+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help with a Warranty in General; Hi, Can someone help me with a warranty issue we have? We ordered a Lacie 4Tb rack mount drive the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help with a Warranty

Hi,

Can someone help me with a warranty issue we have?

We ordered a Lacie 4Tb rack mount drive the other month and it isn't working. We logged the call with Lacie and with the company and after many attempts at fixing it we believe it is not suitable for the job. So we asked for our money back.

This is what we had in reply:

I have heard back from Lacie who will do a warranty repair on this unit. They have asked for the address and contact details of where the item is, can you please let me know where you would like Lacie to go to arrange this. Regarding a refund, I have tried everything and I am sorry to say to because of Lacie’s warranty and T&C’s there is nothing we can do other than get this unit repaired. They will not issue a replacement as it is now out of the replacement warranty.
    Lacie’s warranty for a swap is 60 days, which we would have been able to do when the call was originally logged. However due to the time of the case closed (23/05) and now it is over the 60day limit.
    So we logged the case in time for a refund but due to the slowness of it being dealt with and regardless of us doing what they have said the above. We are not happy with the device and wanted a refund.

Any advice? Or am I totally wrong (which I often am) in asking for a refund for a faulty device?

Cheers

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    If the original case was logged within the time period for a swap out then you should still get one.

Refund is trickier.

Ben

Thank Post
    Bear in mind that since you're not a retail customer your rights are slightly different. I don't think you can use the Sale of Goods Act to claim the product isn't of merchantable quality and you want a replacement. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I suggest you start shouting at people. Tell your supplier you won't deal with them unless they get it sorted, and tell Lacie their product sucks donkey todgers and you'll never use them again, etc etc.

Thank Post
    I think it's a time thing, around 30 days if it stops working you can normally get your money back and any time after that it's a case of them repairing or replacing the item at their discretion.

A few months ago I had experience with 3 dodgy NAS drives that had failed under warranty and we waited ages for them to get refurb units sent out to us. We now use QNAP instead.

Thank Post
    Entirely depends on what the suppliers T&C's are

Misco: Business Customers Terms & Conditions - Misco.co.uk

Ben

Thank Post
    Sales of Goods Act applies in the UK no matter if its supplying to "trade" or "consumer", providing that you are purchasing the item through a business, at least as I remember being taught.

The manufacturer deem the unit to be faulty (its a Lacie NAS), it wouldnt join the domain with us initially, (its a windows XP embedded based NAS), it then was unable to allow us access to the RUN command (you need to basically configure everything on the device through RDP on the unit), several rebuilds later with different issues each time and its basically not repaired once following their steps to any decent satisfaction, once it came back without the run command, once then you couldnt rename the device, again then no run command, now it appears that the disks in the unit are completely faulty, as it wont detect any volumes at all in the device.

To make matters worse now the supplier is trying to wriggle out of returning the device, despite us raising these issues with them shortly after taking delivery of the device.

Thank Post
    Sales of Goods Act B2B - UK Business Forums

You may have less protection in a b2b transaction.

What are the T&C's of the supplier you've bought from? you would have agreed to those when you set up an account to trade with them.

Ben

Thank Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but your 'contract' of sale is with the person/company you purchased it from and not the manufacturer so it's them you need to deal/argue with I think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread