+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, iPad (or similar) in an IT Office in General; Hello all, Not sure if this is in the right place so apoligies if it isn't... I have a question ...

Thank Post

iPad (or similar) in an IT Office

Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right place so apoligies if it isn't...

I have a question that has been on my mind for ages and would like to know what others think. The main question is what do IT Staff (NM's etc) need devices like iPads (or equivalents) for in the School / Office environment, I can understand why "some" students may want them but personally I think they are a waste of money in that use. Finally what would you do with them as a Network Manager or Junior Technician etc.. I have thought of a few things and am drawing up a table of advantages and disadvantages and am asking for contributions.

If you have one what sort of things do you use it for ??

Advantages,

Ideal for Internet Surfing,
    Updating School Website (If possible),
    RDP,
    App Development (Skills)
    email
    updating schools FB or Twitter (If they have it)

Disadvantages,

Distraction, (Apps, Games, News, Photos, iMessage etc....)
    Limited to the iOS Family (and jailbreaking) however Win 8 support for ARM may change this ???
    Nothing really special compared to a netbook etc.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Advantages include Notes, easy to take minutes during meetings, apps to manage job list (I use Remember the Milk), quick email, SIMS app (emerge), Lync app, VMWare control and monitoring app, HP & Dell management apps, AD User management app, Server density server monitoring app, text editors for quick html/content changes and dropbox app for quick access to documents on the go.

Disadvantages include 'I will just listen to some music...shit where did my afternoon go!'

Thank Post
    I do not seen any benefit, its for use at home.

I see them as time wasters. They have put some in at our place (the 3G model) for users to connect into a citrix gateway. Keeping well clear of it.

hit
    Thank Post
    I always thought an iPad would be a waste of money until I was bought one (not by work BTW). Now it hardly leaves my side.

I use it for the following:
    Note taking
    Email
    Time management
    VMware VCentre + licensing management
    SSH
    VNC/RDP
    As a library for service manuals in PDF format
    To quickly google something
    Updating Schools websites and digital signage
    Impero classroom management
    As a VOIP phone (bit flakey, but does work)
    LGfL management on the Atomwide support site

Also as more of my schools move over to LGfL2 I can use the Cisco AnyConnect app to do all of this remotely as well. As I'm rarely at my desk it means I can do a lot of tasks without having to log on to a machine nearby or run back to the office.

I even keep up to date on edugeek on it (am using it now)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I do not seen any benefit, its for use at home.

I see them as time wasters. They have put some in at our place (the 3G model) for users to connect into a citrix gateway. Keeping well clear of it.
    I have to agree, I have mentioned at times it would be useful to access the help centre/internet which can be done on my iPhone. Having purchased two for SMT one was returned she said that it just sat there collecting dust when everything she is used to and uses is on the laptop. We have looked at Emerge but the cost doesn't out way the fact its a convenience. We have one to play/test and the only thing we do on it is just to play around with to fix other peoples problems with their own (plus give advice). As the new head said its a lot of money to get these up and running properly and time for training. We just provide a laptop which has access to everything and plenty of PCs. It seems from my view that people just use them for anything they can to justify it. Just like our 2nd SMT who comes along with it in the meetings (while others have their laptops) which only take about 4 seconds extra to unlock.

Thank Post
    I've got a work one as I refuse to support the bloody things without knowing how to use it myself.

That said now I've figured it out it just stays at home so I'm going to give it back after the Summer - I still find pen and paper much better for taking notes than a restrictive app.

Thank Post
    @mthomas08 can you ask your head to come and work for my lot!

They are just gimics I think, no actual benefit apart from at home.

Thank Post
    What file Explorer do people use on there iPads?

Thank Post
    I own one - actually it was given to me by my sister - and I thought this would help improve productivity. Did it? God no. It took forever to write notes, plan anything effective etc. If anything, it's great for data consumption but rubbish at content creation.

It's a waste of money and everything I need to do, like right now as I'm typing this, is on my laptop. That said, I quickly use the iPad to look up something or play stupid games on it.

Thank Post
    I've been given one from my place of work. And I'm finding it useful for a couple of reasons, I'm able to get emails and use my calendar from any where. Also I am able to check our help desk system, like today, I was at one end of the college site and had fixed a problem so before I left the building I checked the help desk system and there had been a job just sent in for a room in the same building so I was and to fix the fault before I left the building, which meant that I was not walking from one end of the college site to the other end and back again. It's also good for looking up fault numbers and manuals for products like projectors.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everything that has been said (positively) so far and more.

Access to notes / agendas and minutes from previous meetings (saves me from carrying a rather full portfolio case which I had to do previously ... carefully selecting the right documents before going to meetings as well).
    Notes are taken in Evernote (generally) and I also do a fair few mind maps / diagrams / etc ... again, pen and paper would work here but I can now save different versions (as project progress) and share them around so much easier.
    Between my work phone (Palm Treo) and the calendar on my iPad (connected to personal / private calendars) I can manage my time and tasks far easier.
    Remote access to files
    Remote access to key systems
    Skype & Lync (both well used)

A fair chunk of the above I could do on other tablet devices too ... so it is not just an iPad thing ... I just find doing it via an iPad is easier atm, as it also ties in with the existing systems I use for personal stuff as well.

I still use a desktop when needed, partly because I am not happy with the functionality of some tools on a tablet. Once I get my hands on a Surface Pro that might change ... I don't know.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread