+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, New mountain bike in General; I would suggest looking a year old/2 year old models that are available new from excess stock in shops. Pauls ...

Thank Post
    I would suggest looking a year old/2 year old models that are available new from excess stock in shops. Pauls Cycles, Rutland cycles, Cyclestore.co.uk, etc (loads more, these a re just the ones I know of). Decathlon also get good write ups for their bikes. I'd agree with Mats.
    Last edited by chilbs; 15th June 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Carrera Banshee X looks like a good option if I can drop on one for my price range, one on ebay in travel distance at the moment having seen one go for under £500 last week, also a none 'x' model Banshee fairly local on the bay

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Slightly off the question but sort of on topic : check if your employer participates in the cycle to work scheme. You could save a bit of cash.
    I'd love to make use of this scheme but work is a 75mile commute each day!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 15th June 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    They've done a great job cleaning it but the v brakes and what looks like a 7 speed cassette suggest it's pretty old. I'm no expert on forks but they look pretty elderly too. For £350 I'd be looking at a 2-3 year old hardtail, it's not enough cash for a fully bouncy.
    ^^ this, for that bike i would expect to pay less than £200 if. My friend had the fuel EX5 2010, which he bought new which cost nearly £1400, he's just sold it for £450 which was what he could get, he set a reserve of £800 first time round and didn't get near it, then £600. It got bid up to £480 and then it stalled, third time lucky he set a buy it now of £650 and a reserve of £450, it just made reserve.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    ^^ this, for that bike i would expect to pay less than £200 if. My friend had the fuel EX5 2010, which he bought new which cost nearly £1400, he's just sold it for £450 which was what he could get, he set a reserve of £800 first time round and didn't get near it, then £600. It got bid up to £480 and then it stalled, third time lucky he set a buy it now of £650 and a reserve of £450, it just made reserve.
    Yea having looked at previous selling prices of some bikes its not worth paying much for that one its abit dated! Misleading due to how clean it looked when I first saw the advert. A 2010 Giant XtC2 hardtail sold last weekend for £380 in good condition gives me an idea what to expect for my money

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Suitability for getting to work makes no difference whatsoever. You could buy a bmx, a childs bike, a trials bike or a unicycle if the bike shop will sell it to you under bike to work. Similarly, nobody checks if half the bikes use is going to work (as it's supposed to be). I use old low-value bikes for work / pub / shopping duties - wouldn't dare lock a shiny new bike at school regularly.

If you want a new'un, bike to work scheme. If you're less bothered, I'd ebay - like that Giant.
    Last edited by mats; 15th June 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    That doesn't matter. I bought my bike on the scheme when I had an 80 mile commute. This year I'm thinking about using the scheme to buy an electric conversion kit (don't laugh at the back!). No one checks and the agreement is between you and your employer. It's less beneficial than it used to be but can still be worthwhile for a new bike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Picked up a Giant XTC off ebay for £200, took it for a run after changing the tyres and tubes over cannock chase's follow the dog. What a difference, owned those hills compared to before and drops were so much smoother and easier!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12