+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Custom Android ROMs in General; Now, I understand Android is built on Linux, thus open-source, so to my understanding flashing a custom ROM isn't illegal ...

Thank Post

Custom Android ROMs

Now, I understand Android is built on Linux, thus open-source, so to my understanding flashing a custom ROM isn't illegal (albeit warranty-breaking under some circumstances).

I/the school have a Disgo 6000 tablet. It's not a bad size or weight, but it's a little sluggish and comes stock with a very limited Android 2.2, it won't even allow you to put the Android Market on. Stock browser won't allow for a proxy, so we can't get it to even browse the internet. It's basically a heavier, more expensive calculator right now. Most of the resources I've google'd for are either forums (thus banned by the filtering - I shall investigate more once I return home) or not very informative. Mostly the former.

I'm hoping -in an ideal world - to replace the OS with a more streamlined, energy-efficient version if possible, that allows me to chuck on the Android Market/Google Play (or at least comes with a proxy-allowing browser). I know the basic steps of Root > Backup > Wipe > Flash (which brings me to another question, I haven't been able to find anything about the legality of rooting..) but before I set off on my merry adventure into the world of custom Android operating systems, has anybody else played with flashing tablets or phones before? Are there any serious pitfalls/drawbacks I need to be aware of? Anybody reccomend any good OS's?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Generally if the phone/tablet is originally an Android device, its unlikely to be able to move to another OS (Windows OS, Symbian) etc etc, you would just go to another ROM, built by developer(s). Each developer puts their own take on a rom, they way it looks, runs, apps included etc.

I would recommened going over to XDA, great guys and very knowledgable! and most of the dev's hang out there.

Mart

Edit - I did this with an Archos 101, my old HTC Hero (went from 1.5 cupcake to 2.3.3) and now with my HTC Sensation, always works a treat
    Last edited by mmoseley; 21st June 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I flash my phone all the time. Never came across any problems so far. I use an old LG Optimus to test some of the custom roms on. Currently have it running vanilla Android 4 (ICS) while I try and get the LG bits out of the stock rom to make the various things work (camera, wireless etc)

Never really thought about the legalities of rooting the phone it was just a natural step when flashing the phone and necessary to get decent recovery software on it.

I'm now looking at trying to get ICS on to my Galaxy Y.

I don't think you will be able to do too much with your disco though. It got some pretty unfavourable reviews as I was searching for upgrade info. Doesn't look like it will go beyond the 2.2 version you have on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    First things first - adding Google Apps *may* be illegal if they're not already on the device. I'm not 100% on this, but the Google Apps (such as Google Play [was: Market], Maps, Search etc.) are not open source, hence their absence from certain devices; you'll need to research that. They are available as a flashable zip however should you wish to go ahead, just search for "Google Apps".

Second - your choice of ROM is going to be limited by the device you have. CyanogenMOD is one of the biggest and is a good starting point. The instructions for flashing at their site will work for the majority of other ROMs too.

Third - it's not illegal to flash a ROM, but you will very likely be voiding your warranty by doing so. Again, you'd have to research this (ask Disgo)

Thank Post
    @mmoseley Sorry, when I refer to other OS's I mean other Android OS's. Probably just a bad choice of wording on my part.

@cromertech Yup, I've found a fair pile of negative reviews myself. I'm assuming that's why we only have the one of them, but still it's worth a try and making it work.

@LosOjos Aye, I reckon it will void the warranty. But it's nothing more than a calculator now, so if I brick it, we're not losing anything. The NM is okay with the idea of a custom ROM, and since he's also in charge of cash and appropriations, that's enough of a green light for me.

edit: bad tagging
    Last edited by Garacesh; 21st June 2012 at 02:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    First things first - adding Google Apps *may* be illegal if they're not already on the device. I'm not 100% on this
    I *seem* to recall reading this somewhere as well...

Thank Post
    Well, over the weekend I flashed my Desirewith CyangogenMod 7, thoroughly impressed with it so far. Might take a nosey at some other ROMs floating around, but for now, back to this Disgo tablet >.>

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread