+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, 3d or not 3d? That is the monitor question! in General; I've been pondering replacing a couple of my oldest monitors (one is now 4 years the other 6 years old) ...

Thank Post

3d or not 3d? That is the monitor question!

I've been pondering replacing a couple of my oldest monitors (one is now 4 years the other 6 years old)

I have 3 monitors at the moment
    -ASUS PA238Q IPS 23" 1920x1080 with full tilt/swivel (2d only but absolutely lovely)
    -Viewsonic 22" 1680x1050 TFT (TN)
    -Samsung 19" 1280x1024 (TN and 6 years old, broken power button, and starting to go faulty with dead pixels, poor brightness/contrast, and occasional ghosting)

I love my Asus, bought it last year and it's just superb.

But what I'm wondering, is if it's worth buying some 3d stuff now, or buy 2 more of my lovely ASUS one?

last year when I got the asus there wasn't really anything worth getting that used it, but the market for media and probably gaming is heading for 3d as the norm.

So anyone got any views, is it worth investing in 3d's now, or have I got another 3-5 years of being a fuddyduddy and sticking with 2d?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3D is 100% useless in my view. Its just not a technology that you will use.

I'd say stick with the Asus IPS ones.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

mac_shinobi (12th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The advantage of the 3D ones, by what I've heard, is that 120Hz is proper lovely and noticeabley better on its own regardless of any 3D capabilities. You will likely have to lose the wonder of IPS, though.

I'd say that if you've found a monitor you like, stick with it. 3D is fun but far from essential, and it rather feels like it's lost its momentum recently anyway.

Thank Post
    my laptop has 3d but only because the 3d version allows 16gb ram 2s maxes out at 8. Ive used it to test so watched drive angry in 3d it works but tbh imo 3d is i gimmick so movie studios can charge more for tickets and stop you going to the cinema with a camcorder

Thank Post
    Personally, I am waiting until 3D technology no longer requires additional accessories (such as 'overglasses') to use. Until then, I'm sticking with 2D. If it's work why do you need 3D anyway?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Personally, I am waiting until 3D technology no longer requires additional accessories (such as 'overglasses') to use. Until then, I'm sticking with 2D. If it's work why do you need 3D anyway?
    Well I play BF3, Arma2, EvE Online, Lotro, and I have a PS3 for movies and playing DUST514....

I also do a fair bit of stuff with websites and data work around excel, along with playing with virtual servers.

Failing that, I keep emails, IRC, facebook, usually some video playing (either movie or TV) while I mess with something inane like minecraft or just running around in lotro.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd buy a 2nd graphics card and run 6 monitors, but the wife'd kill me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Well I play BF3, Arma2, EvE Online, Lotro, and I have a PS3 for movies and playing DUST514....

I also do a fair bit of stuff with websites and data work around excel, along with playing with virtual servers.

Failing that, I keep emails, IRC, facebook, usually some video playing (either movie or TV) while I mess with something inane like minecraft or just running around in lotro.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd buy a 2nd graphics card and run 6 monitors, but the wife'd kill me.
    Am I right in thinking that the games have to be written to take advantage of 3D in order for you to see the benefit?

Asus screens are nice. Take a look at Iiyama too. Mmmm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the games have to be written to take advantage of 3D in order for you to see the benefit?

Asus screens are nice. Take a look at Iiyama too. Mmmm.
    I'm a WoW gamer and I have a lovely Iiyama monitor - I'm really pleased with (apart from the strange buzzing from the speakers when a large amount of white is on the screen - like a word document) but it's only 2D. 3D is not widespread enough for it to be worth the extravagent expense. That being said, WoW in 3D would be pretty awesome...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    2D until they can do it without the need of external devices ie glasses etc

Also agree with you on the Iiyama screens being great for the most part ( some of them aren't that great but would have to check reviews on specific models )

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    3D is 100% useless in my view. Its just not a technology that you will use.

I'd say stick with the Asus IPS ones.
    +1 to getting another 2 Asus IPS ones

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I am waiting until 3D technology no longer requires additional accessories (such as 'overglasses') to use.
    It's getting there, but there's still significant drawbacks to glasses-free 3D - such as having to sit completely still as the effect relies on the TV having tracked where you're sitting and adjusted its lenticular lens accordingly.

Glasses-free laptops have already been built as well, but they seem the most pointless form factor of all to me - movies will be seen on a TV or a tablet, games will be played a console (on a TV) or a powerful PC, and there's no productivity software that needs 3D.

Having said all that, the passive 3D TV sets are really quite lovely and a vast improvement on the active glasses, as far as I'm concerned, and the PS3 does look rather wonderful on it (<3 Super Stardust HD). I'm not sure PCs are quite ready for it yet though - it just doesn't seem mature yet, although again, it's improving

Thank Post
    For a computer monitor, I'd personally stick with 2d. I was looking at 3 screen set-up but have found FreeTrack pretty much eliminated my need for a wide view so for indulgence I'm wondering how good things might look on a 30in 2560x1600 unit such as LG W3000H-BN (and wondering how hot my graphics card might get).

13. Thanks to pcstru from:

SYNACK (12th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    For a computer monitor, I'd personally stick with 2d. I was looking at 3 screen set-up but have found FreeTrack pretty much eliminated my need for a wide view so for indulgence I'm wondering how good things might look on a 30in 2560x1600 unit such as LG W3000H-BN (and wondering how hot my graphics card might get).
    3 * HD TV's
    3 * DVI to HDMI cables ( unless the graphics card supported HDMI ) then you could just use 3 HDMI cables ?

Although I know resolution of HD TV's isn't as high as some or most tft's can go so not sure if that would be an issue ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't bother with 3D, they still have not fixed its main issue which is forced prespective. That means that your eyes and brain are forced into an un-natural state. Half the reason to move from LCDs was to get rid of a bunch of the flicker and move the light emmision source foward. Eye strain is a problem with standard LCD moniters, adding 3D to that for extended periods of use is just going to damage your eyes and give you nasty headaches as your brain tries to compensate for the fixed prespective content in a non-fixed prespective environment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    From the site is looks like freetrack only works in games, I wonder if there is any software about that allows for a wider windows screen (like W8 Metro) that could be panned through on a single moniter, this could lead to easier wide workspaces.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread