+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My IT Related Blog! in General; Morning! So I decided to start up a blog that will basically cover a vast amount of work I do, ...

Thank Post

Cool My IT Related Blog!

Morning!

So I decided to start up a blog that will basically cover a vast amount of work I do, and what I have done to overcome problems that i have faced, an informal computer blog

So I just wanted to give it a little publicity on here as you guys are the audience I want to have read and comment on my blog!

I am 21 years of age, and I started up the blog last night so the content is thin on the ground as it stands but! Don't fear! Because I shall be adding fresh content very soon!

So if your at a loose end (and I know us IT guys don't get a moment to ourselves most of the time!) then please pop in and have a read, maybe leave a comment, or email me a suggestion.

Many many thanks!

Ryan

Click here to view my blog!

Thank Post
    Looks good, Looking forward to more posts. You are in a very similar position to me apart from I am still on the 'first step of the ladder'

3. Thanks to jdoldridge from:

RJohnson91 (8th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Will keep an eye on this, doing a blog has been really useful for me as a) a technical showcase and b) a reminder for how I've done stuff and where I've put things (already re-downloaded some of my own Moodle themes 2-3 times since

5. Thanks to gshaw from:

RJohnson91 (13th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoldridge View Post
    Looks good, Looking forward to more posts. You are in a very similar position to me apart from I am still on the 'first step of the ladder'

Thanks, ill be updating it very soon, I hope that it will be an insightful blog, and i hope that you and other will enjoy it, I need to get a good 'base' of people reading it!

I know how you feel, I was incredibly lucky to be able to find the job I currently have. But once you get of that first step its easier to climb!

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Will keep an eye on this, doing a blog has been really useful for me as a) a technical showcase and b) a reminder for how I've done stuff and where I've put things (already re-downloaded some of my own Moodle themes 2-3 times since
    Thanks! Please leave comments where you see fit, I will be updating it very soon. That is one of the reasons I created the blog as well, its so hard to keep track of everything that we all do, but with a blog it makes it a whole lot easier !

Remember to follow me if your interested (I think you can follow blogs, im new to wordpress)

EDIT- Ahh I read your blog before I started mine! You were one of the reasons i started with wordpress and not other blogging websites, I liked the look and feel of yours.
    Last edited by RJohnson91; 8th June 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Thank Post
    25 People have already look at my blog through the link on EduGeek

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Will be interesting to see how your blog develops. Your School seem to be stepping into areas I have an interest in so will defo pop back to your blog.

9. Thanks to fiza from:

RJohnson91 (9th June 2012)

Thank Post
    To go virtual or not ?

New blog post !

Explaining how to set up a thin client and kiosk software ... for free!

WorkingWithIT

11. Thanks to RJohnson91 from:

speckytecky (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    New blog post!
    Great blog. Just a couple of comments...

Quote Originally Posted by workingwithit
    all you have to do is create a ‘thin’ XP
    Microsoft have a couple of stripped-down OSs designed for making fat clients less fat: Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (XP) and Windows Thin PC (Windows 7).

Quote Originally Posted by workingwithit
    The 10zig boxes come with a very easy to set up ‘kiosk’ mode, and you can buy them ‘citrix’ ‘vmware’ ready etc.
    Now I think these boxes range from £150 each onwards, and then there is a licensing fee for the kiosk software per machine
    @jamesfed posted some prices for the 10zig thin clients and licenses in this thread. You may also be interested in his blog called My World of IT.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Great blog. Just a couple of comments...

Microsoft have a couple of stripped-down OSs designed for making fat clients less fat: Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (XP) and Windows Thin PC (Windows 7).

@jamesfed posted some prices for the 10zig thin clients and licenses in this thread. You may also be interested in his blog called My World of IT.
    Thank you very much, both for your kind words and also your pointers to prices etc.

Ironically i went to his VDI demo day only a few days ago! And i completely forgot that he was on Edugeek, which is horrendous memory because its here i heard about the demo day!

Anyway insanity and memory loss aside, i have now updated the post with prices and links to websites. thank you very much!

Ryan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great blog thanks for starting it - I'm looking forward to keeping up to date with it.

16. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Thank Post
    Nice to see my spirit of information sharing is working

Guess I'm going to have to start upping the post count on my website to stay on top of things (although I do have some nice photos of some Lync phones going up soon).

18. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Great blog thanks for starting it - I'm looking forward to keeping up to date with it.
    Cheers mate, i have changed the look of it, because a few people have said the previous 'theme' wasn't that great on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Nice to see my spirit of information sharing is working

Guess I'm going to have to start upping the post count on my website to stay on top of things (although I do have some nice photos of some Lync phones going up soon).
    It has! You inspired me, among other things, to start the blog about the virtual project.

I may get another page going for different updates, more 'personal IT' related. Hopefully when our school has got to some kind of standard with the virtual system, we can have other schools over for a demo day

Ryan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are looking at Thin Client and Remote Computing, you may want to keep an eye on mine too EduGeek.net - TheScarfedOne - Blogs where Ive talked about our setup - and there is a forthcoming post on the MS Schools Blog too at Microsoft UK Education - Blogs - Schools blog there are a few others there worth a look

21. 2 Thanks to TheScarfedOne:

RJohnson91 (13th August 2012), speckytecky (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    If you are looking at Thin Client and Remote Computing, you may want to keep an eye on mine too EduGeek.net - TheScarfedOne - Blogs where Ive talked about our setup - and there is a forthcoming post on the MS Schools Blog too at Microsoft UK Education - Blogs - Schools blog there are a few others there worth a look
    Oh awesome, ill have a look at that, that may help us!

--------------------------------------------------------

New post!

Why we can't user HyperV... and is there an SSD that works for VMWare?

View my blog!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJohnson91 View Post
    is there an SSD that works for VMware?
    In addition to the really expensive (but nice) Fusion I/O PCIe SSDs, you may want to take a look at the Intel 910 Series (£1296.79 for 400GB, Review) and SanDisk Lightning SSA (more info). Both SSDs use an LSI SAS2008 PCIe to SAS bridge chip so they are supported out-of-the-box by pretty much every hypervisor and OS available, including VMware ESXi v4.x & v5.0.

The LSI WarpDrive SLP-300 also uses the same bridge chip, but due to the SLC NAND onboard is quite expensive (£6,300!!!).

24. Thanks to Arthur from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast