+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Still have a rubbish car aged 29 in General; my car list 09-10 VW POLO 1.4 UK 10-11 Bedford CF240 1978 NZ 10-11 Nissan Cefiro 2.5 V6 NZ (Nissan ...
    Thank Post
    my car list

09-10 VW POLO 1.4 UK
    10-11 Bedford CF240 1978 NZ
    10-11 Nissan Cefiro 2.5 V6 NZ (Nissan QX in the UK) really miss all the extras and the power
    11-12 Nissan Almera 1.8

Thank Post
    Apart from a brief period in my early 20's when I bought a Hyundai Coupe, I've only ever had 'rubbish' cars. Also currently got a 98 fiesta (diesel) and even that is better than the majority I've had as it only had one owner before and is in great condition.

Still will be sold asap though as I live in London and no longer want or need a car.

Never, ever as long as I live will I buy a brand new car. Can't see the point

Thank Post
    Started out with a P Reg punto then had a few company cars, ended up driving my wife's Suzuki Wagon R(now that was embarassing to drive!)

now drive a 55 plate Focus 1.6 Ghia

Personally I'd much rather spend a good amount of money on a slightly used(3-4 year old) car, run it for 2-3 years and then part-ex it for something else while it still has some value

We're currenlty looking for a 2nd car, we made the mistake of visiting carcraft to get an idea of prices the other day - what a waste of time, we were given 5 mins to look around while the sales guy searched his computer for cars that matched our req's then took us out for a test drive and assumed we were wanting to buy it there and then despite saying nothing of the sort, buying it outright was frowned upon - their tagline should be "would you like a car with that loan sir?" I get the impression the cars are there purely as something to secure loans against!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I started driving nearly 3 years ago (I'm only 21) I started with a (V Reg) Peugeot 307? but unfortunately that ended up wrote off so brought a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI (57) and had that for a few months before buying another Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 (58) (Design) spent quite a bit of money on that car making it look rather nice! and then I sold that and Purchased a Volkswagen Golf Match 1.9 (Match) (57) and now I have an Audi A3 2.0 (170bhp) S-Line Black Edition in White (10 Plate)

I now have the car that I have wanted for quite some time now, due to the amount of miles I do I purchased this on a lease so that i could take it back and get a new car in 2 - 3 years which works better for me.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 29th June 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    im 24 and own a 05 2.0l Fiesta ST

my view is if i can afford a flash car while im living with parents then i will get one as i know in a few years ill have to get a sensible car when living on my own or with a family.

Thank Post
    My first car was my mother's old Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8. K reg (she bought a new car), after that I bought the Y-Reg Vectra. when I bought it it was the usual '1 careful owner' jobbie - some old bloke bought a 2.2l Vectra to nip up to Tesco in.... It only had 18,000 miles on the clock when I bought it. It has 70,000 odd now lol. I know many people will replace their car every few years because they get bored or whatever, but in our family, because cars are so expensive, we work them until they quite literally fall to pieces then worry about a new car when we NEED one not because we WANT one. That being said, my Steering column and clutch plates are both going which takes the repair costs over my 'worth it to me' threshold so now it is just a case of hoping we find something in the £2000 range on death row before one or t'other of the dealbreakers dies permanently.

<joke>

In other news, WTS Y-reg Vauxhall Vectra, 70,000 miles, Good bodywork condition, FSH, Heated seats and air con, electric windows throughout, Alloy Wheels, Sunroof, Petrol. £750 ONO.

</joke>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Never, ever as long as I live will I buy a brand new car. Can't see the point
    i did with my current car but only because the newer version ehdi is roadtax/congestion charge free (granted i refuse to drive in london anymore as they are all nutters but i see similar things becoming standard as the motorist pays more and more tax to use infrastructure their tax already paid for). Getting the car i wanted was a bit like finding a needle in a haystack everytime a yellow one came up it was petrol or missing some option or otherwise not what i wanted and the cost diff wasnt that much and its nice to own a car from new (though granted my previos car while i was 2nd owner only had 18 miles on the clock lol)

Thank Post
    I've been driving for 5 1/2 years (am 23) and have had:

- Fiat Punto P Reg. It was horrible to drive especially as one of my brothers put low profile tyres on it when he owned it. Drove it for a year and don't miss it one bit!
    - Mitsubishi Colt GLX 2000 plate. This car was very fun to drive but it was getting rather unreliable and expensive so I sold it. Apparently it has had nearly £2k worth of repairs since the sale and I only sold it for £700 lol. Mind you the MOT I put it through just before the sale didn't reveal any of these issues so I'm rather glad I ditched it.
    - Mitsubishi Lancer GS2 '10 plate. Bought from new and got 20-25% off the retail price as the garage was desperate for sales! Oddly it was about £1k cheaper than the used 2 year old Lancer I was going to buy.

So yeah I had a new car at 21 - fully financed by me (well by the loan) I might add

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Got the car I always wanted as a teenager. Good ones go for about £500, PERFECT ones go for about £800-1k. Perfect turbo ones go for about a million but nevermind those...

Cheap (ish) insurance, old tax system so cheaper to tax than my 1.6 Astra, scrapyard bits and Haynes manual repairs on some VERY simple engines. Only thing that kills them is the rust as they're really Cavaliers. Also bloody fast if you need and don't drink *that* much:

What is it, the picture's a broken link my end.

Never mind, got the pic now.
    Last edited by Earthling; 29th June 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm actively looking for a rubbish car, and grew up with bangers (my parents never had new cars).

My top 'most desired rubbish cars' are:
    Renault 5 GT Turbo
    Renault Clio Willams 3 (oh yeah... gotta love those gold alloys)
    Fiat Uno Turbo (rare as a pile of hens teeth in the light of a blue moon)
    Austin Mini Clubman GT 1275 (got to be a classic Clubman)
    Fiat 133 & 126 (much cooler than the 500)
    Renault Sport Clio (early noughties model)
    Renault 5 Gordini Turbo (if I win the lottery)
    Peugeot 205 GTi (ahh, memories of the local boy racers thrashing these up and down the road, back in the day)

Can't think of any others.

BTW, contrary to what my car choices might suggest, I am completely not a chav (and definitely wouldn't ever go for a Vauxhall Nova).
    Last edited by basicchannel; 29th June 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Nearly 60. Driving a 96 Mondeo with letters after it.

As I've said in a different thread, the bodywork's a bit shabby but there's nothing wrong with the power-train. Just like its owner.

Thank Post
    My Car list, Aged 24

W reg Fiat Bravo
    P reg Ford Fiesta
    S reg Vauxhall Astra estate
    04 Vauxhall Astra hatchback (older style, not the flat hatchback they are now)

The most reliable out of those probably had to be the Fiesta.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    I'm actively looking for a rubbish car, and grew up with bangers (my parents never had new cars).
    BTW, contrary to what my car choices might suggest, I am completely not a chav (and definitely wouldn't ever go for a Vauxhall Nova).
    Best don my burberry cap when I take my Nova for a spin then, must remember to tuck my trousers into my socks too...

Thank Post
    I've only just started buying the type of cars I want and not just those I can afford. Car history not too shabby but I still agree with some on here that a car is only deemed rubbish by some and classic by others as a matter of opinion.
    And yes the following are in order hence the buy what you can afford ethos.

1986 Fiat Panda 750
    1982 Austin Metro Vanden Plas
    1987 Fiat Panda
    1988 Rover 213 SE
    2001 Mazda MX-5 1.6
    2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.0

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post

Peugeot 205 GTi (ahh, memories of the local boy racers thrashing these up and down the road, back in the day)

A guy round the corner from me has one in his garage, and has been for about 10 years, I'm going to make him an offer on it I think, from what i can see it needs very little work and it was running fine when he drove it in there!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast