+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Classic IT Support 'types'.... in General; I have to say, i fit somewhere slightly uncomfortably between "The Hobby Jobbist" and "The Terminator" The kids hate me ...

Thank Post
    I have to say, i fit somewhere slightly uncomfortably between "The Hobby Jobbist" and "The Terminator"

The kids hate me because I am The One That Blocks Games, and i usually react to problems with "Now what have they broken" But if you engage me in conversation, i'll be only too pleased to bore you silly with the fun i'm having with my raspberry pi!

Thank Post
    The Overlooked Techie...

Nomally the female of the tech support team, who even though will know the solution and willing to give advice and help out, is generally 'overlooked' due to being female. Luckily this doesn't happen much nowadays but have had plenty of experience of this with phone support and other support roles, where the end user would like to talk to a 'real' technician or some who knows what they're talking about. These users are generally older and of a generation that believe that females should be at home rearing children!!

sorry rant over.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the different types that have been posted, I seem to be a mix of The "Lazy-sits-in-his-chair-all-day" Type, The Naive Enthusiast and Santa's Little Helper.

And maybe a bit of The Overlooked Techie... But because I'm young, not because I'm female.
    Last edited by X-13; 12th June 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I misplaced a [B]...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyspoof View Post
    The Overlooked Techie...

Nomally the female of the tech support team, who even though will know the solution and willing to give advice and help out, is generally 'overlooked' due to being female. Luckily this doesn't happen much nowadays but have had plenty of experience of this with phone support and other support roles, where the end user would like to talk to a 'real' technician or some who knows what they're talking about. These users are generally older and of a generation that believe that females should be at home rearing children!!

sorry rant over.....
    Having started my female IT career in the early 1980s, I know ALL about this one!

The Overlooked Techie can also be one who works in Primary (either gender) as their Secondary equivalents (usually young and male) assume that because the Primary Techie doesn't have a massive network and a team of people, then Primary Techies are worse than Hobby Jobbists.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

hardtailstar (12th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The Overlooked Techie can also be one who works in Primary (either gender) as their Secondary equivalents (usually young and male) assume that because the Primary Techie doesn't have a massive network and a team of people, then Primary Techies are worse than Hobby Jobbists.
    I sense the barely restrained rage behind that comment... And know that feel.

TheLibrarian
    50% "Lazy-sits-in-his-chair-all-day"
    35% "CLIngon"
    15% "The Hobby Jobbist"

All encompassed in the "Re-tred" @broc defined below.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 12th June 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    The Re-tred, a bit like the manager described earlier. Spent his entire life in IT, has seen it all, seen the fashions in IT come & go.... mainframe, micro, PC, handheld, smartphone...centralise, decentralise, cluster, distribute, virtualise..... It's all the same. Started his career in mainframes as a techy... worked his way up the organisation(s), ended up being remote from day-to-day operations, either in management or consultancy; decided on a career change late in life, left his expense account, company car, company credit cards, living out of a suitcase, never at home.... & got a job in school, working with real problems, real people, hands on. Goes home after work with a smile on his face because he is happy with life again.....

9. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 'Misplaced'

Has a vast array of hard to get high-end technical qualifications much valued by certain sectors of the IT industry, none of which are applicable to the role they are now in which involves equipment, software and processes totally alien to their previous experience. Not generally incompetent or unable to do their job, it's just the lost look on their face when they realise that all they have learnt and done in the past now means nothing. Generally up for a challenge and can be brought up to speed quickly.

Also related to the 'Mis-trained'

As above but tend to be younger, keener and always fancied a career in IT. They have studied either through educational channels or at home for their qualifications, but find that what they are now unqualified and inexperienced for the role that they actually wanted to do in the first place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm moving this to General Chat so the whole world can benefit

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyspoof View Post
    The Overlooked Techie...

sorry rant over.....
    I've never actually met a female IT tech, have heard of them and talked to a few on here but have never actually encountered one in real life. It would be a bit of a black swan event for me to actually meet one so my Terminator HUD would be unlikely to flag one. Not from any sexist standpoint, just from a rarity standpoint.

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (12th June 2012)

Thank Post
    I know of one lady technician, she's a bigger geek than many people I know & I bow to her knowledge especially in certain areas. She's a lovely person too. I think we need more lady technicians like her......

Thank Post
    The Catch 22

This techie has worked in the industry for a good few years, and is now pretty good at what he does. Most things are fixed in record time, and anything that isn't is more likely to do with prioritisation than because of lack of knowledge/ability. He can do most things despite not having the certificates to prove it, and as a result finds it hard to obtain the training, either because work dont see the need, he can't afford it, or see's them as a waste of time since they really can do it already.
    A thankless individual, he is under-appreciated in general, as people are used to him being able to accomplish almost any task. He is stuck in the rut of employment; where he's too good at what he does where he is, therefore everything works and he is mostly getting bored with the daily tasks and sporadic projects, compared to a lesser-experienced body who would still struggle to keep things running as smoothly, and therefore be (or at least appear) busier.
    This techie will either one day get a lucky break and move onto some new exciting role within IT, or give it all up to become a Bottanist.

16. 3 Thanks to Rydra:

AButters (25th June 2012), Flakes (15th June 2012), mthomas08 (1st July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    thats me with the local secondary giving me grief!

Thank Post
    The 'Catch 22', thats got to be the most interesting variant yet.

You could probably rename that to.............'The Network Manager'

Thank Post
    OK - what we need is a Google Spreadsheet, with the Titles across the top , description in 2nd row and then each Edugeek sticks the percentages of each trait they admit to

Idea? Yes/No (Just hit thanks button and if I get more than 20 I'll knock one up)

Si

Example
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lY0Z0dKMVBPRWc
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 12th June 2012 at 04:19 PM.

20. 10 Thanks to SimpleSi:

ButterflyMoon (25th June 2012), elsiegee40 (12th June 2012), liamvaughan (12th June 2012), newpersn (24th June 2012), Oaktech (12th June 2012), sonofsanta (12th June 2012), spookyspoof (12th June 2012), SYNACK (12th June 2012), wesleyw (12th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast