+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Are IT Depts hated in schools? in General; Originally Posted by beeswax With BSF the first problem would be solved, as you'd have the same pieces of kit ...

Thank Post

Re: Are IT Depts hated in schools?

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    With BSF the first problem would be solved, as you'd have the same pieces of kit throughout the school.
    For how long? Within a few months, the installed projector will be out of production. Within a year one will be sick and need repair. Within two years one will need to be replaced by something different and from here on you have two, three or more different models until the bulk get changed after 3/4 years. Except the two or three that are newish... Back in the same-old, same-old.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    I keep two spare projectors in the school in case one of our 25 breaks or needs a lamp I don't have although I have plenty of spares at the moment for all 3 types. I've purposely kept the model of projectors down to a minimum for this reason!
    Ah, but the brackets for each model are always slightly different. The staff would then have to have one on a desk, which they don't like doing. And as you say, you only have 3 types - I have inherited more than a dozen types...

Thank Post

Nope, the only dept that is really hated in school is PE!!!!

1. Half the kids turn up late for a lesson, dishevelled, muddy and as high as kites. They've just had PE!!!!

2. Half the kids don't turn up at all. They have a football match that the PE dept "forgot" to tell people about!!!!

3. The PE dept remember to tell people about the match. Teachers plan special lessons to deal with the smaller part-groups they will be getting ..... book them into small ICT suites etc. 1 hour before lesson it starts to rain so match cancelled etc. ........ chaos!!!

So I thank God I'm not a PE teacher!!!!

Thank Post

Not if you consider the amount of biscuits and chocolates in our fridge at the moment that have been bought for us by staff.

Although I think this is more to do with the rest of the team rather than me - I am the grumpy overlord whose hands their fate lies in (or more accurately the budget that *might* be used to get them some new kit in their department!)

Or perhaps that is why the biscuits are coming in - they have caught wind of the £100k I am about to spend and these gifts are their sacrifices to rid vengence from the purchasing decisions!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    Not if you consider the amount of biscuits and chocolates in our fridge at the moment that have been bought for us by staff.
    I get dark rum

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    run in with the head bcs a senior teacher complained that the on-line ALAN testing system wasnt working properly and we should stay til the job was done, as it turns out, that teacher was working til 5:45, the edexcel documentation was incorrect, and they weren't clicking the right button. They "happened" to bump in to head, had a whinge, and all of a sudden, ICT turn in to exam invigillators because the test is done on pc's despite not a single technical issue occuring over the whole period of them being used.
    The exams problem is something I've run into a few times (Edexcel, QCA etc) where it becomes a tech issue to ensure EVERYTHING is working - and tested - without test accounts or active service until the exam is sat. I HATE online testing that requires poxy software, even worse 'server' software and plug-ins... RANT!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT
    1 hour before lesson it starts to rain so match cancelled etc. ........ chaos!!!
    No PE in the rain? Puh!

kerrymoralee9280

IT is going to fail at times. That's the first point staff must be alerted about in order for them to understand. The second point is ensuring them that you are employed to reduce these failures as much as humanly possible.

I think wherever you go, even at our school of technology, you get a good portion of staff who are ignorant when it comes to IT and new technologies. Likewise, you get pupils at every school who play up. The thing is, a good teacher will make extra time for them to try and get them through it.

I feel, it is my job to do the same. I'm providing cutting edge technologies here, but what use is it if it does not get used?

You have to force staff to use IT. For instance, if something is done on paper at the minute (i.e. detentions), why not introduce a system that is purely IT based, take the paper system out of place and give training how to use it.

They get used to it, discover it makes life easier, and in the end rely on it. So you do it more and more with more and more paper based things. Then, a teacher can't live without their laptop, and actually starts to see that IT is there to help people.

Eventually staff will back you when it comes to introducing new ideas (providing there is sufficient needs for them), and even come to you and ask if it is possible to implement *this* or *that* system for them.

It took a lengthy 3 years to completely roll out here, but I can honestly say it was worth the rollercoaster.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries

I absolutely agree.

I've done similar things with room booking, detentions, staff forums, briefings, cover, etc,etc.

The more you make it a part of peoples lives the more they will rely on it, learn to use it, and want to use it more.

Thank Post

We get death threats daily from both students and staff, no one here is open to change, and the staffs are as bad if not worse than the kids for using dodgy websites, such as the proxy bypass sites etc. There is just no way we can win right now, since BSF, we have slightly more power and control, such as come Sept, all staff are being sent on an ECDL course as some have trouble with a mouse. Hopefully they will have a little more appreciation for us then!

Thank Post

not here, teachers love us as we always come to the rescue!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    not here, teachers love us as we always come to the rescue!
    So do we, we have a team of 3, 1 of which (me) is on 24/7 call out for when private companies hire the campus for conference ect and still, we get no respect!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12