+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Talk about bad timing! in General; Don't worry about - just so stressed with the whole thing (and Mrs G is 10x worse ) It has ...

Thank Post
    Don't worry about - just so stressed with the whole thing (and Mrs G is 10x worse )
    It has been carefully thought and we really do want to try and leave it as long as poss!

It's just typical after everything we've been through in the last few years

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I really hate to do this....but someone has to....

IF the spots have NOT scabbed over, you are going to HAVE to stay at home.

The problem with aeroplanes is that they are a closed air environment. The air just gets pumped around the plane. This means that if there is ANY chance of infection, the illness could spread like wildfire.

Turn the situation around for a minute.... How would you feel if you'd got on a plane, for a nice holiday, and during your holiday you or your children came down with an illness that you suspected was from another passenger on the flight.... How would you feel?

I truly hope that the chickenpox has cleared, and you and your family can go on holiday.... Buddha/God/Your own particular deity knows that everyone needs a holiday now and again, but you cannot, in all conscience, put others at risk. Insurance should pay out on a doctors cert.
    Definitely this - my daughter has Crohn's, as a result is on immuno-suppressants, and if anyone at her school has chickenpox she has to stay home as with her now-damped-down immune system, it can be very serious. It may well be a choice of a holiday for you and a hospital stay for someone else - you never know. It doesn't even have to be something as serious as Crohn's - just an adult who never had chickenpox and who might therefore get shingles, which can be fatal. The flight restriction is there for a reason (unlike most air flight rules, in all fairness. If MP3 players are a danger to your plane's electronics, get better electronics. I'd warrant the static in the clouds you'll fly through will present much more electromagnetism than any of my toys)

Best of luck, though... and definitely leave it as late as possible, and hope you get someone understanding at the check-in desk

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,492 Posts
    This is a five year old we're talking about, @Gatt, not a teenager. He's excited about the concept of the holiday... not excited about going to Majorca. Frankly, he has no idea what you mean by it!

You and your wife must not let your worries and understanding project onto your five year old. If he thinks it's his fault that you're upset, you are doing it wrong.

If you end up not going, you tell him you're going on holiday and then take him to the zoo or farm park or somewhere else he finds exciting... he honestly won't realise the difference at that age! If you have to, tell him the aeroplane broke down or Majorca was too rainy, or something and you've decided to have a special holiday at home! What ever you do, don't blame those spots! This a white-lie occasion!

I completely agree with @aerospacemango that if there is doubt, you must not go for the sake of everyone else on the flight. Some poor family could end up stranded at the end of their fortnight away, not allowed on the plane because their child has come up in spots... the incubation period for chickenpox is two weeks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    This is a five year old we're talking about, @Gatt, not a teenager. He's excited about the concept of the holiday... not excited about going to Majorca. Frankly, he has no idea what you mean by it!
    He's excited about going on an aeroplane and has been since we booked it.. We took him to the airport not long ago and he loved it and was saying he couldn;t wait to go on one....

You and your wife must not let your worries and understanding project onto your five year old. If he thinks it's his fault that you're upset, you are doing it wrong.
    He's not upset about us being upset, he's upset that he wont be able to go. We didn't say to him that it was his fault, he picked that up himself - he may be 5 years old - but he's a bloody bright and sharp 5 year old!. We've already told him that if we can't go on Monday we'll try and go as soon as he's better and been stressing to him that it isn't his fault.

If you end up not going, you tell him you're going on holiday and then take him to the zoo or farm park or somewhere else he finds exciting... he honestly won't realise the difference at that age! If you have to, tell him the aeroplane broke down or Majorca was too rainy, or something and you've decided to have a special holiday at home! What ever you do, don't blame those spots! This a white-lie occasion!
    Had he not already known what we were doing this might work - but unfortunately - he knows the score

I completely agree with @aerospacemango that if there is doubt, you must not go for the sake of everyone else on the flight. Some poor family could end up stranded at the end of their fortnight away, not allowed on the plane because their child has come up in spots... the incubation period for chickenpox is two weeks.
    I agree - but also disagree to an extent and for purely selfish reasons too. Like I said earlier, if we got up on Sunday, or if he had just broken out in spots yesterday - I would have cancelled there and then - but its been nearly a week since he got them and the vast majority are blistering and scabbing now.
    He seems to scab about a day after he blisters. I haven't seen him today so I cannot speak about what's possibly been seen today.

We have had so much conflicting advice that we really don't know anymore .. For everyone who says they were refused to fly there are those who say they were allowed to. For everyone who said they only lasted 6 days before scabbing there are those who say it took 10-14 days to scab.

There is no set timescale on it - I know that and accept that.

That is why I am going to keep hanging on to that one single remaining thread of hope - because someone damned well has to!

Anyway its hometime... so will try and catch up later

Thank Post
    If you do cancel do you not get money back due to small print or do you have insurance so you can claim on that and get your money back that way or was the said holiday paid for by credit card or what exactly ?

No way they can let you move the holiday to another time frame or would you have to rebook it if you managed to get money back from cancellation or what exactly ?

Thank Post
    Sorry if it sounded like I was getting at you @Gatt... I'm really hoping you get to go and have been all along.... you've had a tough time and need this break.

However, being selfish because you need a holiday or to avoid upsetting a 5 year old could be very selfish in terms of someone else's health. It could be much worse than a ruined holiday... think of the Mum-to-be who might be on that flight if nothing else.

If on Monday morning, you are still not sure then please don't go to the airport.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That's a bit harsh, @elsiegee40! Not like you at all
    Nowhere did he say that he was going to try and beat the system and get on the plane when he shouldnt, by hiding spots or whatever, so I dont think he is being selfish at all.
    He is just hoping that things will be OK by the time he has to go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That's a bit harsh, @elsiegee40! Not like you at all
    Nowhere did he say that he was going to try and beat the system and get on the plane when he shouldnt, by hiding spots or whatever, so I dont think he is being selfish at all.
    He is just hoping that things will be OK by the time he has to go.
    Sorry @witch and @Gatt that wasn't meant the way it may have sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    I agree - but also disagree to an extent and for purely selfish reasons too.
    I don't think Gatt is inherently selfish, I was trying counter what he said. I'm sure he'll do the right thing.

Thank Post
    Just to clarify - If he had just broken out in them, then no I wouldn't be going - end of.
    As for the "purely selfish" comment, I'm not at all suggesting that I would take him on a just cos I wanted a plate - IF he was still highly contagious!
    What I meant was that I keep seeing and hearing people going on about how they've been abroad, how they booked it ages ago, and how everything seems to go swimmingly for them - but we've had so much go wrong recently that we were all looking forward to this - and then this happened...

I really appreciate everyone's comment and concerns - I really do appreciate them all

Thank Post
    Looking much better today, spots not as "angry" looking and virtually everyone has a scab!
    A few very small spots are either blistering or receding so its looking promising now

He still has traces of Calamine in some of the larger ones, so we're gonna give him a quick shower later and see how he looks.

Thank Post
    Fingers crossed

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Gatt (14th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ..and here too...

14. Thanks to witch from:

Gatt (14th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Well we're all packed!!

Gatt Jr is still spotty but all the spots have scabs over them (so long has he doesn't pick any of the buggers off!!!)

Now just settling down to enjoy the rest of the evening as it'll be an early start in the morning - and I will need at least 3 mugs of Coffee before I'm awake enough!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Well we're all packed!!

Gatt Jr is still spotty but all the spots have scabs over them (so long has he doesn't pick any of the buggers off!!!)

Now just settling down to enjoy the rest of the evening as it'll be an early start in the morning - and I will need at least 3 mugs of Coffee before I'm awake enough!!
    Thunderbirds are GO!

Well done

17. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Gatt (15th July 2012)

Thank Post
    We're all off to sunny Spain!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast