+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Still have a rubbish car aged 29 in General; I had nothing but second hand cars for years, but getting too old to spend weekends under them and fixing ...

Thank Post
    I had nothing but second hand cars for years, but getting too old to spend weekends under them and fixing them on a cold driveway (plus the more modern ones are getting more expensive and harder to maintain).
    So I bought a new one, nothing special but I'm coming to the end of the lease and think i'll go back to old cars Never really saw cars as a status symbol - just bought what I liked.

Thank Post
    I'm driving an R reg Xantia Estate which my parents basically threw at me.

I had given up cars after getting rid of my Chrysler Neon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Do you still have a rubbish car I have a 1998 Ford Fiesta and I am 29. It just started to annoy me again.
    I had a 98 Fiesta until a couple of months ago. Had it for about 10 years and I bloody loved that car. Never broke down or gave any hassle between services.
    Only replaced it as it was getting too expensive at service and MOT time to keep it in that state :*(
    I am 32 and driving that car never bothered me, to me a car is a tool to get me from A to B with as little hassle as possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    30 next week with a Euro 96 Special Edition Vauxhall Astra. I keep wishing it would fail its mot horribly, but it keeps on passing. Bought for 1500 8years ago, what a bargin!
    And it's ticked over 100k now, considering the fields it's been in and the kit you've carried about I'm surprised it's still going. But those old astra's are simple and keep on going!!!

Thank Post
    I'm 31 and wouldn't class my car as rubbish and haven't had a 'rubbish' car in my eyes for 10 years+ although i'd rather spend money on cars than gadgets, drink etc.

Currently have an Audi A4 Quattro Sport, going backwards before that was a Jap Imported Toyota Celica GT4, Honda Accord Type R, Jap Import Honda Integra Type R heavily modified and a heavily modified Focus about 10 years ago.

But in a lot of peoples eyes the cars above are 'rubbish' so it's all what you see the car for i guess.

Thank Post
    Was 30 in June and am proud to have never owned a car. Just been lucky to enough to always find jobs within walking/cycling distance. I reckon I save x000s a year.

7. Thanks to iom100 from:

mats (29th June 2012)

Thank Post
    my 400 astra failed the other week, succumbing to a collapsed cylinder (no suprise given the oil I was going through), quoted at 5/600 to repair,

My first car was a Ford Mondeo 2.0 I bought at 21, cost me 1200 a year to insure, wish I still had it too, was an awesome car and would have one again in blink of an eye.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Do you still have a rubbish car I have a 1998 Ford Fiesta and I am 29. It just started to annoy me again.
    I'm 28 this year and don't yet own a car. Be grateful you can afford one!

Thank Post
    Got the car I always wanted as a teenager. Good ones go for about 500, PERFECT ones go for about 800-1k. Perfect turbo ones go for about a million but nevermind those...

Cheap (ish) insurance, old tax system so cheaper to tax than my 1.6 Astra, scrapyard bits and Haynes manual repairs on some VERY simple engines. Only thing that kills them is the rust as they're really Cavaliers. Also bloody fast if you need and don't drink *that* much:

Thank Post
    There's no such thing as an "old" car, the word you're looking for is "classic" =D. (I would say that as an owner of a 23yr old VW T25 and a 26yr old MZ TS 125 Motorcycle)

Thank Post
    27 and never had what could be classed as a good car in anything but mine and a few others eyes. Best car was probably a 1.9 205 GTi. Currently got a 306 Dturbo as its cheap and with a few enhancements great fun to drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Got the car I always wanted as a teenager. Good ones go for about 500, PERFECT ones go for about 800-1k. Perfect turbo ones go for about a million but nevermind those...

Cheap (ish) insurance, old tax system so cheaper to tax than my 1.6 Astra, scrapyard bits and Haynes manual repairs on some VERY simple engines. Only thing that kills them is the rust as they're really Cavaliers. Also bloody fast if you need and don't drink *that* much:

Had one of those 10 years ago..... WHAT A CAR!!!!

I loved that car like no other (well, not quite as much as my Capri!!!) Full leather interior, electric everything, and 6 disc CD in boot. What a car!!

Now, I have an Avensis estate.... Function over form....especially with 2 step-kids, who are teenagers, and one 7 year old, who I have to drive 110 miles to pick up and drop off at his mothers'. 50+mph helps in that situation!

Thank Post
    depends how you define a decent car. I still think probably the best car ive ever owned was a 2001 zetec s fiesta it wasnt fast or anything special but it was fast enough and cornered like it was on rails. The only car ive owned since i liked anywhere near as much was my focus st170 till some jerk in an audi rear ended me and pushed me into a rover it was never the same.

Mainly ive owned fords one vag group car (never again it was poor and other people i know with them have now but trouble) and currently driving a citroen ds3 (least people can see me coming its bright yellow with a black roof)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    depends how you define a decent car. I still think probably the best car ive ever owned was a 2001 zetec s fiesta it wasnt fast or anything special but it was fast enough and cornered like it was on rails. The only car ive owned since i liked anywhere near as much was my focus st170 till some jerk in an audi rear ended me and pushed me into a rover it was never the same.

Mainly ive owned fords one vag group car (never again it was poor and other people i know with them have now but trouble) and currently driving a citroen ds3 (least people can see me coming its bright yellow with a black roof)
    What is that like to own and drive, @sted ?

My brother is very interested in getting one....and I like the look of them too....even though my latest car was only bought 3 months ago!!!

Thank Post
    27 and never had what could be classed as a good car in anything but mine and a few others eyes. Best car was probably a 1.9 205 GTi. Currently got an N reg 306 Dturbo as its cheap and with a few enhancements such as uprated suspension, bushes and a healty turn of the fueling screw great fun to drive. Nothing out there really shouts buy me so I'm happy as it is. Nearly done 200k and still drives and runs like a beaut and not a spot of rust.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast