+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, You know the 'Think 21 policy'? in General; Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj as stated earlier in the thread I find it amusing that a bar will have 18 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    as stated earlier in the thread I find it amusing that a bar will have 18 year old deciding who look over 21 and who doesn't.
    I'd say that an 18 year old would be better at eyeballing someone's age around that 18 +- 3 region than someone in their 30s ("they're all just kids to me") so it doesn't seem so daft.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Never been carded either... Even when I was (tut tut) an underage drinker! I was a tall 16 year old...
    I've only been carded since being an overage drinker... but it was never much use being the only one in a group of (16yo) friends not getting carded to get into the club, not about to go in on me own for the evening!

(This in Skegness, by the by, where I have genuinely heard a bouncer telling a group of 13 year olds that "you lot aren't old enough to be in here... try [bar] over the road, they'll let you in")

Thank Post
    It is ridiculous the way people choose to interpret the rule to make life difficult for you. There is a world of difference between people buying wine in the supermarket and barely-legal people buying alco-pops in an offie! I've seen people banned by supermarket managers when they complain about the overzealousness of the cashier. It's ludicrous. If the person buying the alcohol is over 18 then responsibility and consequences of supplying that alcohol to under-18s then becomes theirs. I appreciate that the shops are trying to stop the supply of booze to underagers but two people in their 30's buying a few bottles of White Zinfandel for a BBQ are hardly going to be supplying it to kids are they (except at the BBQ but then a completely new rule applies where kids can have X amount of booze under parental supervision in the family home)? Kids are more likely to want Vodka or Bacardi that they can pour into an innocent-looking bottle of coke or lemonade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I agree...there should be another option of ID
    There's always CitizenCard. I got mine within 3 weeks of ordering it for £15, can get it faster for a bit more money though, £30 I believe?
    Some people have reported that it gets rejected, but it's got all the 100% mumbo jumbo on it, I don't think they're allowed to turn it down without good reason.
    Last edited by DMcGuigan; 2nd July 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: price fix

Thank Post
    I got ID'ed in a supermarket in Ireland 2 years ago. I was with my wife and her two daughters 15 and 13. Fair enough I thought and produced my UK driving license. The girl on the checkout looked at it as if she'd never seen a driving license before and asked if I had anything else. I said no and that the card should be sufficient (I was only buting 6 cans of guinness anyway, did she really think it was for the girls). She ended up taking it to a security guard and they both looked as though they'd never seen one before, before telling me that it was no good. Wasn't too fussed as they lost the sale and I went into the newsagents next door and got the beer instead.

My point to this is if you are working in a supermarket in britain (as my mum does) you are trained on what ID cards you can take (this includes EU drivers licenses) so why is there a double standard for EU countries not accepting a UK license. The girl on the checkout freely admitted that if it had been an EU license that would have been OK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    UK licenses *are* EU licenses? Hence them having the EU flag on them. Is yours older than that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was with my wife and I got asked for ID I asked what it was for it was for the 15 rated chick flick! The check out person would not sell it as my wife had no ID I asked to see the supervisor and she put it through no problem. Did not even what to see my ID.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    I once had a stand up arguement with a checkout lady - I was buying a bottle of whiskey for a friends birthday. I had my girlfriend with me at the time, She said to me "Does she have ID?" I was like er no, im buying it. She said "She needs ID because you could be buying it for her" I said but its me thats buying it, Do I look over 25? but she wouldnt have it! I can understand in a way but annoying because I went specially for that! Was not impressed at the time.
    I had a similar one; me and a mate went to the local Morrison's to grab some beers. I had my ID, he didn't so they wouldn't serve us; fair enough. We went back to his to get ID and in true mate style I made him go back on his own rather than trek there again myself (hey, I had my ID!). He went to the same til with the same drinks, showed his ID and was asked
    "Where is your friend's ID?"
    "Well, I didn't bring it back, because you ID'd me last time I drew the short straw and had to walk back here"
    "Can't serve you without his ID"
    "But he showed you his ID 10 minutes ago!"
    "Doesn't matter, I'm not serving you"

Well, Morrison's lost about £30 that day and we went to an off licence instead!

Another time, I got refused entry to a club because my passport had expired - I always carry my expired passport (I don't drive so have no licence) because I've lost 2 passports already on nights out!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 2nd July 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    It's ludicrous. If the person buying the alcohol is over 18 then responsibility and consequences of supplying that alcohol to under-18s then becomes theirs.
    Unfortunately (perhaps) that's not quite true. The individual might well be caught and charged with supply of alcohol to a minor (or equivalent) but the shop can lose their licence to sell alcohol if they are implicated. That could mean a huge chunk of business and for a small shop, that might be critical.

Thank Post
    In all the time I've been drinking - the only time I've ever had to produce ID was on my 18th, in a place I'd been drinking in for about 6 months.

I found out later that a colleague where I worked had tried to stitch me up - only for the landlord to okay it (even though he realised I'd been drinking illegally beforehand). Problem for said colleague was - he was under 18 by almost a year and the landlord ID'd and turned him away due to an 'anonymous tip' *nudge, nudge*

I do remember getting ID'd once when I was 28 - I have no idea why I just looked at the girl serving me and said <BarneyStinson>"Please"</BarneyStinson>, but that seemed to convince her I was over 18.

(I must add - I'm normally a LOT more polite to people doing their jobs and 99 times out of 100 I'd have simply produced the ID)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can totally understand why they do it if im honest...but surely, USE A BIT OF COMMON SENSE!!! Like @sippo said, they were doing full shop and they got ID'd?! Stupid! I get a bit tetchy when some sniffly 16/17yr old asks me for ID and I wanna say...Yeah, and Can I see your ID?! I once got asked by a barman who clearly thought I was underage (Think I was about 22 at the time) he sniffly said "You got any ID?" and my reply was simply..."Yes thank you" :P

Thank Post
    I want to know why you get carded if you have underpants and shortys(sic)?

Thank Post
    Like said common sense should come into it. My friend got ID'd for fags when the legal age was 16, iirc she was 25. I can sort of understand someone thinking a 25 year old is under 18 but under 16? Really?

We all went into a supermarket one time, 6 or 7 of us. All but one got served no problem, we were around 26 at the time. They point blank refused to serve him even though he was in his HGV works uniform covered in oil and crap. After we all stopped laughing we turned to the woman and said "does that mean you are going to take all our beer off us because we are obviously going to give him some of ours?". One of us took his beer off him and put it through another till and gave it back to him once paid for...

Common sense. If there are 6 or 7 people who are all obviously over 25, as demonstrated by the fact we didn't get asked for ID, then why ask only 1 of us?

Then at the other end of the scale why is it you can go into nightclubs and see kids from your school? Well the main club I'm thinking of here would be empty if it didn't let schoolies in.

Funniest one though is we all used to go to the pub down the road from our school during school time. The staff said as long as we took our ties off and behaved ourselves we were OK... so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I moaned too much about schoolies being served (did I mention we were 13-14 when we first started going?)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 2nd July 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Another time, I got refused entry to a club because my passport had expired - I always carry my expired passport (I don't drive so have no licence) because I've lost 2 passports already on nights out!
    Which is dumb, as you can actually fly internally in the UK on a passport up to 5 years out of validity as a photo-id... jobsworth returns, it seems.

Thank Post
    i regurly get carded my last one was for buying a scratch card at my local "supermarket" and the person who id me said i looked 12 when i asked why. i have a beard thats well groomed would a 12 year old have one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    It is ridiculous the way people choose to interpret the rule to make life difficult for you. There is a world of difference between people buying wine in the supermarket and barely-legal people buying alco-pops in an offie! I've seen people banned by supermarket managers when they complain about the overzealousness of the cashier. It's ludicrous. If the person buying the alcohol is over 18 then responsibility and consequences of supplying that alcohol to under-18s then becomes theirs. I appreciate that the shops are trying to stop the supply of booze to underagers but two people in their 30's buying a few bottles of White Zinfandel for a BBQ are hardly going to be supplying it to kids are they (except at the BBQ but then a completely new rule applies where kids can have X amount of booze under parental supervision in the family home)? Kids are more likely to want Vodka or Bacardi that they can pour into an innocent-looking bottle of coke or lemonade.
    actually from working in a shop, if you are caught selling alcohol to someone under-age or are caught selling alcohol to someone who then supplies alcohol to the kids they just went through the till with, the cashier is fined and loose's there job, that is why they are overzealous.

to look at it another way its the same on our network if a student is hoarding millions of illegal MP3s on the school network and the police find out, the technicians will become suspects as they should of had steps in place to prevent such a thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast