+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, A tree story.... ;) in General; Originally Posted by X-13 Woah, there's no need to twig out and bark at me. I can see you've had ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Woah, there's no need to twig out and bark at me.

I can see you've had your chlorophyll of puns, but an outburst like that could soil your reputation.
    Agggghhhhh... enough!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Agggghhhhh... enough!
    Tiiiimmmmbbbbeeerrrrr

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Oaktech (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    I am waiting for the interview where the roleplay session asctually involves the interviewer getting out some dice, pencils and paper and starting the process with
    "Your name is Tordek, you are a Dwarf fighter from the frozen northlands. You enter a 10' x 10' room, there is a chest being guarded by an orc. What do you do?"
    Sadly though - most of these kids today don't even know how to work THACO out (or even know what it is!)

5. Thanks to korifugi from:

sonofsanta (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    Sadly though - most of these kids today don't even know how to work THACO out (or even know what it is!)
    Shouldn't that be THAC0 not THACO? /pedant

Thank Post
    Aww, I was about to point that out

Stupid crappy low initiative rolls....

Thank Post
    There is something woody about this thread, can't put my finger on it though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    can't put my finger on it though
    Why, got a splinter??

10. Thanks to kernewek-sam from:

mac_shinobi (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    I don't want to go out on a limb here but did you arbor any real desire for the job?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I don't want to go out on a limb here but did you arbor any real desire for the job?
    Been playing with a chainsaw again, need a beer ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kernewek-sam View Post
    Why, got a splinter??
    its a saw point

14. Thanks to sted from:

mac_shinobi (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PICNIC View Post
    A what? never come across such a thing, usually busy trying to justify their existence
    Worked with several ... unfortunately often as someone brought in as a plant and not actually going for the job

The best interview I ever took part in was for a play leader in playschemes ... the number of people who were not willing to get involved in role play was scary ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Oh dear, that sounds horrifying! I probably would have declined at that point. As a professional, if I'd been asked to behave as a tree I would have said 'sorry but if this is how your company treats applicants this is not a company I want to work for'. An interview is not just about begging them to employ you, it is also about whether or not you want to work for that company and if they treat you like a fool then clearly that will establish a pattern for your employment so I'd have told them to get bent...
    And a good company will try to get across the message that they want you to trust them, even if you don't always understand why you are doing something. These sort of activities also spot those not open to that message.

If it is done badly, then the message doesn't come across and leads to people getting the wrong impression of the company and walking out.

If the role play can start with something associated with what the company does then it helps to break this issue down. If you take some of the tasks that certain Army Regt and Corps do when running selection courses for Corporals and Sergeants ... they vary but tend to have scenario based tasks looking at how you deal with people in a range of situations, but some also involve abnormal situations designed to stretch the imagination. Design the perfect sandwich, being a human basketball hoop, work out how to count the number blades of grass on a football pitch on Mars ... they might seem bizarre, but when done right they tell you a lot more about people ... and that is what it is all about ... finding out about how people tick.

Thank Post
    Oh god, woodn't you know it, another thread devolving into puns galore xD
    Although I'm usually not the quickest with puns, so I'll just plant myself over here in the corner and willow in self-pity... Birches ¬.¬

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    And a good company will try to get across the message that they want you to trust them, even if you don't always understand why you are doing something. These sort of activities also spot those not open to that message.

If it is done badly, then the message doesn't come across and leads to people getting the wrong impression of the company and walking out.

If the role play can start with something associated with what the company does then it helps to break this issue down. If you take some of the tasks that certain Army Regt and Corps do when running selection courses for Corporals and Sergeants ... they vary but tend to have scenario based tasks looking at how you deal with people in a range of situations, but some also involve abnormal situations designed to stretch the imagination. Design the perfect sandwich, being a human basketball hoop, work out how to count the number blades of grass on a football pitch on Mars ... they might seem bizarre, but when done right they tell you a lot more about people ... and that is what it is all about ... finding out about how people tick.
    I've had some odd interview tasks... including the tower of junk thing, I could see the value of that, I've also been asked to play MS flight sim for 30 minutes when i went for a graduate job with an aerospace company (nailed that interview - but turned the job down as I would have had to relocate and I got offered something with slightly more money a bike ride away)

I've done roleplay before, but it was always obviously related to the job. The interview that I walked out of was a full day affair with 20 candidates and was for a large communications kit manufacturer and they literally just dropped it on us immediately after lunch. The rest of the day had been a shambles, candidates told different times to arrive so the early birds including me were kept waiting from 0845 to 1030, we were given different dress codes, different lunch timings. We were inteviewing for 7 different jobs in different departments. It was like it was two discreet groups and then were all lumped in together! The interview was in guildford, but the job i was actually going for was in southampton, so i was pretty annoyed about having travelled from bournemouth for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123