+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Surface Tablet in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 looking at the spec ... it has at least one plus point over an iPad... USB ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    looking at the spec... it has at least one plus point over an iPad... USB

And I bet you will be able to manage it through standard network tools as well... WSUS in charge of updates, etc.
    You'll definitely be able to manage the Intel based one using standard tools. Probably not the ARM one though as WinRT can't be joined to a domain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also worth reading: AnandTech - Microsoft Surface - We Go Hands On [UPDATE: Detailed Impressions]

Pictures of the type cover as well as the touch cover (i.e. a real keyboard integrated into the cover... just marvellous) and impressions of it in the hand. However, it does mention a couple of killer details: the battery is only 31.5Wh compared to the iPad's 42.5Wh, and even worse, the screen is only 1366x768, which will look like garbage when compared to the Retina display. I suspect the iPad 3's screen caught Microsoft off-guard and they were too far down the road to respond with this generation, but maybe next time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I suspect the iPad 3's screen caught Microsoft off-guard and they were too far down the road to respond with this generation, but maybe next time.
    Or they're "doing an Apple" of release it with poor specs now so that the new one in a year or so seems really impressive.

Thank Post
    Also worth reading: AnandTech - Microsoft Surface - We Go Hands On [UPDATE: Detailed Impressions]

Pictures of the type cover as well as the touch cover (i.e. a real keyboard integrated into the cover... just marvellous) and impressions of it in the hand. However, it does mention a couple of killer details: the battery is only 31.5Wh compared to the iPad's 42.5Wh, and even worse, the screen is only 1366x768, which will look like garbage when compared to the Retina display. I suspect the iPad 3's screen caught Microsoft off-guard and they were too far down the road to respond with this generation, but maybe next time.
    Again the "hands-on" is more of an "eyes-on" and doesn't really speak much about the actual performance of the device

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    the screen is only 1366x768, which will look like garbage when compared to the Retina display. I suspect the iPad 3's screen caught Microsoft off-guard and they were too far down the road to respond with this generation, but maybe next time.
    Or it's for compatibility - if it's going to be running the same apps as on a standard desktop (where I believe 1024x768 is still the most common resolution?) then having a huge resolution will mean apps will either look stupidly small or stupidly spaced out as they've not been designed for such huge resolutions, or they'll be scaled to a point they actually look worse than on a lower resolution. Don't forget that the iPad's whole OS has been designed around the massive resolution, right down to the huge icon sizes and it can do that because it's a stand alone platform.

EDIT: I'm talking carp
    Last edited by LosOjos; 19th June 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are just trialing this: ICONIA TAB W Series | Product Series at the moment, low power consumption dual core chip which we'll chuck W8 on when it comes out.

I would have put W8 CTP on it but it literally walked away on a plaform of hype and excitement away from me with the teachers (W7 Pro). I should have got two on demo, they are stupidly cheap rivaling and bettering an ipad in some cases. Sure it is the older style CPU but it will still fly with W8 and be fully domain managable. With a propper GPU, two USB ports, HDMI, SD/Memorycard etc. and 3G along with a keyboard and Ethernet dock means that it can be used as both a tablet and a laptop depending on what level of interaction the school needs them at the time. They should be rather epic for versatility despite their brand if the project goes ahead.

It is good that MS if finally using the successful surface branding to show metro's liniage and push the whole thing foward as for touch interfaces it really is good.

Thank Post
    Certainly impressive. The USB port is a nice addition, and I do like the slim case rather than having a sleeve or bulky leather add-on case like iPads and Kindles have (the official Samsung bookcase cover for Galaxy Tab is the same, and by far the nicest case I've had for it). That keyboard is extremely slick, too.

The big plus point here is the full integration and central manageability. Tablets have a definite place in education (both as staff devices and pupil devices), and this nicely settles the "how the !"$%^& do we make this talk to our network?" issue. That is a feature of it having an Ivy Bridge not ARM processor, right?

I would still be inclined to wait until nearer Win8 release date and see what other manufacturers do, however the bar has definitely been set.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Something to look forward to playing with at BETT next year

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    TBF the Samsung S3 I have in my hard is about as powerful as that first Arm model (ok maybe not quite but its bloooming quick!)

Thank Post
    I cannot help think that Microsoft might have missed the boat. My best friend hires computer contractors, and he says tablet deployment in enterprise is through the roof at the moment, and its all iPads, at home it seems to be iPads is king, and i cannot see enterprise saying lets just bin all our iPads now Microsoft have a tablet. Add to the fact Windows 8 may get a tarnished name like Vista from the traditional desktop users who are not happy with the start menu removal to name just one of a few gripes.

It could be a about as sucessful and Windows Mobile 7.5.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Microsoft unveils new tablet for uncool people

Thank Post
    As many have mentioned, the key point here is the price, if they released the Pro around the 450 mark today, they have a chance of it taking off, if they price it near the top 500's they have missed the boat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    As many have mentioned, the key point here is the price, if they released the Pro around the 450 mark today, they have a chance of it taking off, if they price it near the top 500's they have missed the boat.
    Not sure how achievable that is though. iPads, Galaxy Tabs and Iconia are all 400-500, and don't have a keyboard or case; the Transformer is around 500.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Not sure how achievable that is though. iPads, Galaxy Tabs and Iconia are all 400-500, and don't have a keyboard or case; the Transformer is around 500.
    One thing others have pointed out is Microsoft won't need to pay its self any licencing fees - yes Android is 'free' however there are still some fees to be paied.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    They most likely only cost a fraction of that to produce but are sold in that bracket because they can be - supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    One thing others have pointed out is Microsoft won't need to pay its self any licencing fees - yes Android is 'free' however there are still some fees to be paied.
    Such as? It's open source, so I don't know which fees you could possibly mean...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast