+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New mountain bike in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

New mountain bike

In a pursuit of improved fitness and rekindling an old hobby from my teens I'm looking at purchasing a new mountain bike. I've been going on 3/4 bike rides per week the last month around 12-15miles each down local canal paths and other rural routes such as near by walk routes along south Stafford railway. Of the weekend I'm looking at visiting Cannock chase and its trial routes. I don't know alot about bikes but I currently use my 12ish year old Trek 4500 a pretty good bike which has taken some abuse and at times neglect over they ears I've had it but I'm thinking I may benefit from a new bike rather then my current beaten Trek which could do with some new cogs saddle and suspension really.

Bike radar seems good for review and an idea of what to buy, the best sub £500 mountain bike seems to be shockingly Halfords sold Carrera Vulcan but looking on the bay...as you do I've been looking at lovely Giant and Cannondale bikes in the £700-800 region reselling only sometimes 12months old for around the Carrera vulcans price range which Is really tempting but possibly overkill?

Anyone on here able to shed more light on the matter, maybe someone who's recently looked or purchased a bike or someone who enjoys their bikes? Much rather opinions on here then a sales man in my local bike store!

Thank Post
    Slightly off the question but sort of on topic : check if your employer participates in the cycle to work scheme. You could save a bit of cash.

Thank Post
    I've been sort of looking at doing the same over the past few months. I keep coming back to the Voodoo range from Halfords. I have been advised by many not to get a 2nd hand bike due to the cost of repairs to major parts which you wont really know until you've bought.

I've been around in circles over what to buy, may get a £100 one from Halfords and just know i've bought a bad one.

Thank Post
    Try finding a local forum not only can you meet people to ride with im sure they will give you great advice and maybe some bikes for sale there.

I got back into riding a year ago and joined a forum local to me and they have been great.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I've been around in circles over what to buy, may get a £100 one from Halfords and just know i've bought a bad one.

tbh doing some research voodoo and carrera both get much praise in the bike community for sub £1k bikes not just for value but equipment too! I suppose once you have a good base its worth just building on that upgrading forks tyres brakes etc as you see fit depending on your needs. Carrera are made in the same factory and same designers as specialized bikes I've read!

Thank Post
    Just been helping a colleague here with finding a bike. Specialized are very good quality. If you look around July-August time you might find some good deals as it’s the end of this year’s range for most manufacturers.

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles

This is a very good bike for the money.

Note: keep away from cable disk brakes, as they are no use to man or beast. Hydraulic disk's or V breaks.

Happy shopping

Thank Post
    Naaaa, you wana get your self a "Real" bicycle. Ribble Bikebuilder | Frames | Wheels | Groupsets

Can highly recommend the Ribble Sportive 7046 Curved, got it for this season and its performing very well.

Thank Post
    I'd go for a good secondhand cannondale over a new carrera any day, I'd also have a look at felt and whyte bikes too, as they are not such well known brands you can often get serious discounts for secondhand, or even last years model new. I have a felt QX hybrid which retails for around £900, but off the bay I got one for £470 brand new.

Bike parts are generally pretty cheap unless you want sexy bits with carbon and stuff...

Oh, and don't touch cable discs. World of hurt. Hydraulic discs, hydraulic rims or well set up v brakes.
    Last edited by Oaktech; 13th June 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    At the risk of being boring, you need to go and try them. In a previous life, I worked in Evans (when they only had 3 branches in London, before they were a national chain). The Treks were always great bikes, but were never any good for me, as they don't fit me. The differences in quality between the decent brands isn't massive, but if you get one that doesn't suit your dimensions, you'll never be happy on it. As Awicher said, Ribble have always had a great reputation -for their own bikes and as an independent. I might be being a snob and I'm sure that there are some good staff in Halfords, but I would compare them to going to Currys for electronics. If you're 100% sure of what you want and they have a good price, give it a go. Equally, you'll always do better with an independent if something does go wrong.

10. Thanks to jmak from:

laserblazer (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Anyone on here able to shed more light on the matter, maybe someone who's recently looked or purchased a bike or someone who enjoys their bikes? Much rather opinions on here then a sales man in my local bike store!
    You're right to avoid the siren call of full sus bikes - they're no good unless you spend £1000+. Most bike bits are easy to upgrade with the exception of the fork - £££ and needs the right tools to upgrade. The Vulcan looks like a lot of bike for £350 though.

Re ebay bikes - I did it and bought a 'ridden twice, decided mountain biking isn't for me' bike and it's been great. It was a minter 3 years ago and certainly isn't now. I'd be very cautious about used bikes, as another poster said - there are plenty of bits that can wear out which you don't want to be paying to replace.

If you know your stuff, local ads might be the way forward because you can inspect before handing over the dosh.

Again, cycle to work can save about 30% if you have a nice employer and aren't planning to change jobs for 18 months. Can include kit too so panniers, repair kit, waterproofs, lock, lights, lid can all be added.

Hth

Thank Post
    I go mountain biking quite a lot with my partner and if you want somewhere to go to really test out your bike then Llandegla near Wrexham is awesome. Cafe at the end of whatever trail you choose is even better. This will be my next bike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ebay bikes I've only been looking in a 20mile radius so I can inspect before I buy and take someone who knows abit more then me, generally looking at 2010> models aswell so they tend to be less 'used and abused' bang for buck the hellfrauds bikes seem alright but I'd rather spend more and get something better but also those new are getting out of my price range so pre-owned bike does seem to be the best option!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well did the Follow the dog chase trail tonight what a laugh that was! Tired now tho, bike held up ok but a new one wouldn't go amiss. Just missed a nice Giant Xt3.5 as it was too far away

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know if this is a decent buy for £350ish? Full decent suspension setup and decent frame but thinking lack of discs must mean this is a fairly old near 10year old model? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2210453412...#ht_500wt_1361

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Anyone know if this is a decent buy for £350ish? Full decent suspension setup and decent frame but thinking lack of discs must mean this is a fairly old near 10year old model? TREK FUEL DOWNHILL MOUNTAIN BIKE (18" MEDIUM FRAME) | eBay
    They've done a great job cleaning it but the v brakes and what looks like a 7 speed cassette suggest it's pretty old. I'm no expert on forks but they look pretty elderly too. For £350 I'd be looking at a 2-3 year old hardtail, it's not enough cash for a fully bouncy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast