+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Euro 2012 in General; Originally Posted by GREED I'm sorry, but that is sweet justice after the debacle that was the last World Cup... ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is sweet justice after the debacle that was the last World Cup... hahaha for once goal line technology would have actually worked AGAINST us!
    Agreed! After the Lampard incident in the world cup, we deserve a bit of luck.

Italy will still be a tough game though. I think he should start with Rooney and Carroll up front and 100% either Theo or Oxlade-Chamberlain. We need to put their defence under pressure.

If we win, I can see a lot of people being "ill" on Monday! Ha

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    I can't believe that fate was on our side for once! How on earth did we win that?!

And as for France getting Spain in the next round... well it's only fair!

Thank Post
    A better team would have punished us tonight. We lose posession too easily and give the opposition too much space and an easy path into the box.

Thank Post
    The goal that was not should not have been due to him being offside anyway.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure where I stand on goal-line technology. My head says bring it in asap, but I can also see what used to be Blatter's main argument against it. From the proverbial Hackney Marshes to the Maracana in Rio, the game is the same, with the same laws and (apart from Platini's ornamental goal-line officials) the same officials. At what level does the goal-line technology cease to be mandatory? I was a County Ref for five years (2000-2005) and I know that an allowed goal that didn't cross the line or a disallowed goal that did cross the line is just as important to the guys playing for the Red Cow on the local playing fields as it would be to the preening ballerinas.....sorry, I mean, of course, the Premiership players at WHL, The Emirates, OT and The Etihad. And let's not forget, if we'd had goal-line technology back in the day, we might not have that Star above The Three Lions.

Was anyone listening to 606 on 5Live after the game last night? A guy phoned in with a really salient point about use of video replay, which was 'How long before the lawyers get involved?' Yes, the ball crossed the line, but there was an offside in the build-up, and if you go back far enough there was probably a foul that wasn't given before that, and was it really a goal-kick or should it have been a corner before that etc etc and so on and so fifth. There's been at least one stick-on penalty turned down that could have made the difference (if scored) between a team qualifying for the quarters or not. Once the legal profession(?) get a sniff of Football/Premiership money, they'll be in like Flynn, and the whole thing will end up being decided in a court-room rather than on the field of play. Discuss.

Whatever, we're still in it for one more game, and we topped the group. I'm beginning to be really impressed with some of our performances. Yes, we still give the ball away too cheaply, and we still concede bad goals but we're still in it. I was astounded at the Sweden game, so many times I've seen England teams that would have folded, panicked and blown it after going 2-1 down. I was disappointed we didn't kill Ukraine off with a second goal, but it was good to see another 1-0 win, which in past tournaments would have ended as 1-1. Ashley Young has been completely anonymous and a defensive liability, could have taken Aaron Lennon and played him on the left, probably more successfully and threatening than AY has been. Danny Welbeck.....yeah, good goal, but overall, not enough of a threat, physical or otherwise, the Italian defence will have him for breakfast. James Milner, don't think he's really international class, but he's done a defensive job, which RH likes. Ashley Cole, best left-back in the world still.

I think Italy are more beatable than Spain would have been, but whether we'll beat them or not is another matter.

Worst of all........there's no football on TV tonight.
    Last edited by Earthling; 20th June 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I think Italy are more beatable than Spain would have been, but whether we'll beat them or not is another matter.
    All very good points and as for the legal side of things, this is how F1 is going, the more money involved, the more there is to risk.

Don't forget, if we do get past Italy, we are due to get Germany in semis as I can see them breezing past Greece

Thank Post
    I'm not sure where I stand on goal-line technology. My head says bring it in asap, but I can also see what used to be Blatter's main argument against it. From the proverbial Hackney Marshes to the Maracana in Rio, the game is the same, with the same laws and (apart from Platini's ornamental goal-line officials) the same officials. At what level does the goal-line technology cease to be mandatory? I was a County Ref for five years (2000-2005) and I know that an allowed goal that didn't cross the line or a disallowed goal that did cross the line is just as important to the guys playing for the Red Cow on the local playing fields as it would be to the preening ballerinas.....sorry, I mean, of course, the Premiership players at WHL, The Emirates, OT and The Etihad. And let's not forget, if we'd had goal-line technology back in the day, we might not have that Star above The Three Lions.
    It's the same as Hawkeye in tennis and cricket though, it's only used at the top level and no-one complains. In lower league football there arnt cameras capturing things from every angle, so less complaints, apart from really blatent mistakes.

Was anyone listening to 606 on 5Live after the game last night? A guy phoned in with a really salient point about use of video replay, which was 'How long before the lawyers get involved?' Yes, the ball crossed the line, but there was an offside in the build-up, and if you go back far enough there was probably a foul that wasn't given before that, and was it really a goal-kick or should it have been a corner before that etc etc and so on and so fifth. There's been at least one stick-on penalty turned down that could have made the difference (if scored) between a team qualifying for the quarters or not. Once the legal profession(?) get a sniff of Football/Premiership money, they'll be in like Flynn, and the whole thing will end up being decided in a court-room rather than on the field of play. Discuss.
    Can't really see this happening. I'm sure someone might in the future try to sue based on loss of prize money for an incorrect decision in a game, but it will never change the result of a match - it is accepted that the referees decision is final, even if it might not be correct when watching replays. Even terrible tackles can go unpunished if the ref sees the incident (but not the severity) and that's the way it should be, you cant start changing things after a match has finished.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    we should definitely football more goalpoints before we're out feetballed in footballarium.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    All very good points and as for the legal side of things, this is how F1 is going, the more money involved, the more there is to risk.

Don't forget, if we do get past Italy, we are due to get Germany in semis as I can see them breezing past Greece
    Haven't forgotten Germany. I've been wondering already whether it's better to lose to Italy and go out before losing the penalty-shootout to Germany (again). But, hey, we have to get past Italy first. By the same token, Germany have to get past Greece.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    I think Hawkeye is a good idea, but wonder whether it would have helped yesterday?

Both the ball and a defender crossed the line at the same time. Could the technology tell the difference every time?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think Hawkeye is a good idea, but wonder whether it would have helped yesterday?

Both the ball and a defender crossed the line at the same time. Could the technology tell the difference every time?
    At least it would make a decision...unlike the additional liners around the 18 yard line. So far the only thing I can see that they have done is have a closer view of watching the game!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    It's the same as Hawkeye in tennis and cricket though, it's only used at the top level and no-one complains. In lower league football there arnt cameras capturing things from every angle, so less complaints, apart from really blatent mistakes.

Can't really see this happening. I'm sure someone might in the future try to sue based on loss of prize money for an incorrect decision in a game, but it will never change the result of a match - it is accepted that the referees decision is final, even if it might not be correct when watching replays. Even terrible tackles can go unpunished if the ref sees the incident (but not the severity) and that's the way it should be, you cant start changing things after a match has finished.
    With all due respect to Lord's and Wimbledon (more to Lord's than Wimbledon), tennis and cricket are not football. They are not as important to me as football. Cricket nearly is, but tennis, to me, is just two weeks of rain in the middle/end of June.

By the way....what are 'really blatant mistakes'? Last night's disallowed 'goal'? The Martin Atkinson goal that Chelsea scored against Spurs in the FA Cup semi....that didn't go anywhere near the line, let alone over it. The Lampard goal disallowed in South Africa? The Hurst goal awarded in the 66 World Cup FInal? Can't get much more blatant than any of those. What if the Red Cow of the Borehamwood and District League (for example) have a couple of guys strategically placed recording the game on camcorders or even mobiles? Will video replay come into it then because it's allowed in top-class games? And if not, why not?

Understand, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, as I said originally, I'm not sure where I stand on goal-line technology, as it's called. I'm equally divided over Hawkeye and Hot Spot in cricket.

Your point about someone in the future trying to sue for compensation is exactly what I'm talking about. I know results of games won't be changed, neither should they be, but if we use video replays and those replays prove that a result was determined by an error on a referee's or referee's assistant's part, then what price the result, really?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    At least it would make a decision...unlike the additional liners around the 18 yard line. So far the only thing I can see that they have done is have a closer view of watching the game!!
    T'riffic gig, if you can get it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blatter - Technology a necessity | England Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports

wow... it only takes England to make the man shift quicker than... a quick thing...

Thank Post
    Screw goal line tech - just let the ref review the footage like rugby.

whats the problem?

16. Thanks to tommej from:

GREED (20th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast