+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How do prices in Canada compare to UK? in General; We're due to go to Canada this summer and wondered how the prices of goods compares with those in the ...

Thank Post

How do prices in Canada compare to UK?

We're due to go to Canada this summer and wondered how the prices of goods compares with those in the UK. Whenever we've been to the US we've found the price of trainers, for example, to be much lower than over here. Stores seem to hold a better range of stock, width fittings, half sizes and the like. Any advice welcome.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    We're due to go to Canada this summer and wondered how the prices of goods compares with those in the UK.
    It's probably dependant on which bit of Canada you're going to, the time of year and the sort of thing you're trying to buy, but I found outdoor equipment, especially cold-weather equipment, to be a fair bit cheaper. In parts of eastern and central Canada a jacket rated to minus 20 celcius is pretty much standard-issue for winter time, so those tend to be available quite cheaply. I remember a proper, portable water filtration unit was quite affordable, too, although cooking stoves were different (gas-only, no-one sold meths-burning stoves, although for some reason everyone sold meths, so I just took my own Trangia). I think computer equipment was on a par with prices in the USA - I bought a laptop to bring back with me which I couldn't have afforded over here.

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

beeswax (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    @dhicks pretty much has it spot on - it depends where you go and when. Largely I found that prices weren't all that different. Where some things were cheaper, others were more expensive. You also have to factor in the 'culture' of tipping - it is expected that you tip 15-20% on all meals. So if you eat out, factor this into the budget. It is not really an option dependant on good service, it is more-or-less obligatory. Especially if you eat at your hotel. This can make what seems like a reasonably priced meal (and meals are generally pretty reasonable) turn out to cost a bit more than it seems. A lot of it will depend on whether or not you're going to a main tourist area - Whistler for example is very pricy, but towns like camloops are less so. Are you going French or British side? British Columbia is beautiful, I loved Vancouver. Toronto, Ottowa and Montreal had the worst heatwave I've ever experienced when we were there so it coloured the experience somewhat but there are plenty of tours and boat cruises to do, but be prepared to hear EVERYTHING publically announced in both French and English. It's like being in an airport all the time lol.

A lot of how affordable Canada is depends also on the exchange rate. When we went it was 2 Canadian Dollars to the £, but if the rate is less (or more) this will affect the savings.

It's also worth mentioning that if you are going to the East Coast and plan to do Niagara falls, do the Canadian side - the Canadian side of the falls is MUCH better than the US side, although hotels will try to sell you tours that take you over the border (for some mad reason).

5. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

beeswax (6th June 2012)

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    As the others mentioned, it depends where and when. Though I've found that groceries, clothes and fuel are cheaper in the US, whilst property and cost of living is cheaper in Canada (East Coast). I'm off to New Brunswick in a couple of weeks, and I don't have a return ticket

DT

7. Thanks to DT2 from:

beeswax (6th June 2012)

Thank Post
    We're flying to Calgary, travelling through the Rockies to Vancouver then cruising to Alaska up the Inside Passage. All tips and gratuities are included in the cost of the cruise (though they'll only trade in US Dollars on board), though it's good to know what we'll be expected to tip during the first week as we travel through the Rockies. Whenever we've been to the US we've always taken an extra soft bag to bring back a pile of stuff, mainly clothes and trainers, but it doesn't appear to be worth it for Canada. Thanks for your input.

Thank Post
    Sounds brilliant. When we went we spent a couple of days in Toronto, Ottowa and Montreal respectively then flew over to Vancouver and did a tour through the rockies doing Whistler, Banff, Lake Louise, Camloops etc - it was brilliant. I loved Vancouver so much I was sad to fly back to England.

I'd happily up sticks and move to British Columbia!

Thank Post
    I've been to Montreal last April and it was more expensive than he UK and USA- everything was more expensine, especially the food. Also you have to remember the displayed price isn't the price you pay at bthe till; you have to the federal and local mtaxes and it bumps the price up. The owrst thing is they don't display the price includin g the two taxes, you have to work it out.
    Otherwise it's great City to visit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread