+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, PGCE in General; Morning all, Just a bit of a wondering really. Has anyone on here made the move from Technical Support to ...

Thank Post

PGCE

Morning all,

Just a bit of a wondering really.

Has anyone on here made the move from Technical Support to Teacher?

Thank Post
    I went the other way. Teacher to technical support (after retirement).

Thank Post
    I am hopefully taking the plunge in September. I have a place but waiting for the classification of my degree. Need a 2:1 realistically with all the financial bursaries that it comes with.

Thank Post
    I'm potentially looking at doing the same....unfortunatley I've only got a 2:2 so no bursaries for me :-(

Found a course I like the look of though, just weighing up whether to take the plunge.....ned to get the application in soon though.

Thank Post
    why on earth would you! after seeing the politics, the masses of reports, parents evenings, and childish behaviour? i'll take my smaller pay slip and enjoy my evenings

Thank Post
    I did college technician to college lecturer a good few years back. Money was poor back then but it was a great experience.

Doing a PTLLS course from Sept with a view to doing some part-time college lecturing again.

Thank Post
    I went from tech support in engineering via 3yr BA Hons teaching degree to quailfy as a teacher, thought nah! got a job as a school IT technician, then after a year ended up teaching part time (just ICT in primary), now I teach 3.5 days a week with tech support built in to the job and thats 8 years now after qualifying in the first place.

Thank Post
    I think that if you can demonstrate a reasonable amount of 'Industry experience' then you may be able to qualify for some funding.

Thank Post
    I went the other way. I did a PGCE then ended up in IT. Although my path was a little convoluted. I have a Science degree (Geology) so I couldn't register to do a PGCE in IT so I did a PGCE in secondary science, but my REAL passion was to teach IT and in my second placement I found exactly the department I wanted to join. Long story short, they were campagining for an NQT and told me that nothing would happen until the next academic year, so I should go out and get a first line role and get some industry quals under my belt (CompTIA, MCP, that sort of thing) then when they get the funding for an NQT, apply on the strength of the PGCE and industry experience. So I went out, got a first line job, then the network manager at the school in question left and the whole scheme went down the pan so I got 'stuck' in first line support for a while (TBH I hated teaching science so had no inclination to return to it), when I tired of first line support and hated being a phone monkey I left for a better job, still in the technical field and I can't say I've looked back with any wistfulness at all.

Teaching is brutal. Experienced teachers make it look easy but the reality is like an iceberg - the bit you see is a tiny fraction, the worst part is behind the scenes.

Thank Post
    I have been thinking about this recently too, although with no degree under my belt i need to do that first. Will be looking at doing some sort of part time degree when i have finished building images and have a bit of spare time available.

Thank Post
    If you wanted to teach in ICT when you did your PGCE you should have been able to do a SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement) course which would give you the basic knowledge to teach ICT. I am having to do a 2 week SKE before September to check that I have the relevant background knowledge before I start. I think teaching is a good career depending on the type of person you are, if your an easy going person who is confident then you should be fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Teaching is brutal. Experienced teachers make it look easy but the reality is like an iceberg - the bit you see is a tiny fraction, the worst part is behind the scenes.
    I think you're spot on, however as my wife is a recently qualified teacher I think I've seen enough of the evening work and the masses of admin she has to do, plus parents evenings etc and it hasn't put me off....

Some more research required yet though I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvLPhenom View Post
    I have been thinking about this recently too, although with no degree under my belt i need to do that first. Will be looking at doing some sort of part time degree when i have finished building images and have a bit of spare time available.
    Before I started my current job I had a HND in computing. For the past 18 months I have been completing a 'top up' course part time to turn that into a degree in Applied Computing. A lot of work and effort, particularly when we had a new born baby in January... but it will be totally worth it when I get to spend my summers with my family.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Morning all,

Just a bit of a wondering really.

Has anyone on here made the move from Technical Support to Teacher?
    I know a gentleman who has just completed his training. He started as a techie, then started on the job training whilst staying as a techie then because a teacher with 50% techie and has now got ICT Coordinator role with 100% teaching.

It can be done and if you have a supportive school you'll be kay.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I think you're spot on, however as my wife is a recently qualified teacher I think I've seen enough of the evening work and the masses of admin she has to do, plus parents evenings etc and it hasn't put me off....

Some more research required yet though I think.
    I am in your position. My girlfriend is a teacher and I have seen the other side as well so I am going into this with my eyes completely open.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast