+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Communications with ICT staff in school - how do you do it? in General; Licensed Two Way Radios work for me and my techy to talk to each other, we don't let others grab ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Licensed Two Way Radios work for me and my techy to talk to each other, we don't let others grab us on them yet as we want everything through the helpdesk which emails me and I have coverage of either mobile data or the wireless so can get them no issues. I am however looking at Lync for expanding this as Lync could be a good tool for teaching and learning as well for example working together collaboratively so its good dual justification IMHO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Licensed Two Way Radios work for me and my techy to talk to each other, we don't let others grab us on them yet as we want everything through the helpdesk which emails me and I have coverage of either mobile data or the wireless so can get them no issues. I am however looking at Lync for expanding this as Lync could be a good tool for teaching and learning as well for example working together collaboratively so its good dual justification IMHO.
    Lync is worth its weight in gold IMO - just the ability to call people from a software client without having to hunt for extension numbers has been a key selling point for most of our staff.

Don't think the site team appreciate me setting it up so it forwards calls right onto their mobiles though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Phones mobile on desk and mobile, helpdesk on our sharepoint LG, emails, notes, in person both at our office and in the corridor and on rare occasions still letters in pigeon holes then later complains why we didn't deal with the problem quickly!

Thank Post
    Currenly use Email/Helpdesk and I have a DECT phone instead of a desk phone which works site wide - currenlty on an Aastra system

Thank Post
    Primarily, office phones and we do have our own extensions but only to provide 2 physically separate lines - only the office know the individual extension and for everyone else there is a single number which rings both and is the most commonly used method of communication.

Email is a close second, for those either without a phone in their room or where they have so much to say they'd rather write it down!

A helpdesk is something we need to do really.. going to be a massive culture change for everyone as we still, to an extent, get stopped on corridors!

..and sometimes the brave meet us face to face in the office(!)

Thank Post
    A quad pack of cobra walkie talkies 80 quid from Maplins. Helpdesk ticket system, phones and mobiles..

Thank Post
    There's a danger in using too much technology and having too many methods available.

I think the best solution is the online helpdesk, desk telephone and personal call. Anyone who does the latter two are forced to stand and wait while you put it into the helpdesk system!

Thank Post
    We were trialining sip clients on our mobiles untill we found out that there is some sort of bug that is causing SLOW pings (up to 2s in some cases) between the Meru Wifi and handheld devices. Meru have had it on their helpdesk for a month and been on the controler a number of times to look at it.

The Sip Clients were connecting to our Cisco Phone system and if they were out of range would forward to the mobile number.

We use ASUS transformers to access helpdesk and e-mail...

And the Phone.

And if a member of staff asks us something "PUT IT ON THE HELP DESK - AND WE WILL LOOK AT IT"

Rob

Thank Post
    we keep in touch via job logging on spiceworks, E-mail, school voip system or just face to face in the office.

Thank Post
    Shouting very loudly

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Shouting very loudly
    EMAILING IN CAPITALS!

Thank Post
    I talk to myself and try to ignore the voices in my head!

Thank Post
    A section on the white boards in the staff room, finding me in the office, email, or face to face.

just got a mobile to use in school so will see how that goes...

Thank Post
    At the secondary school we have an sql based helpdesk which we made in house along with telephone and face to face. I don't get tense like I imagine many would when people come in to the office if things could quite easily go on the helpdesk. I think it's important to build up a good relationship with staff and get to know them a bit which I find much easier in person. It's that same reason that I will more often that not walk over to help someone rather than fix things remotely.

At the primary which I only work at one day a week, I have a book in the staff room as it suddenly dawned on me one lunch time thats where they seemed to talk about IT problems they had, with other staff or me the most. Now they can redirect their problems to the book, see which problems other people have already reported and also see how I'm getting on with it (I write notes next to the reported problem and tick when completed). Works well as a computer helpdesk wouldn't be suitable here.
    Last edited by samba_man; 22nd June 2012 at 10:39 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12