older than an 04 Astra (LeBoyfriend gets 33 to the gallon in an 04 Astra 'around town', I get 26 to the gallon in a Y-reg Vectra 'around town'). LeFather drives like an old fart and prides himself on getting 56 to the gallon out of an 08 VW Passat on the motorway. Around town you're looking more like 40ish in a Passat sized car.

On top of that you also need to factor in additional tyre and breakpad costs. You'll probably get around 15,000mi out of a set of tyres although that depends on the compound, brand, size and weight of car, how well balanced the wheels and tyres are etc That is 125 days at 120 mi a day. So you'll probably do 3-4 sets a year. At roughly 400 a set.

I still reckon it is profitable for you, but how sustainable is it for your employer? Also I wouldn't want to drive 60 miles every day then do a full day of work - that is the same as driving Southampton to Oxford every day :-S The commute TO work won't be as much pain as the commute home. I suspect.

Thank Post
    Erm, I think we've all forgotten to say something...

Congratulations on completing your apprenticeship and being offered a job!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazza View Post
    Erm, I think we've all forgotten to say something...

Congratulations on completing your apprenticeship and being offered a job!
    Oh, yeah, ^^ this!

Thank Post
    45ppm for the first 10K 25ppm after that.

However take off 30% roughly to cover Income tax/insurance.

31.5p and 17.5p.

48 weeks , 5 days a week = 240 days

83 days will be paid at 31.5p after tax. 3137
    157 days at 17.5p after tax. = 3297

Deisle will be about 14ppm @ = 4032
    Tax 160
    Servicing 4 * 150 = 600
    Insurance ~ 2k if you are young.
    AA 100
    CAR....... ....

So you stand to break evenish..

Rob