+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Go for it or stay where I am... in General; Ok first time poster here, got a feeling I'm posting this in the wrong section but here goes... Been working ...

Thank Post

Go for it or stay where I am...

Ok first time poster here, got a feeling I'm posting this in the wrong section but here goes...

Been working in a primary school since September now, the school is managed by RM - I've really enjoyed it, get on well with all the staff.

I've applied for a job at a high school closer to where I live, unmanaged and more wages as I will work all year round, unlike at the moment only term time. Main reason for applying is ideally I want to try and get away from admin work I do and supporting classes, not that I don't like doing it but I didn't study 3 years of I.T. to do them, like at the moment my job consists of 50% admin and 50% I.T. - I would love to get nearer the 80% involving I.T.

If I stay where I am, I'm going to have to work at two schools, 2.5 days a week each, which I'm a bit anxious about as the problems at the school I'm at now aren't going to disappear and I'll have less time to sort them. Just got a feeling my workload is going to increase and I'll have no time.

So, if I do have a chance of the new job do I take it, or stay where I am and get a couple of more years on my CV...

Thank Post
    Go for it, in a high school will have which you'll gain much more experience at working with a bigger more complex network, plus as you say you'll be working full time on the network.

3. Thanks to teejay from:

blunty91 (7th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Speaking as an ex- recruitment consultant, I would say the following:
    When looking for a job - apply for a job you like the look of and which is good for your progression, job satisfaction etc.
    Don't think about it again until you get an interview.
    Go for the interview and see if you like the job. Think about it. If you do, great! If you don't, don't go any further - tell them no and bow out.
    Wait till you are offered the job.
    At that point AND NOT BEFORE you look at all factors - the job, the salary, the job satisfaction etc.
    There is no point agonising until they offer you the job.
    Having said all that, if you did get the job then I think it would be a good step for you to take.

5. 3 Thanks to witch:

blunty91 (7th July 2012), Cache (8th July 2012), elsiegee40 (7th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blunty91 View Post
    Been working in a primary school since September now, the school is managed by RM.....

If I stay where I am, I'm going to have to work at two schools, 2.5 days a week each, which I'm a bit anxious about as the problems at the school I'm at now aren't going to disappear and I'll have less time to sort them
    Surely all issues at an RM school are just little things.

LOL....

Rob

Thank Post
    Lets not derail this thread into an RM bashing one. It's not what the OP is asking and not helpful! ;-)

I'd say check out the new place if you can arrange a visit beforehand and then if you still like it, go for the interview and then following on from that make your final decision. It might look nice on paper but when you get there you might not like it for some reason.

Thank Post
    GO FOR IT...

Set yourself Free!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    GO FOR IT...

Set yourself Free!!!!
    From the fat, into the fire and all that, sometimes. ;-)

Or whatever the saying is! :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    From the fat, into the fire and all that, sometimes. ;-)

Or whatever the saying is! :P
    Frying pan into the fire.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,692 Posts
    ...unless I am going mad, the OP hasn't even got an interview yet, never mind a job offer.
    He applied for the job because he was interested and thought he might progress.
    That's it
    Nothing more needs to be done or said at this point.....

12. Thanks to witch from:

blunty91 (7th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Ok first time poster here, got a feeling I'm posting this in the wrong section but here goes...

Been working in a primary school since September now, the school is managed by RM - I've really enjoyed it, get on well with all the staff.

I've applied for a job at a high school closer to where I live, unmanaged and more wages as I will work all year round, unlike at the moment only term time. Main reason for applying is ideally I want to try and get away from admin work I do and supporting classes, not that I don't like doing it but I didn't study 3 years of I.T. to do them, like at the moment my job consists of 50% admin and 50% I.T. - I would love to get nearer the 80% involving I.T.

If I stay where I am, I'm going to have to work at two schools, 2.5 days a week each, which I'm a bit anxious about as the problems at the school I'm at now aren't going to disappear and I'll have less time to sort them. Just got a feeling my workload is going to increase and I'll have no time.

So, if I do have a chance of the new job do I take it, or stay where I am and get a couple of more years on my CV...
    this is just my experience, and chances are a lot of people will have a different experience, but i found that working on my lonesome managing a smaller network i could only take my experience so far. Sometimes, it's useful just for the chance to see and experience a different setup. So you might go from administering a hosted email system at a smallish school to an onsite exchange instance at a larger school. Or going from finding your way around a flat network to a vlan'ed one with proper L3 core switches. The technical side isn't the only thing to consider obviously, but just ask yourself what you'd gain from staying where you are. It might be that you can spend those two years fixing the problems you've talked about which would indeed be something to add to your CV. But then again it's not about adding the years to the CV, but the quality of those years in terms of what you actually can learn and how you can develop.

14. Thanks to alttab from:

blunty91 (8th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I would say defiantly go for IT. Secondary schools have a lot of things to play around with and gain experience!

16. Thanks to glennda from:

blunty91 (8th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Easy way - let's break all that down into points for staying (with a ) and points for going ()

Been working in a primary school since September now, the school is managed by RM - I've really enjoyed it, get on well with all the staff

I've applied for a job at a high school closer to where I live, unmanaged and more wages as I will work all year round, unlike at the moment only term time. Main reason for applying is ideally I want to try and get away from admin work I do and supporting classes, not that I don't like doing it but I didn't study 3 years of I.T. to do them, like at the moment my job consists of 50% admin and 50% I.T. - I would love to get nearer the 80% involving I.T .

(I've marked unmanaged as a reason to go as it'll give you more experience and you'll earn more knowledge - not knocking CC3/4 as I've no experience of them, but "managed by RM" sounds more like RM run the ICT wholly and the techie is just an on-site pair of hands)

Which all adds up to 1 and 4 . Sounds like you've already made your decision.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say apply, it sounds like progression and what you're looking for. It also sounds like you're bored with the current environment you work in and want more of a challenge. Listen to what Witch has said don't think too hard about it just apply then wait to hear back about an interview if nothing comes of it then no worry just keep an eye out for other more fitting positions to what you want

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread