Poll: Would you join?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Would you join an Association or Institute for IT Pros in Education? in General; Hi All, Following on from this thread, and talking to the FITS Foundation I was wondering how many of you ...
    Thank Post

Would you join an Association or Institute for IT Pros in Education?

Hi All,

Following on from this thread, and talking to the FITS Foundation I was wondering how many of you would actually join an Association or Institute that caters for the IT Professionals in Education? And what would you like it to be like? A professional association, a union, etc... What would you expect it to offer? eg CPD, different membership bands like the TMIET/MIET.

The FITS foundation needs to know what volume of technicians would join such a body if it were created. To get support for anything like this they need to have firm evidence that there is a need for it and that a lot of people are crying out for it. To get agreement for it to be an Institute you need Government approval and to get that they need to see that it fills a real need.

Please answer honestly, after all this is your sector, your field and your future (ok it's ours, but it sounds more dramatic ).

-Ken

Thank Post
    I'll place my vote first.

I choose "Yes, I will join (have membership in other associations as well)", as I'm already a member of the BCS.

I would like it if the Institute or association that the FITS Foundation can set up if possible have links with the ECUK and the BCS to offer the Chartered status (CITP) and the professional registration ICTTech, as well as the continuation of the FITS qualification (I would also like to see the qualifications boosted back up to level 4 and 5 from the current 3 and 4), as well as develop higher qualifications (maybe level 6 and 7).

Thank Post
    As I started the original thread I'd definitely be up for it!

I would be hoping to see collectively-bargained CPD opportunities and a revamp of the current pay/conditions framework, possibly as part of a broader nationwide school support review.

Michael Gove's current answer, to either continue with the NJC scheme or to devolve it to individual schools and have done with it, will not work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I would like to see a recognised body, of course, but it needs to have some sort of teeth otherwise it is just something else for schools to ignore. I would like to see something that schools access when they consider tech's CPD and performance management so that they can see what qualifications we *should* have and where to go next to get them

5. 4 Thanks to witch:

Andie (25th June 2012), BKGarry (24th June 2012), ButterflyMoon (25th June 2012), Davit2005 (26th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would like to see a recognised body, of course, but it needs to have some sort of teeth otherwise it is just something else for schools to ignore.
    I would like that too, something along the lines of the NUT but for techs, however that would also mean that association/institute would also be a union? We can pose the questions...

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would like to see something that schools access when they consider tech's CPD and performance management so that they can see what qualifications we *should* have and where to go next to get them
    Something like a road map, based on job roles and the types of technology used? As not all school's may use a vanilla MS network, some may use the likes of RM. Some may not even use a MS environment, eg may use a apple network or a mixed linux environment, etc...

I can see something like this being very useful

Thank Post
    Indeed - this would seem to link in with Becta's old Competencies Framework...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    There was such a body and it even gained royal ascension I believe until the govt scrapped it.

Ben

Thank Post

Thank Post
    So there was, though it wasn't specific to educational IT. It could've fought this cause, though, yes, so perhaps bringing it back in a different form is a way forward.

Thank Post
    No it wasn't IT specific but with a wider target so would have had a bit more clout.

Things like the NUT for non teachers exist however we will never be treated the same.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Indeed - this would seem to link in with Becta's old Competencies Framework...
    Hopefully, if it takes off, it will link in with Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA).

Thank Post
    Things like the NUT for non teachers exist however we will never be treated the same.
    That doesn't have to continue to be true. One of the main reasons it's been true is because we all just sit back and say that.

Thank Post
    So there was, though it wasn't specific to educational IT. It could've fought this cause, though, yes, so perhaps bringing it back in a different form is a way forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    No it wasn't IT specific but with a wider target so would have had a bit more clout.
    I very much doubt it, otherwise they would have done it already. After all it was started in 1970, so they can't say it was because they didn't have time
    Last edited by wagnerk; 24th June 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Thank Post
    To be honest I'm really not sure whether lobbying the BCS to work with the FITS Foundation to establish their association is the best way forward, or whether lobbying somebody like the LGE to move for a renewed SSSNB-type organisation for all school support staff in general (and then us coming in on the back of that) would work better.

Thank Post
    To be honest I'm really not sure whether lobbying the BCS to work with the FITS Foundation to establish their association is the best way forward, or whether lobbying somebody like the LGE to move for a renewed SSSNB-type organisation for all school support staff in general (and then us coming in on the back of that) would work better.
    I guess it depends, you know what they say: "swings and roundabouts"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast