+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Has someone gone and pushed the Jetstream north? in General; Originally Posted by JJonas No its been pushed south That being said, there is evidence of a slight northwards drift ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    That being said, there is evidence of a slight northwards drift next week - the weather forecast looks promising. Perhaps the pattern is shifting, or as per the aforementioned article, it is stuck in a pattern cycle so we get 1 week of lovely hot weather and 6 weeks of rain...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    We've had that strange yellow disk in the sky this morning.

I was driving back up the M20 from Ashford this afternoon and had just got to Maidstone junction when the sky turned black and I drove at 70mph into a wall of water. Blue sky and dry road and then zero visibility. Full speed wipers made no difference. It was truly terrifying trying to slow to a crawl when I could see neither the car in front nor the one behind.

With my teenagers acting as spotters, I made it to the inside lane and got off the motorway having decided that I'd feel safer doing the rest of the journey on minor roads. The rain slowed within a couple of minutes, but it felt like hours. My heart is still recovering. Spectacular lightning all the way home... I think we're about to get some more. It's suddenly gone dark again.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 11th July 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    We've had that strange yellow disk in the sky this morning.

I was driving back up the M20 from Ashford this afternoon and had just got to Maidstone junction when the sky turned black and I drove at 70mph into a wall of water. Blue sky and dry road and then zero visibility. Full speed wipers made no difference. It was truly terrifying trying to slow to a crawl when I could see neither the car in front nor the one behind.

With my teenagers acting as spotters, I made it to the inside lane and got off the motorway having decided that I'd feel safer doing the rest of the journey on minor roads. The rain slowed within a couple of minutes, but it felt like hours. My heart is still recovering. Spectacular lightning all the way home... I think we're about to get some more. It's suddenly gone dark again.
    It did that to me on the M27 last weekend - it was like driving through Niagara Falls! I find if you put your fog lights on, it at least makes you more visible to cars behind - I just wish the people in front would do the same. I'm hoping the storm holds off at least until I can get home to enjoy it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    It did that to me on the M27 last weekend - it was like driving through Niagara Falls! I find if you put your fog lights on, it at least makes you more visible to cars behind - I just wish the people in front would do the same. I'm hoping the storm holds off at least until I can get home to enjoy it.
    It happened so fast, the immediate thought was "Slow down"... the downpour can't have lasted more than a couple of minutes before it gave way to heavy rain and lightning.

I was driving a Volvo so the lights were on anyway. I just slammed the wipers on and tried to slow down, there wasn't time to think about fog lights immediately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I looked at uk.weather.com, which is usually quite good. Trouble is, Atlantic systems tend to be finger-waving exercised at the best of times. Still looks like showers when I go to see the Queen this afternoon.
    My grandaughter was on the local tv talking to the Queen and made her laugh. Trouble is, another girl's head was in the way and you could only see her ponytail. We knew who it was though. The kids I took to the cathedral throughly enjoyed themselves and were really close to Her Maj.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    We have also enjoyed this strange orange disk phenomenon here in Yorkshire this afternoon its been very pleasant and enjoyable long may it continue

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    It was nice the sun today but unfortuntly it seems every time I walked outside it decided to pee it down within about a minute. Walk back into building and within a minute the torrential downpour stopped. Plus being in Central london which is just full of people (who get in the way). And a train which was supposed to leave @ 8:25 which didn't arrive into the station until 9:14 all in all crap day!!!

Thank Post
    North Atlantic - Surf Charts - Magicseaweed.com
    My weapon of choice for long range weather
    Si

Thank Post
    One word - Rain-x...I got caught in one of those "are the wipers doing anything" deluges last week with the kiddies and Missus...visibility was fine, as long as you didn't get fazed by the white "mist" 6 inches above ground level caused by the rain rebounding due to the force of it. All lights on, keep gently riding the brake pedal to dry the rotors, job's a good'un..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    There's a strange yellow disc in the sky at the moment. Does anyone know what it is and should I report it as a UFO?
    This made me laugh in Private Eye a couple of weeks ago...

11. Thanks to PICNIC from:

SimpleSi (12th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Its sunny here in t'old Sheffield, for now anyway, weather forecast says rain at lunchtime, i hope not all this rain means my lawn is a foot deep and it needs a haircut!

Thank Post
    sunny on Norfolk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It happened so fast, the immediate thought was "Slow down"... the downpour can't have lasted more than a couple of minutes before it gave way to heavy rain and lightning.

I was driving a Volvo so the lights were on anyway. I just slammed the wipers on and tried to slow down, there wasn't time to think about fog lights immediately.
    You must be just down the road from me, because we had three colossal downpours yesterday, the second and third with thunder and lightning.

This morning all was sunny and serene.

I'm hoping for a bit more rain to save me from using my hosepipe on the paddy field that was once my lawn.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12