+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Still have a rubbish car aged 29 in General; New cars can be nothing but hassle. The worry of someone dinging it in the car park, expensive repairs, and ...
    Thank Post
    New cars can be nothing but hassle. The worry of someone dinging it in the car park, expensive repairs, and so on.

Sometimes I think I'd be happier bombing around in a old Pug 205 GTI.

Thank Post
    True, this is the first new car i've owned and in 3 years had two non fault accidents, previous to that with old cars I didn't care about - not one...
    I worry about scratching it all the time, in fact when the deal is up i'm going back to older cars!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatkinson View Post
    Sounds like you've got a friday afternoon mondey.

Im currently running and 06 plate Mondeo Estate TDCI Titanium X, with just over 92k on it.

Its had an exhaust and some tires (3 sets to be exact) in the 2 years and 50,000 miles ive owned it. Spot on.
    And the best bit is i have a friend with a Porsche 928 (V8) and he can't keep up on country lanes.
    It's in the sweet spot for a set of injectors. My garage was chatting with an associate who maintains a fleet of 2.0/2.2 TDCI transits for a customer. Injectors are seen as a service item by them and 85K-100K seems to be the limit on the Delphi Ones. and at £1000 a set it's eye waterign if you have to pay for them..

On the subject of mileage in general.. Most of my cars have been in the order of 150K-200K on the clock and general ran perfectly when disposed of, disposal was general due to general wear and tear and low value.

Production tolerances over the last 30 years have meant that wear on engine components is significantly lower than earlier designs.

Rob

Thank Post
    Changed cars last week and it reminded me of this topic. I bought another 5 series BMW running lpg, 70p a litre fuel and a much more pleasurable drive to and from work

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone still have a cassette player in their car?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Anyone still have a cassette player in their car?
    My wife does. eBay is great for tapes on the cheap these days.

Thank Post
    All depends on what your priorities are in life. I've always had a nice car since the age of about 18. Am certainly not rich, in fact I'm probably pretty much your 'average worker'. But I don't really drink, don't smoke, don't spend much money on consumer electronics and don't have kids. My dough has generally gone towards having a decent motor and holidays. Have never had anything newer than 6 years old and have generally gone for bigger cars where you get a hell of a lot of car for the money. Currently driving a 1999 3 litre honda accord coupe. 1 owner, bought it with 45k on the clock 2 years ago. £2000. Its fully loaded, leather seats and drives like a dream. Yep, fuel bills are high, but when you are paying little for servicing thanks to good old tough honda parts and paying no interest to the likes of car giant, it works out to be economical motoring in the long run.
    Last edited by superatticman; 30th August 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I drive an X Reg Toyota Avensis S 1.6 Manual (2000), 4AFE Engine. I bought it for £2200 back in 2006. It's been through the wars through no fault of my own.

Failures:
    Gearbox failed (Replaced and clutch replaced - £350)
    Driver side electric window mechanism failed (replaced - £50)

Vandalism:
    I've had a key scratch done twice on the passenger side along the whole length of the car.
    I've had the passenger side mirror kicked off (Replaced - £40)
    I've had the mirror stolen from the driver side mirror (Partially replaced, but electrics don't work anymore - £10)
    Just had my bumper yanked at from the passenger side, cracking the bumper (Fixed - £25)

Accidents:
    Been hit in the back once. (No damage, told her to get lost!)
    Been hit in the side once. (Slight scratch, there was no point claiming because my excess is £500, told her to go home!)

I now have 3 kids, so my next car will have to be a 7 seater, but haven't quite worked out how I am gonna afford it yet! When I do get round to working that out, I have 4 priorites:
    It has to be an automatic
    It has to have air conditioning
    It has to be a diesel
    It has to have reasonable luggage space for the bi-annual visit to the in laws in Preston.

Any ideas? :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I drive an X Reg Toyota Avensis S 1.6 Manual (2000), 4AFE Engine. I bought it for £2200 back in 2006. It's been through the wars through no fault of my own.

Failures:
    Gearbox failed (Replaced and clutch replaced - £350)
    Driver side electric window mechanism failed (replaced - £50)

Vandalism:
    I've had a key scratch done twice on the passenger side along the whole length of the car.
    I've had the passenger side mirror kicked off (Replaced - £40)
    I've had the mirror stolen from the driver side mirror (Partially replaced, but electrics don't work anymore - £10)
    Just had my bumper yanked at from the passenger side, cracking the bumper (Fixed - £25)

Accidents:
    Been hit in the back once. (No damage, told her to get lost!)
    Been hit in the side once. (Slight scratch, there was no point claiming because my excess is £500, told her to go home!)

I now have 3 kids, so my next car will have to be a 7 seater, but haven't quite worked out how I am gonna afford it yet! When I do get round to working that out, I have 4 priorites:
    It has to be an automatic
    It has to have air conditioning
    It has to be a diesel
    It has to have reasonable luggage space for the bi-annual visit to the in laws in Preston.

Any ideas? :P
    Toyota previa/estima get an import with all the extras

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Why a 7 seater for 3 kids? An estate would give plenty of room for all the stuff if thay are young.

I've got 3 girls and currently have a megane saloon diesel.

Ben

Thank Post
    Yes I have a tape player in Our Galaxy, but it's never used as there is a six disk in the back.

Although we only have 2 kids, having the Galaxy is fantastic being 7 seats.

We can take the grandparents out, we can take their freinds on a trip, we can move sofa's, I collected 3 engines in one go ( and not small 1L ones... We can get all 4 bikes in and the 4 of us (just).. Very versatile , just a shame it's not a Diesel.

I would get shot of my Mondeo but it owes me near £1500 of repairs in 7 months. But I may be in a position to cut my losses soon. Then it will be back to a Sierra.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    I would get shot of my Mondeo but it owes me near £1500 of repairs in 7 months. But I may be in a position to cut my losses soon. Then it will be back to a Sierra.
    Did you do any research with the Mondeo, is that a normal maintance bill? I've been thinking about a Mondeo Estate (ST220) as my first "good" car but having read what you've put here not so sure now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj88 View Post
    Did you do any research with the Mondeo, is that a normal maintance bill? I've been thinking about a Mondeo Estate (ST220) as my first "good" car but having read what you've put here not so sure now.
    ST220 will be fine, It's mostly items related to the TDCI engine that have caused me problmes. the 24V V6 is a good engine.

My big costs were a Flywheel and clutch £650, 4 Shocks ( as the ride was appaling and still is! needs springs) £400, A tyre got damaged £70, Disks and pads had to be done as a pad broke up , I forget what that cost... It's also had 2 Injectors but fortunatly they were under warranty.

I only got the TDCI as I thoguht I would be doign big miles, but only done 6K in 8 months. Should have stuck with my previous car.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Why a 7 seater for 3 kids? An estate would give plenty of room for all the stuff if thay are young.

I've got 3 girls and currently have a megane saloon diesel.

Ben
    I'm not planning to change cars until absolutely necessary, so I meant when we have the next child, I will need a 7 seater. Right now the Toyota is sufficient

Thank Post
    My Colleague also has a Galaxy, He has no Kids....

he does have a 5 person band though and a load of gear

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast