+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Surface Tablet in General; ...

Thank Post
    Yeah it will almost certainly flop if it is priced above an iPad
    I would pay more for it. It not only does more but is not a locked in product. I would think they will be pricing along the lines of ultrabooks which start at £800 and go up to £1800.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just typing this on an Acer Iconia w500 tab with W8 and it is lightning compared to windows 7 on the same hardware. The software really does make the difference. It installed off dvd in about 20 minutes and is liquid in comparison. I have not even put in the optimised drivers yet. Metro rules for tablets. I do miss the alt key for alt s posting though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I would pay more for it. It not only does more but is not a locked in product. I would think they will be pricing along the lines of ultrabooks which start at £800 and go up to £1800.
    I'm guessing when folks say it should be cheaper than an ipad they mean the Windows RT ARM based version of the tablet? Based on the specs (lower resolution screen,etc) of the device it should definitely be less expensive than a iPad (<£400). IMO it NEEDS to be if they want it to have any chance whatsoever of grabbing a share of the market.

I can see the appeal for techies like ourselves but I doubt whether the general public will be willing to pay ultrabook prices (>£800) for an x86 based tablet?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 26th June 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The market Microsoft is really competing for (and likely to win over) with the full-fat Surface is corporate. They're not going to care about the couple of hundred quid difference when buying executive toys, and exasperated IT departments are going to be delighted to have a fully manageable device as an option. It will also make integration with LOB applications much easier, and will be an out and out replacement for laptops for most users.

RT is for consumers and needs to be cheaper than the iPad to compete at all, as Apple have the mindshare - and even then I think it will about as successful as Windows Phone 7 has been. The x86 Surface, though, will make billions. As I said earlier, expect a Surface tablet powered by the proper-new Atom in a couple of years to provide a cost effective manageable tablet on Windows 8 when MS realise that's where they're winning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always think it looks bad when I bump a thread and I was the last person to post in it before. I should do more work.

Anyway: Microsoft Surface chassis suffers low yields - Laptop - News - HEXUS.net
    Looks like their fancy VaporMg chassis is a bit awkward to produce to the exacting standards MS are asking for. According to a quote in the article, the Surface is "designed... so tightly and so cleanly that even if you stuck a piece of tape in the middle of the device – it would bulge."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Looks like their fancy VaporMg chassis is a bit awkward to produce to the exacting standards MS are asking for.
    A shame, because PVD coatings look really good. I reckon a limited edition Titanium Nitride PVD coated Surface tablet would sell really well, particularly to the Dr Dre headphone wearing crowd.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456