+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Moving to London. Rent advice? in General; ...

Thank Post

Moving to London. Rent advice?

Well, looks like I got a job in London! (From this very site)

This is sort of a plea for information regarding properties to rent. The Mrs and I plan to buy a house in 6 months. Does anyone know of any decent flats for around/under £800 a month rent that is NOT a house share and will accept just a 6 month contract? We also have two cats that must come with us! Looking around the south south/west of London, Croydon area maybe?

Not sure what the likely hood of a 6 month contract is though. Otherwise can anyone recommend a way of getting a bedsit for myself for a month or so until we can buy a house?

Also, are there any popular London specific music forums I can join?

Cheers!

Rob.

Thank Post
    Cant really give you any advice here, however if i were in your position i would be using the map view on Zoopla to quickly search for apartments/flats/houses.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    @Ric_ is one person who has moved to London and is renting and could be a good one to talk to, also @Soulfish works in London but commutes in and I know he was looking at moving closer in the future and has done some reasearch and our ever amazing magical mystical @Domino works in London and moved closer to it recently so could maybe give pointers as well for you

Thank Post
    I was going to say you're optimistic wanting to pay £800 a month but from a quick look Croydon would be do-able for that. But then its Croydon
    The price we pay for our 2 bed flat is well over double that, but then it is zone 2 and thankfully shared between 4 people

Where is your job? As with everything in London it's all about proximity to public transport (if you're going to use it)
    If you're not or are happy with a walk to the nearest station, you'll pay less

6 month contract will be difficult but probably not impossible. The cats are probably more difficult

To be honest you'd be best off researching exactly where you want to live, checking out properties online, then contacting some letting agents in that area with your details and maybe going down one weekend for viewings
    Last edited by sidewinder; 5th July 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in Bromley - and that targets easily achievable down here. Bout 40 mins into the city on the train too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I was going to say you're optimistic wanting to pay £800 a month but from a quick look Croydon would be do-able for that. But then its Croydon
    The price we pay for our 2 bed flat is well over double that, but then it is zone 2 and thankfully shared between 4 people

Where is your job? As with everything in London it's all about proximity to public transport (if you're going to use it)
    If you're not or are happy with a walk to the nearest station, you'll pay less

6 month contract will be difficult but probably not impossible. The cats are probably more difficult

To be honest you'd be best off researching exactly where you want to live, checking out properties online, then contacting some letting agents in that area with your details and maybe going down one weekend for viewings
    Thanks for this reply.

I know it is optimistic but we are exploring all avenues.

I'll be working near Wimbledon so anything along the district line or easily accessible will be useful. (We don't drive). We will be trying to look at properties later this month.

Thank Post
    Ah Wimbledon, nice. Near to us - my school is in Richmond

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread