+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Surface Tablet in General; Originally Posted by jamesfed One thing others have pointed out is Microsoft won't need to pay its self any licencing ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    One thing others have pointed out is Microsoft won't need to pay its self any licencing fees - yes Android is 'free' however there are still some fees to be paied.
    MS just illegally use others work without paying royalties, then wonder why their xboxes are banned from sale.
    The android manufacturers are only paying MS under threat of being sued. The only people who stood up to them were Barnes and Noble, who then got a mysterious $600M deal to keep them quiet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Such as? It's open source, so I don't know which fees you could possibly mean...
    Microsoft is paid around $35 (I believe) per Android device sold by Google, due to patent licensing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    As many have mentioned, the key point here is the price, if they released the Pro around the £450 mark today, they have a chance of it taking off, if they price it near the top £500's they have missed the boat.
    They're saying it's equivalent to an ultrabook; expect it to be around £800.

To be fair, on paper at least, it is in a class above the iPad and aiming at a different market.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Microsoft is paid around $35 (I believe) per Android device sold by Google, due to patent licensing.
    They don't actually license any patents to them. they just promise not to sue them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    They don't actually license any patents to them. they just promise not to sue them.
    Proof? That's not generally how it works...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Proof? That's not generally how it works...
    It's not generally how it works because it's bullying tactics.

The details are all on groklaw; see MS - Barnes and Noble

Groklaw - Archives

Thank Post
    It's not generally how it works because it's bullying tactics.
    Bully tatics or the way the world of IP works

At least Microsoft doesn’t go around suing everyone like Apple has been.

Thank Post
    from the traditional desktop users who are not happy with the start menu removal to name just one of a few gripes.
    Thought they are adding it back in the final release.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Thought they are adding it back in the final release.
    Very much the opposite - they're removing any code that would even let you hack one back in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pro edition will probably be in the £800-£900 range with RT being £400-£600 I would think to remain competitive.
    One thing to consider is unlike the iOS based devices there will be others out there selling for more/less of each edition, the surface does look brilliant but it will be interesting to see what the cheapest RT and Pro tablets cost as I think the surface could be the best of the bunch for design/features but probably not the cheapest.

MS just illegally use others work without paying royalties, then wonder why their xboxes are banned from sale.
    Ironically its google/motorola doing the FRAND abuse in that case btw and we all know what apple can be like. Cyber you must have some job ensuring you dont buy google/apple/rim/ms stuff as all have had things in the past which are better left in the past. Enjoy sitting in the dark with no tech trying to avoid all these companies that are evil as none are clean.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Cyber you must have some job ensuring you dont buy google/apple/rim/ms stuff as all have had things in the past which are better left in the past. Enjoy sitting in the dark with no tech trying to avoid all these companies that are evil as none are clean.
    Of those companies I do have to pay Microsoft and I do get a very dirty feeling when I sign of an order requisition.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of those companies I do have to pay Microsoft and I do get a very dirty feeling when I sign of an order requisition.
    ROFL, I have images of a shaking hand while trying to sign....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    ROFL, I have images of a shaking hand while trying to sign....
    Its pretty much like that. I usually go home, bathe then drink beer to forget about it.
    At least when MS release some of their more ubiquitous technologies under Non-Discriminatory licensing I'll be able to do it all with opensource .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is this animosity based on ethics or elements of the technologies? Interested that all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Is this animosity based on ethics or elements of the technologies? Interested that all
    Since you asked...
    I suppose ethics. I quite like new technologies, and most of the tech I'm interested in has its roots in opensource way before MS get their hands on it.

In my surreal head it goes like this: MS just annoy me, they have never been a particularly ethical company. Despite giving discount to schools they still charge WAY too much considering we are helping them maintain their monosystem for future generations. If I can run something on linux for free I will. I don't like that any company restrict the use of its products, esp making tablets throwaway devices by preventing you from installing X on them. Capita and RM are probably the most evil companies because they specifically target the educational sector to fleece vast amounts of cash away from schools. Whats worse is their MS partnerships that artificially increase schools costs (RM less so than Capita). Exam boards are pretty high up on the list for much the same reason. Apple are pretty evil, but they are targeting the consumer market rather than fleecing the educational/government sector per se. Companies like smoothwall that target educational but give sizable proportions of their research to projects like dansguardian get a thumbs up, plus I pay for support. It's extra with MS.
    Google don't charge us for support or for their products, and they allegedly don't use our data (infact they actively fight for users rights in the courts) they give a lot back to OSS projects and that makes them good in my eyes. Redhat only charge us for support and give everything back to the 'community'.

The thing is - schools don't actually need to pay for software to get the kids qualifications enough of an understanding of technology. I know this has been debated to death its just my weird idea of ethics. I'm striving for an ideal world where all software is free but people make money from it too.

So generally my 'evil' list works like this:

Capita>RM>Pearson>Microsoft>Apple>other hardware vendors> Google > Redhat

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast