+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
General Chat Thread, NASA Curiosity Rover Now One Month From Arriving At Mars in General; Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx Yes. Yes it is. But only the once. Joking aside, you shouldn't waste your time on ...
  1. #31

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,497
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Yes. Yes it is. But only the once.

    Joking aside, you shouldn't waste your time on the Daily Mail. Like an addictive narcotic, it's tempting to look in on it once in a while, but it leaves you the poorer for it. If reading an article in the DM doesn't make you angry or aggrieved towards a sector of society then the editors have not done their job well. As for the comments, the range from imbecilic to neurotic. The occasional sane soul has their comments down-voted to obscurity.
    Very true. Its fun for a laugh sometimes though.

  2. #32

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,935
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 471 Times in 324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Very true. Its fun for a laugh sometimes though.
    I'm not so sure. I think it's a nasty, provocative and bigoted paper. It's best avoided.

  3. #33

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,698
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Very true. Its fun for a laugh sometimes though.
    They sometimes make amusing editorial errors [Daily Mail, Daily Express, Daily Mirror,...]

    Link: Daily Express Olympic Medal Picture Error
    Last edited by DaveP; 8th August 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Add detail to the post.

  4. #34

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,228
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Given their education policies will they have any scientists left by 2030 or will they have all been thrown out or burnt at the stake by then.
    I think they'll still be scientists, but in what capacity who knows. Maybe it'll end up being a real life Total Recall They just need to remember to plant some trees so everyone can breath!

  5. #35

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,935
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 471 Times in 324 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think they'll still be scientists, but in what capacity who knows. Maybe it'll end up being a real life Total Recall They just need to remember to plant some trees so everyone can breath!
    Quite so. After all, "Dees people need ayuh!"

  6. #36

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,228
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    I'm speculating the only reason no group of scientists have planted trees on Mars, is because it would change its atmospheric properties. I suppose in a way it could jeopardise any evidence of past or existing life.

    Would I be right in thinking though that with enough trees, it would no longer be 'the red planet' but more like Earth, but considerably cooler?

  7. #37

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,568
    Thank Post
    833
    Thanked 872 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    324
    I was going to poo-poo the idea, but according to the fountain of all knowledge (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars) Mars atmosphere is 95% Carbon Dioxide and the soil contains the right mix of nutrients so a hardy bread of tree might actually survive there if we could find enough water for it. Now how many tree's do you think it'll take to terraform the planet?

    Thinking about life on mars though (no I'm not having a 70's flash back), haven't they found evidence of water? If they have then some bacterial or algae life can't be beyond the realms of possibility (not quite the over lords I was hoping for (but contenders for Dr Who villains non the less)). Even if life isn't already there, it'd be interesting to see if some our own lower order organisms could be introduced...

  8. #38

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,698
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm speculating the only reason no group of scientists have planted trees on Mars, is because it would change its atmospheric properties. I suppose in a way it could jeopardise any evidence of past or existing life.

    Would I be right in thinking though that with enough trees, it would no longer be 'the red planet' but more like Earth, but considerably cooler?
    The pull of gravity on Mars is substantially lower than that on Earth making it more difficult for Mars to retain an atmosphere.

    But it is not just the lower gravity it is also a lack of geological activity in the core. Mars is smaller than Earth and it has lost heat to space more rapidly than Earth. Compare this with Earth: We see volcanoes as a result of very high temperatures at the core. Earth's outer core is liquid metal surrounding a solid metal inner core. This is where the Earth's geomagnetic filed originates and this protects our atmosphere from being blown into space by the solar wind.

    Any more substantial that used to exist on Mars has been eroded by the solar wind.

  9. #39

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,228
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I was going to poo-poo the idea, but according to the fountain of all knowledge (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars) Mars atmosphere is 95% Carbon Dioxide and the soil contains the right mix of nutrients so a hardy bread of tree might actually survive there if we could find enough water for it. Now how many tree's do you think it'll take to terraform the planet?

    Thinking about life on mars though (no I'm not having a 70's flash back), haven't they found evidence of water? If they have then some bacterial or algae life can't be beyond the realms of possibility (not quite the over lords I was hoping for (but contenders for Dr Who villains non the less)). Even if life isn't already there, it'd be interesting to see if some our own lower order organisms could be introduced...
    Probably a few million trees to make any difference (as a guess) and I thought there was water under the surface of Mars...

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    The pull of gravity on Mars is substantially lower than that on Earth making it more difficult for Mars to retain an atmosphere.

    But it is not just the lower gravity it is also a lack of geological activity in the core. Mars is smaller than Earth and it has lost heat to space more rapidly than Earth. Compare this with Earth: We see volcanoes as a result of very high temperatures at the core. Earth's outer core is liquid metal surrounding a solid metal inner core. This is where the Earth's geomagnetic filed originates and this protects our atmosphere from being blown into space by the solar wind.

    Any more substantial that used to exist on Mars has been eroded by the solar wind.
    But it must have a strong enough atmosphere if it's able to hold Carbon Dioxide. It would simply be a case of turning that into Oxygen. As for the core, you're right but I think 'man' are stubborn and they'll do anything to make living on Mars possible.

  10. #40

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,568
    Thank Post
    833
    Thanked 872 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Probably a few million trees to make any difference (as a guess) and I thought there was water under the surface of Mars...
    There are 7.5 trillion trees in the Amazon rainforest. Transplanting all of them would have a major effect on both planets - Earth would become more like Mars, and Mars would have 7.5 trillion dead trees - oh hum

  11. #41

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,698
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1124
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    ...But it must have a strong enough atmosphere if it's able to hold Carbon Dioxide. It would simply be a case of turning that into Oxygen. As for the core, you're right but I think 'man' are stubborn and they'll do anything to make living on Mars possible.
    There is a thin atmosphere of Carbon Dioxide [95% by abundance] Oxygen content is 0.13%.

    Anything living exposed to the atmosphere on Mars would have to be able to tolerate high Carbon Dioxide concentrations, low atmospheric pressure [0.087 PSI vs Earth's at 14.69 PSI at sea level] and high levels of UV and cosmic radiation due to the lack of an Ozone layer and lack of geomagnetic field [as mentioned earlier]

  12. #42

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,228
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    There are 7.5 trillion trees in the Amazon rainforest. Transplanting all of them would have a major effect on both planets - Earth would become more like Mars, and Mars would have 7.5 trillion dead trees - oh hum
    I meant just to make a very small noticeable difference, but yes trillions of trees would be needed for life (if it were possible).

  13. #43

    Miscbrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    868
    Thank Post
    241
    Thanked 240 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Yes, an astonishing achievement. And being nuclear powered, the experiments and data could continue for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    So, what I want to know is - why am I paying 135p a litre?
    Because if you crash your car into a lamp post hard enough it'll go bang. If you crash your Mr Fusion car into a lamp post hard enough it'll go bang and so will the rest of the street, and irradiate the neighborhood.

    And people would build bombs out of them.

    And I wouldn't seriously buy a nuclear fission device someone at Vauxhall had made, because they can't even make you an EGR valve that doesn't fall off after 30 miles (right SirBendy?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Historic Mars Launch: NASA Giant Rover 'Curiosity' Blasts Off
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th November 2011, 04:37 PM
  2. HP DC7900 All-In-One PCs from only 479.00!
    By WStore_Dan in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 05:56 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25th September 2009, 09:21 PM
  4. Dell Optiplex 760 USFF all-in-one PC - from 529.00 delivered
    By WStore_Dan in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd June 2009, 09:42 AM
  5. Multiple internal website access with one ip from the net
    By binky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th November 2006, 05:14 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •