+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
General Chat Thread, Fridge Freezer Repairs... in General; Can anyone recommend a good company for home appliance repairs? Our fridge has stopped working in the fridge freezer. If ...
  1. #1
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 487 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Fridge Freezer Repairs...

    Can anyone recommend a good company for home appliance repairs? Our fridge has stopped working in the fridge freezer. If possible, I;d rather get it fixed then chuck it and get a new one. I've come across Appliance Repairs | Washing Machine, Dishwasher, Cooker Oven & Fridge Freezer Repairs and Home emergency insurance and home repairs | HomeServe. Anyone used these before?

  2. #2
    Pyroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,160
    Thank Post
    413
    Thanked 130 Times in 96 Posts
    Rep Power
    70
    Do you have a local guy you could ring for a quote?

  3. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,389
    Thank Post
    797
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    427
    The price they cost its probably worth just getting a new one.

  4. #4
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 487 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The price they cost its probably worth just getting a new one.
    True, however our one is a mid-range frost free fridge freezer and quite large compared to others. Therefore I'd rather pay less to get it fixed they pay more to get a smaller, cheaper model.
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th June 2012 at 11:11 AM.

  5. #5

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,607
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 444 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    136
    It all depends on the Make/Model/Age of the fridge. If its more than 5 years old your probably wasting your time.

    If it is a compressor related fault its unlikely that anyone will even bother to come out to look at it yet alone attempt to repair it. Does it actually run? Does it get too hot to touch?
    Find a local refrigerator specialist not just one of the national 0845 white goods fixers to get an honest opinion.

    Unfortunately the days of the old school engineers who could actually drain a system and replace a compressor and refill are few and far between the majority of domestic fridges are of limited lifespan.

    In the 90s the air con in your car would last years, then they changed to "Greener" refrigerants and now they need recharging every service!
    Bring back good old toxic waste thats what I say!

  6. Thanks to m25man from:

    Rawns (12th June 2012)

  7. #6


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,487
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    What are the symptoms? Is it just completely dead or ... what?

    My 8/9yo Samsung NoFrost started playing up a month or so ago. I'm loath to replace it because we will be gutting everything kitchen and anything bought now would likely be surplus in ~6/12 months - but we can't live without a Fridge or Freezer that long.

    We noticed switching it off and on again (...surprise!) seemed to bring it back for short periods. I stuck a timer/contactor on the back and automated it to 'reboot' every 2 hours. I also discovered forums with folks describing similar faults, and learned that Frost Free may need a compete 48 hour defrost every year or so. We found a temp home for my Stornoway black pudding collection and then did that. It helped and the unit is now much better but still not quite right in the Fridge department (sounds like a useful euphemism) but at least the ice cream now doth not runneth over and out the freezer door. I suspect some kind of temperature sensor on the 'no frost' side has gone and the controller doesn't quite get that the heat cycle is over. I'm almost tempted to tinker, hack and bodge further (arduino controlled fridge/freezer anyone?) but a) not working well is infinitely better than not working at all and b) if SWMBO comes in and it's me, the freezer, a soldering iron and a bunch of bits previously known as a vaguely working Fridge Freezer - she's likely to cut the geek sympathy and go straight for the 'right good kicking' (tm).

  8. Thanks to pcstru from:

    Rawns (12th June 2012)

  9. #7
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 487 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    The unit has power, lights, noise, and the wire radiator stlye grid at the back is warm, so it's semi-working. The freezer compartment is frozen but the fridge is slightly lower then room temperature and there is no cool air coming out of the vents. I did some Googling and a few people suggested that it can sometimes be a hidden build up of ice in the back panel of the freezer compartment blocking the vent to the fridge section. Even though it's 'frost free', I removed the back panel anyway but there was no ice. However, the fan & motor at the top of the freezer compartment which I assume vents cold air up to the fridge is dead so I assume that's all that needs replacing.
    Last edited by Rawns; 12th June 2012 at 08:43 AM.

  10. #8


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,487
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    However, the fan & motor at the top of the freezer compartment which I assume vents cold air up to the fridge is dead so I assume that's all that needs replacing.
    When you say the fan is dead, you mean you haven't seen/heard it working? That could mean the fan or that the temp sensor is faulty and so not providing triggering for the fan. It could also be the vent from the freezer to the fridge has become blocked. If it's possible, I'd defrost it properly (48 hours) just to eliminate that. There are various places might do spares. A fan or temp sensor should only be a few quid and if you are happy pulling the back off to check for ice, replacing a fan shouldn't be beyond you.

  11. #9
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 487 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    When you say the fan is dead, you mean you haven't seen/heard it working? That could mean the fan or that the temp sensor is faulty and so not providing triggering for the fan. It could also be the vent from the freezer to the fridge has become blocked. If it's possible, I'd defrost it properly (48 hours) just to eliminate that. There are various places might do spares. A fan or temp sensor should only be a few quid and if you are happy pulling the back off to check for ice, replacing a fan shouldn't be beyond you.
    Yea, sorry that was what I meant. Not very electronically minded unless it's a PC! In my mind, not spinning = not working!!! I have removed the panel and can see the vent up to the fridge and it is clear of blockages. Did not think about the temperature sensor.

  12. #10

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    2,463
    Thank Post
    678
    Thanked 451 Times in 363 Posts
    Rep Power
    229
    You might find the part you are looking for in here... NEDIS UK - Online Catalogue or from eSpares - Spare Parts & Accessories for Electrical Appliances

    the fans are usually a matter of a few quid each, likewise stats, so it's probably worth trying it before you throw away.

  13. Thanks to Oaktech from:

    Rawns (12th June 2012)

  14. #11
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 487 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    You might find the part you are looking for in here... NEDIS UK - Online Catalogue or from eSpares - Spare Parts & Accessories for Electrical Appliances

    the fans are usually a matter of a few quid each, likewise stats, so it's probably worth trying it before you throw away.
    Thanks Oaktech, I'll check that out.

  15. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    london uk
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    fridge repair

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Thanks Oaktech, I'll check that out.
    We had many problems with our american style fridge and numerous engineers from different companies to look at our machine but still the problem persisted in the end we were just about to give up when by a stroke of luck we got hold of an engineer from agsrefrigeration a company who service the london and surrey area they came out to look at our appliance and manage to find the cause of our problem and replace the faulty part its has been a couple of years now and we have had no further problems. If anyone his in need of a straight to the point no nonsense engineer and live in the london area give these guys a call. www.agsrefrigeration.co.uk.

  16. #13

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,840
    Thank Post
    62
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Replacing a thermostat is fairly easy, and cheap. Might be worth looking at this before incurring significant costs.

  17. #14

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,840
    Thank Post
    62
    Thanked 348 Times in 269 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    To add; CPC's "The Tradesman" flier this month has a handy lookup table for most common fridges. Inside back page. If you can't get a look at one, let me know and I'll scan it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend me a fridge freezer
    By nicholab in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 9th June 2011, 11:33 AM
  2. American Style Fridge Freezer help
    By RTFM in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th June 2011, 12:50 PM
  3. Recommended laptop repair shops?
    By OutToLunch in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 3rd April 2009, 10:05 AM
  4. Artic-cooling Freezer CPU - FYI
    By contink in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th July 2006, 10:56 AM
  5. Printer repairs
    By NetworkGeezer in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th May 2006, 08:09 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •