+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, My IT Related Blog! in General; Interesting, I'll have to check it out....
    Thank Post
    Interesting, I'll have to check it out.

2. Thanks to cuester from:

RJohnson91 (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Well alot has been going on, and alot has changed.

There is a new 'All About Me' page (Navigate on the left of my blog) which shows a picture of me (yay?) and a brief 'about me' paragraph.

Also there is a new main blog post!!

Please check it out ..

OH and use the new URL www.workingwithit.co.uk

Thank Post
    Awesome! Way to go, we really do need good blogs with good information. Maybe in the future, a great site to reference for tech questions and new technologies would be Blog | ITNinja

We have excellent information and great topics for all things IT. Keep up the good work!

David Malmborg
    I work with Dell

5. Thanks to davidbrg1 from:

RJohnson91 (13th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrg1 View Post
    Awesome! Way to go, we really do need good blogs with good information. Maybe in the future, a great site to reference for tech questions and new technologies would be Blog | ITNinja

We have excellent information and great topics for all things IT. Keep up the good work!

David Malmborg
    I work with Dell
    Ill take this comment as you have actually read my Blog and you're not just taking the opportunity to advertise :P

Thank you!! I will check out ITNinja, Are you an Admin or a Writer of the articles on that website?

If you feel my Blog is worth it, maybe a little mention in a post, I'm finding it difficult to 'promote' my blog. Only if you have the time / think it is worth the promotion.

Many thanks for any information / help you provide

Ryan

Thank Post
    Interesting reading about those server SSDs, how much did they set you back?

Have been considering VDI for some time now but it all comes back to the crazy prices for the backend storage in order to get the IOPs we'd need for 50-100 Windows 7 desktops (design guides say 20 IOPS per machine so 20 x 100 = 2000 IOPS aka 10-11 15k SAS hard drives... ouch). A couple of SSDs would do the job perfectly with a couple of HDDs for state change data but so far the cost has been prohibitive

Btw the font size on your blog is a bit on the small side imo One other personal preference is I'd go for a 2-column layout rather than 3, makes it easier to read the articles as you eyes aren't jumping down the lines so much.
    Last edited by gshaw; 14th August 2012 at 11:45 AM.

8. Thanks to gshaw from:

RJohnson91 (14th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post

Have been considering VDI for some time now but it all comes back to the crazy prices for the backend storage in order to get the IOPs we'd need for 50-100 Windows 7 desktops (design guides say 20 IOPS per machine so 20 x 100 = 2000 IOPS aka 10-11 15k SAS hard drives... ouch). A couple of SSDs would do the job perfectly with a couple of HDDs for state change data but so far the cost has been prohibitive

Btw the font size on your blog is a bit on the small side imo One other personal preference is I'd go for a 2-column layout rather than 3, makes it easier to read the articles as you eyes aren't jumping down the lines so much.
    You may want to have a look at a string of posts I did here - Series: Virtual Desktops on PCI-E SSD « my world of IT

Are also working on a RDS farm that uses SSD as well - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT

10. Thanks to jamesfed from:

RJohnson91 (14th August 2012)

Thank Post

The SSD's set us back around £1200 each, which is a mear drop in the ocean when you compare them to the fusions, that retail at around £5000 I believe?
    (Spec of Intels here - Intel® Solid-State Drive 910 Series: Product Specification)

Yeah going virtual is not a cheap exercise, I don't think we will get much change out of £150,000 if we wanted to virtualise the whole school, but you can very nicely virtualise, say, 3 rooms... on 2 good £6000 Dell Poweredge racks, with 4 Intel SSD (Yet to be tested, but im sure they are supported by hypervisors) (and a sas or two, as you cant boot from the SSD), VDI in a box.. and the free xen server .... and you could be up and running extremely easily. Use the ESS microsoft licencing and you're laughing!!! (Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - EES)

There are other cards, and the benefits of the SSD's are amazing compared to SAS ... Like James has said below, check out his videos, it gives a great over view of how fast they are!! Oh and cheers for information on the font and columns, i need a new layout, getting bored of that one

Ryan

EDIT- OH and thanks for reading the blog, please follow and check back for more!
    Last edited by RJohnson91; 14th August 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    !!BLOG UPDATE!!!

I have now posted a video on my blog just showing off the Intel 910 SSD

Come have a watch the video is only 5 minutes long Come listen to my weird voice

www.workingwithit.co.uk

Ryan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Have been considering VDI for some time now but it all comes back to the crazy prices for the backend storage in order to get the IOPs we'd need for 50-100 Windows 7 desktops (design guides say 20 IOPS per machine so 20 x 100 = 2000 IOPS aka 10-11 15k SAS hard drives... ouch).
    Should be quite easy with SSDs. Eight 256GB Crucial M4's and an LSI MegaRAID 9207-8I will give you up to 350,000-369,000 IOPS for ~£1283!

There's also the new Plextor M5 Pro which has around 86,000-94,000 IOPS (~£430 for 512GB).

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

RJohnson91 (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Ryan,

We are always looking to build relationships with good Tech blogs and forums. I'll try to get in touch with you via email if possible to discuss future possibilities.

David Malmborg
    I work with Dell

16. Thanks to davidbrg1 from:

RJohnson91 (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrg1 View Post
    Ryan,

We are always looking to build relationships with good Tech blogs and forums. I'll try to get in touch with you via email if possible to discuss future possibilities.

David Malmborg
    I work with Dell
    Hi David,

That would be fantastic, hopefully my blog is regarded as good enough. My Email is Workingwithit.co.uk@gmail.com .

You can get me direct on that Email (and so can everyone else), or you can send me an IM on Edugeek. I would be very interested in building a good relationship with your blog/forum.

Ryan

Thank Post
    New blog post - WorkingWithIT

It's been 5 months, but I'm going to get it back on track again. Please check up on it!

Ryan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12