+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 205
General Chat Thread, Still have a rubbish car aged 29 in General; New cars can be nothing but hassle. The worry of someone dinging it in the car park, expensive repairs, and ...
  1. #106
    Gibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    902
    Thank Post
    207
    Thanked 344 Times in 238 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    New cars can be nothing but hassle. The worry of someone dinging it in the car park, expensive repairs, and so on.

    Sometimes I think I'd be happier bombing around in a old Pug 205 GTI.

  2. #107

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,029
    Thank Post
    105
    Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    True, this is the first new car i've owned and in 3 years had two non fault accidents, previous to that with old cars I didn't care about - not one...
    I worry about scratching it all the time, in fact when the deal is up i'm going back to older cars!

  3. #108

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatkinson View Post
    Sounds like you've got a friday afternoon mondey.

    Im currently running and 06 plate Mondeo Estate TDCI Titanium X, with just over 92k on it.

    Its had an exhaust and some tires (3 sets to be exact) in the 2 years and 50,000 miles ive owned it. Spot on.
    And the best bit is i have a friend with a Porsche 928 (V8) and he can't keep up on country lanes.
    It's in the sweet spot for a set of injectors. My garage was chatting with an associate who maintains a fleet of 2.0/2.2 TDCI transits for a customer. Injectors are seen as a service item by them and 85K-100K seems to be the limit on the Delphi Ones. and at £1000 a set it's eye waterign if you have to pay for them..


    On the subject of mileage in general.. Most of my cars have been in the order of 150K-200K on the clock and general ran perfectly when disposed of, disposal was general due to general wear and tear and low value.

    Production tolerances over the last 30 years have meant that wear on engine components is significantly lower than earlier designs.

    Rob

  4. #109

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,446
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 168 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    147
    Changed cars last week and it reminded me of this topic. I bought another 5 series BMW running lpg, 70p a litre fuel and a much more pleasurable drive to and from work

  5. #110
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,114
    Thank Post
    826
    Thanked 357 Times in 281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    281
    Anyone still have a cassette player in their car?

  6. #111

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,954
    Thank Post
    862
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Anyone still have a cassette player in their car?
    My wife does. eBay is great for tapes on the cheap these days.

  7. #112

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    577
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 89 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    All depends on what your priorities are in life. I've always had a nice car since the age of about 18. Am certainly not rich, in fact I'm probably pretty much your 'average worker'. But I don't really drink, don't smoke, don't spend much money on consumer electronics and don't have kids. My dough has generally gone towards having a decent motor and holidays. Have never had anything newer than 6 years old and have generally gone for bigger cars where you get a hell of a lot of car for the money. Currently driving a 1999 3 litre honda accord coupe. 1 owner, bought it with 45k on the clock 2 years ago. £2000. Its fully loaded, leather seats and drives like a dream. Yep, fuel bills are high, but when you are paying little for servicing thanks to good old tough honda parts and paying no interest to the likes of car giant, it works out to be economical motoring in the long run.
    Last edited by superatticman; 30th August 2012 at 07:29 PM.

  8. #113
    Zoom7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    934
    Thank Post
    306
    Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    I drive an X Reg Toyota Avensis S 1.6 Manual (2000), 4AFE Engine. I bought it for £2200 back in 2006. It's been through the wars through no fault of my own.

    Failures:
    Gearbox failed (Replaced and clutch replaced - £350)
    Driver side electric window mechanism failed (replaced - £50)

    Vandalism:
    I've had a key scratch done twice on the passenger side along the whole length of the car.
    I've had the passenger side mirror kicked off (Replaced - £40)
    I've had the mirror stolen from the driver side mirror (Partially replaced, but electrics don't work anymore - £10)
    Just had my bumper yanked at from the passenger side, cracking the bumper (Fixed - £25)

    Accidents:
    Been hit in the back once. (No damage, told her to get lost!)
    Been hit in the side once. (Slight scratch, there was no point claiming because my excess is £500, told her to go home!)

    I now have 3 kids, so my next car will have to be a 7 seater, but haven't quite worked out how I am gonna afford it yet! When I do get round to working that out, I have 4 priorites:
    It has to be an automatic
    It has to have air conditioning
    It has to be a diesel
    It has to have reasonable luggage space for the bi-annual visit to the in laws in Preston.

    Any ideas? :P

  9. #114
    markcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    586
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I drive an X Reg Toyota Avensis S 1.6 Manual (2000), 4AFE Engine. I bought it for £2200 back in 2006. It's been through the wars through no fault of my own.

    Failures:
    Gearbox failed (Replaced and clutch replaced - £350)
    Driver side electric window mechanism failed (replaced - £50)

    Vandalism:
    I've had a key scratch done twice on the passenger side along the whole length of the car.
    I've had the passenger side mirror kicked off (Replaced - £40)
    I've had the mirror stolen from the driver side mirror (Partially replaced, but electrics don't work anymore - £10)
    Just had my bumper yanked at from the passenger side, cracking the bumper (Fixed - £25)

    Accidents:
    Been hit in the back once. (No damage, told her to get lost!)
    Been hit in the side once. (Slight scratch, there was no point claiming because my excess is £500, told her to go home!)

    I now have 3 kids, so my next car will have to be a 7 seater, but haven't quite worked out how I am gonna afford it yet! When I do get round to working that out, I have 4 priorites:
    It has to be an automatic
    It has to have air conditioning
    It has to be a diesel
    It has to have reasonable luggage space for the bi-annual visit to the in laws in Preston.

    Any ideas? :P
    Toyota previa/estima get an import with all the extras

  10. #115

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,460
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Rep Power
    419
    Why a 7 seater for 3 kids? An estate would give plenty of room for all the stuff if thay are young.

    I've got 3 girls and currently have a megane saloon diesel.

    Ben

  11. #116

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Yes I have a tape player in Our Galaxy, but it's never used as there is a six disk in the back.

    Although we only have 2 kids, having the Galaxy is fantastic being 7 seats.

    We can take the grandparents out, we can take their freinds on a trip, we can move sofa's, I collected 3 engines in one go ( and not small 1L ones... We can get all 4 bikes in and the 4 of us (just).. Very versatile , just a shame it's not a Diesel.

    I would get shot of my Mondeo but it owes me near £1500 of repairs in 7 months. But I may be in a position to cut my losses soon. Then it will be back to a Sierra.

    Rob

  12. #117

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    163
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    I would get shot of my Mondeo but it owes me near £1500 of repairs in 7 months. But I may be in a position to cut my losses soon. Then it will be back to a Sierra.
    Did you do any research with the Mondeo, is that a normal maintance bill? I've been thinking about a Mondeo Estate (ST220) as my first "good" car but having read what you've put here not so sure now.

  13. #118

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    Did you do any research with the Mondeo, is that a normal maintance bill? I've been thinking about a Mondeo Estate (ST220) as my first "good" car but having read what you've put here not so sure now.
    ST220 will be fine, It's mostly items related to the TDCI engine that have caused me problmes. the 24V V6 is a good engine.

    My big costs were a Flywheel and clutch £650, 4 Shocks ( as the ride was appaling and still is! needs springs) £400, A tyre got damaged £70, Disks and pads had to be done as a pad broke up , I forget what that cost... It's also had 2 Injectors but fortunatly they were under warranty.


    I only got the TDCI as I thoguht I would be doign big miles, but only done 6K in 8 months. Should have stuck with my previous car.

    Rob

  14. #119
    Zoom7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    934
    Thank Post
    306
    Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Why a 7 seater for 3 kids? An estate would give plenty of room for all the stuff if thay are young.

    I've got 3 girls and currently have a megane saloon diesel.

    Ben
    I'm not planning to change cars until absolutely necessary, so I meant when we have the next child, I will need a 7 seater. Right now the Toyota is sufficient

  15. #120

    twin--turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carlisle
    Posts
    2,334
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 381 Times in 340 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    My Colleague also has a Galaxy, He has no Kids....

    he does have a 5 person band though and a load of gear

    Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone still have a fave old game ?.
    By Falshire in forum Gaming
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 13th December 2012, 08:25 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th October 2011, 04:55 PM
  3. Still don't have them.
    By mattx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18th September 2009, 04:50 PM
  4. I no longer have a car aerial
    By powdarrmonkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29th June 2009, 10:07 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th May 2008, 12:18 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •