+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Glasgow Airport in General; Originally Posted by Andrew_C The really significant difference with the IRA is that these fanatics DON'T HAVE AN AGENDA. Whatever ...
    Thank Post

Re: Glasgow Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    The really significant difference with the IRA is that these fanatics DON'T HAVE AN AGENDA. Whatever the individual thinks he is doing it for, he is (more or less) a loose cannon. The IRA wanted us out of N Ireland. Current attackers? A worldwide Islamic state? Israel pushed into the Mediteranian? Death to G W B?

We can't negotiate if we don't even understand the demand, and we can't retaliate without knowing who the enemy is. (OK, I'll give you that Israel does manage to retaliate without knowing who the enemy REALLY is.)
    The other major difference is that the IRA did at least give some form of a warning about their bombs. This new "enemy" does not and targets all and sundry just because we may not believe the same things as them.

OK so most religions have had their turn at trying to wipe each other out but somehow this is more sinister. In days of old (when the world didn't know any better) at least you knew your enemy. They had flags, coats of arms and were usually chucking stuff down at you from a castle on a hill.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

the middle east has always been really bad and it is only of late (due to media) that it has been bought into the limelight. Now that the cold war is over the middle east bought all the stuff from the fourmer soviot unioun (ps sorry about the spellings) as they needed the money and this is what has the western world worried (US And EUROPE) guns missiles ect ect all very cheap even submarines and warships. So now they hit back and now know that they have the power to fight back.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    So now they hit back and now know that they have the power to fight back.
    They don't really though, they think they do but all they are doing is getting the west more and more angry, forcing them to do more and more horrible things in retaliation. Put it simply, a large group of poorly trained men with AK47's and mortars is no match for a permanent, well trained and well funded modern military, it is just good at being 'annoying'.

That's the thing - the more they push, the more we push back.

Thank Post

In the middle east, one is forced to ask,

"Who is the terrorist? The 20 year old kid in $000000 worth of plane dropping a 500kg bomb on unseen people and going home for tea, or the 20 year old kid with 10kg of home made explosive strapped to his waist blowing up a security patrol eyeball to eyeball."

I don't know any more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you go by dictionary definitions, they both are.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

also where do you get the well funded from not being funny but some of the terriest have more money then our militry are getting (I have friend still in) and they buy there own boot as the ones they are bing isued fall apart in about two days. More and moe money is being taken off the militry they are being told they dont need it but i have my own veiws.(not for public viewing) But the way are boys get treated when it come to money is not good. Its only recintly that they have started getting a bonus for being out there (due to the fight for a tax relife) yet a mearchet person serving on rfas or a busnissman out there does not have to pay tx if they are out for 6 months so what do they do bring the boys back 5 months and 29 days ?? how is that right.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Right where do I start....

Had few members contact me about this thread to be honest not sure what to do over it in one mind I think should delete thread as there is serious misinformed information.

But then if I delete it would be accused of not allowing 'free speech'.

So lets start with few basics lets have no comments on what it is like to live in middle east unless you have lived there please as you only see what news gives you and I hate to burst anyone's bubble but 99% of media is bais in one form or another (that includes bbc who have we are not bias in it editorial guidelines)

Second Islamic terrorism has nothing to do with islamic religion. So while I know we all want to be back seat theologians get your facts right first.

Third the fighting between fractions in iraq and other middle east parts is lot more complicated than two religions hate each other. As alonebfg said (please note I not saying I agree or disagree with rest of his comments) this has been going on long time and has many complicated issues from it.

Right this thread can continue as long as few ground rules are observed.

1) No racism (and some of posts are verging on it)
    2) No facts you can't prove

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Thank you Russ
    I was one of those to contact you about this misinformed and racist/religionist thread
    I HAVE read the Koran and can state that most of the 'terrorists' actions have NOTHING to do with the Islamic religion.
    Just a few more things:
    The IRA DID NOT always give warnings. I am old enough to remember very well how it was then, and my sister missed dying in the Birmingham pub bombings by a whisker. To say they gave warning implies that people who died because of an IRA bomb did what - ignored the warning? Nonsense!
    Britain and the US have been selling arms to anyone who would pay for them for a very long time - so don't put all the blame on the Russians.
    The situation is very confused - certainly not black and white - and I doubt that anyone here knows enough to comment effectively.
    And as for deleting the thread - this is not a public place and the rules of free speech do not apply. It is up to you what you do - I believe that if you have EVER deleted/locked a topic before then that is precedent.
    And finally:
    What about any Muslim members we may have?
    I don't know if we have any but, for example, I know we have others of 'different' religions here - how would they feel about this thread if it was pointed at them?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    The situation is very confused - certainly not black and white - and I doubt that anyone here knows enough to comment effectively.
    Welcome to a discussion forum - that is what happens, people discuss things.

And as for deleting the thread - this is not a public place and the rules of free speech do not apply. It is up to you what you do - I believe that if you have EVER deleted/locked a topic before then that is precedent.
    Well, for one if this were deleted over something which I saw as relatively minor, I would certainly stop using the site. Free speech isn't just a case of 'it only applies to the public places' but it applies to online forums if they wish to keep their userbase - if you use Digg.com, you will have seen the massive anger at deletions that occurred there.

And finally:
    What about any Muslim members we may have?
    I don't know if we have any but, for example, I know we have others of 'different' religions here - how would they feel about this thread if it was pointed at them?
    I personally can only see a single comment that was pretty much racist. The rest discuss the concept 'Islamic terrorists' - ie. those people who believe that they are following their religion by being terrorists. There is no implication, either direct or indirect, from me anyway, that islam as a whole is to blame - that would be ignorant and stupid. There are around 1billion muslims, that is a huge number of people to make any sweeping statement about. All this is about is the minority of extremists such as those that exist in most religions (such as Christian terrorists in the USA) and movements (animal rights terrorists).

This thread is pointed at no-one. It is a discussion about the attack in Glasgow and a slight side track into the civil war that is occurring in iraq.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well I am sorry if I offended anybody by my comments. I have said it befor and i will say it again the media is a minefield I have been to many contrys in my lifetime and I am only 34 I have seen many religious movements some good some not so good. I think that we are very lucky to live where we do in england. We have many religious groups all living in harmoney. We have difrent caltures and diffrent beliefs. that is what makes us human. we are a lucky contrey by the fact we are free. I have been to china where it is a diffrent story but things are changing. In all people are good and our boys fighting are not fighting. They are a peace keeping force trying to stop civilans getting hurt and training there police fource to deal with problems. I have had two friends die this year and still it is happening. I would just like to say we are lucky and I am proud to be british. We help in schools so the teachers can teach our children and give them a good start in life some countrys dont have that. I would just like to say I wish peace was easy but it is not it is hard but one day the world will learn to live together in peace(that is my wish I can say this I have seen death poverty and war and i hate it). good luck boys you do our country proud.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Welcome to a discussion forum - that is what happens, people discuss things.

This thread is pointed at no-one. It is a discussion about the attack in Glasgow and a slight side track into the civil war that is occurring in iraq.
    You cannot discuss something if you have little or no idea of the facts, ideologies or reasons behind something that has happened.
    You can accuse, berate, and talk about some mythical 'them' but this is not discussion- it is speculation and accusation

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH

You cannot discuss something if you have little or no idea of the facts, ideologies or reasons behind something that has happened.
    You can accuse, berate, and talk about some mythical 'them' but this is not discussion- it is speculation and accusation
    What utter piffle!

Thank Post

OK - here is my take on it.

The difference between these attackers and the muslim religion is exactly the same as the difference between Christianity and the KKK.

I would class myself as somewere in the Christian spectrum of faith, but in no way would I consider myself in any way a supporter of the KKK. And this is how muslims feel about these terrorists.

It is very disturbing that these attacks are now so very crude and simple - as they have been saying all weekend, the components of the "weapons" in these attacks are stuff that anyone can go out and buy quite easily and with very little preparation inflict serious damage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    It is very disturbing that these attacks are now so very crude and simple - as they have been saying all weekend, the components of the "weapons" in these attacks are stuff that anyone can go out and buy quite easily and with very little preparation inflict serious damage.
    Not only that but detection of this purchasing is difficult because it is such 'off the shelf' stuff. How can you fight against people who make bombs from gas cylinders, petrol and nails/shrapnel?

Thank Post

I work at the school which is 200 meters away from where these people live. Its full of police and tv crew.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast