+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, IT Managers Guide to WEEE in General; Very good article on the new e-waste directive in this weeks IT Week mag. Page 19. I can't find the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

IT Managers Guide to WEEE

Very good article on the new e-waste directive in this weeks IT Week mag. Page 19.
    I can't find the article on the IT Week website but if anyone wants a copy I'll scan it in.....

Thank Post

Re: IT Managers Guide to WEEE

Yeah I read that, the bit that puzzled me was the section where it says "Your supplier is legally obliged under the WEEE directive to provide a takeback service for free" for the disposal of equipment.

If I read this right, that would mean that the company we buy our PCs from, be it Dabs.com or Dell or whatever has to legally provide a disposal facility for free??

Thank Post

The other puzzler I have is the section where it proclaims that the new supplier is obliged to freely takeback old products for disposal, whether they originally supplied those products or not.

So..does that mean that if I buy in 30 PCs to upgrade a suite originally purchased in 2003, that the new supplier has to dispose of the old 30 PCs, whether they were bought from them or not??

Thank Post

Im pretty sure its only equipment supplied by them that they are able to take away. We did ask Dell and they said they couldnt take our old stuff away, not without charge anyway

Thank Post

Its equipment from anyone..I have spent the last hour checking the official documentation from the government and the EU. They can however charge to take the goods away, but they cannot charge for disposing the goods, or treatment or recycling, they can only charge for the "logistics" of taking the goods away. Which I assume means the courier cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some companies are doing the offer of "we will take your old kit away when we deliver your new kit ... on the understanding that you agree to dispose of the new kits yourself at a later date".

It seems a reasonable swap to us.

Thank Post

Ig you buy 30 new PC's in order to replace 30 old out of date PC's that you no longer require your supplier is legally obliged to collect the 30 old out of date PC's and dispose of them without any disposal charge (though as said above, they can charge for the actual courier cost).

So if i buy 30 machines from dell to replace 30 old RM machines - dell HAVE to take the RM PC's away, by law. From the end of july (i think) onwards.

Great isnt it!

Andrew

Thank Post

What does this mean for our customers?
    On 1st July 2007 the WEEE Legislation will be implemented in the UK. From this date, RM will be offering the following collection and disposal services:

1. New WEEE - This service is for the collection and disposal of any RM produced EEE purchased on or after 13th August 2005
    2. Historic WEEE - This service is the collection and disposal of any EEE purchased before 13th August 2005, which is being replaced by new EEE produced by RM. The historic WEEE must perform the same function as the new EEE that is being purchased. You will need your RM number for the new EEE to confirm that you qualify for this service.
    3. Chargeable - This service is for the collection and disposal of any EEE you have, which RM are not obligated to dispose of. You will need your RM number for the purchased collection and disposal service to confirm that you qualify for this service.
    From RM @ http://www.rm.com/weee

Seems like all suppliers are obliged to dispose of your old kit assuming it was brought after 2005 and from the same supplier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I scanned in the article:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IT Managers Guide to WEEE-itweek.jpg  

Thank Post

The "Take Back" service is only on a Like for Like basis. The interpretation is ambiguous.
    A working old CRT maybe accepted in exchange for a new CRT but not an LCD.
    A load of old "Dead" PC's may not be accepted in exchange for new ones.

Resellers need only offer this service to "End Users" Businesses are NOT classified as End Users. Businesses remain responsible for disposal of old equipment under WEEE.

You may dump your old Fridge/Freezer at the doors of Comet or Currys when picking up your new one but RM and others are only obliged to offer a disposal service and are entitled to make a charge for this where applicable to recycle your old PC's.

As usual this legislation, like most delivered from this government, is incomplete, contradictory and lacks definition.
    The one thing that is certain, Mr Brown will be imposing heavy fines and penalties on unsuspecting businesses that get caught out and ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Pay up and shut up Mr Taxpayer! Thats the Law! All in the name of the homeless Polar bear....

Thank Post

In case you haven't found this yet here is the "Official" claptrap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IT Managers Guide to WEEE-dti_weee_guidance_27-2-07.pdf  

Thank Post

Thanks M25Man and thanks mattx for the heads up in ITWeek.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread