+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, NEW PROJECT!!!!! in General; I agree with much of what has been said above: - it needs to be your idea, your vision; trying ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    I agree with much of what has been said above:

- it needs to be your idea, your vision; trying to please the masses will only make it boring for you and hence reduce the chance of completion (did you know that 90% of games are never finished? And 75% of statistics are made up on the spot to support arguments?)

- that being said, what is your goal? If it's for personal achievement, make it your own all the way (story and gameplay wise I mean, there's no shame in using a game engine). If you're planning to make some money out of it, I'd be looking at a casual, pick up and play game you can distribute on Facebook, Android and/or iOS as that's where the money is for indie developers these days; of course your choice here will affect the language you code in. There's also XNA if you want to code for a platform with more grunt but with a good business model for indie developers.

- don't over-estimate your own ability. Nothing is more frustrating than starting a project and realising you don't have the knowledge to make it the way you want it. A hell of a lot of time and effort goes in to even the simplest of games (if they're well coded), so as a first project I'd keep it simple, give yourself a chance to go through the motions of research, development, debugging and release; it'll put you in a much better place to take on a bigger project (such as an RPG) next time.

- if you suck at graphics, there are sites out there offering royalty free sprites. There's also the option of making "poor" graphics an intrinsic part of the game; just look at Legends of Yore or Minecraft, anybody could create those sprites but as the whole game is made in that style, it looks like a design decision rather than a lack of talent (which of the two it is, we may never know!)

- you don't mention why you want to code this in C++, do you have C++ experience or is it just that like most people starting out in games programming you feel you should? Don't fakll in to that trap, there are many great languages out there for games programming that are much easier to learn than C++ and as long as it's OO (such as Java) you'll pick up the fundamentals. Of course if you already have a good grasp on C++, it is a very efficient language to use.

2. Thanks to LosOjos from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    - you don't mention why you want to code this in C++, do you have C++ experience or is it just that like most people starting out in games programming you feel you should? Don't fakll in to that trap, there are many great languages out there for games programming that are much easier to learn than C++ and as long as it's OO (such as Java) you'll pick up the fundamentals. Of course if you already have a good grasp on C++, it is a very efficient language to use.
    Because, I have the compiler and I'm [sort-of] attempting to learn C++ anyway.

Learn by doing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Because, I have the compiler and I'm [sort-of] attempting to learn C++ anyway.

Learn by doing.
    Fair enough

One thing I forgot to add: make sure you have a robust plan before you write a line of code! There is nothing worse than starting a project with only a vague idea of what you want to achieve, only to constantly have to rewrite parts of it because you've changed your mind on them later down the line. We all change our minds from time to time, but starting without a solid plan for your outcome will mean you spend more time correcting things than adding things and will slow you down massively; this can be a major killer to motivation. Trust me!

5. Thanks to LosOjos from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

Everyone gets +rep [via thanked posts] except @SpreadsheetJockey. Because, that [censored] just aint necessary.
    Alas, I shall continue on my merry way with nary a "thank" to my name. One day, SpreadsheetJockey... one day.

7. Thanks to SpreadsheetJockey from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    You could maybe use Blender to gain access to the 3d modelling and also for the game engine. I don't know what I'm talking about as I haven't a clue, but IIRC the game they released is available to use and tweak. It could maybe allow you to get a grasp of how the system works. There is also a lot of models available for free online as well I think. You could also look at blender cookie for tutorials on how to model characters for games and stuff.

9. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Is the point to :

1. Learn C++
    2. Learn how to write games
    3. Write a cracking game and bask in the glory

?

11. Thanks to pcstru from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Fair enough

One thing I forgot to add: make sure you have a robust plan before you write a line of code! There is nothing worse than starting a project with only a vague idea of what you want to achieve, only to constantly have to rewrite parts of it because you've changed your mind on them later down the line. We all change our minds from time to time, but starting without a solid plan for your outcome will mean you spend more time correcting things than adding things and will slow you down massively; this can be a major killer to motivation. Trust me!
    ^ True facts.

This is why I'm asking things... Mostly.

I may also, slightly, be making it more enjoyable for you guys when I inevitably ask for testers [on a voluntary basis].

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadsheetJockey View Post
    Alas, I shall continue on my merry way with nary a "thank" to my name. One day, SpreadsheetJockey... one day.
    What's that?

"Thank" your post... Well, as you asked so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Is the point to :

1. Learn C++
    2. Learn how to write games
    3. Write a cracking game and bask in the glory

?

Actually it's:

1) Learn C++ on the job [as it were]
    2) Make shoddy game
    3) ???
    4) PROFIT!
    Last edited by X-13; 31st May 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: I carnt speel

13. Thanks to X-13 from:

SpreadsheetJockey (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Make your own minecraft world!

This is something me and a mate have been working on for a couple of months now, already got a 4 major cities, couple of outposts, dungeon/assault areas etc.

What we are hoping for at the end is PGP style/decent exp/level up system. Got a good amount of mods installed, only need a few more to perfect it.

15. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Make your own minecraft world!
    World IN Minecraft... or game LIKE Minecraft?

I'd rather make something fully than use mods in an existing game.

Thank Post
    Sorry yes, world IN minecraft game is already there meaning you can just enjoy your self while you play it or build it.

18. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    The story.......

The donuts in the staff room got contaminated with some kind of mutant virus known only as 'Insert name here' now all the teachers are zombified due to it. This results in the government shutting the whole school down and sealing it off with teachers and pupils inside. Pupils have barricaded themselves into classrooms and other rooms to get away from the teachers and are screaming for help.

Its up to you to save the pupils and work out how the donuts got infected in the first place. On the way you will meet zombie teachers, prefects who help you out and the rare non zombified teachers (They are basically on a diet and did not eat a donut) that give super special items. You will manage to navigate the maze/corridors/rooms with the aid of the IT Tech who has managed to barricade himself in his office and is using his expertise to guide you.

And i dunno.......

20. Thanks to north-ict from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    The story.......

The donuts in the staff room got contaminated with some kind of mutant virus known only as 'Insert name here' now all the teachers are zombified due to it. This results in the government shutting the whole school down and sealing it off with teachers and pupils inside. Pupils have barricaded themselves into classrooms and other rooms to get away from the teachers and are screaming for help.

Its up to you to save the pupils and work out how the donuts got infected in the first place. On the way you will meet zombie teachers, prefects who help you out and the rare non zombified teachers (They are basically on a diet and did not eat a donut) that give super special items. You will manage to navigate the maze/corridors/rooms with the aid of the IT Tech who has managed to barricade himself in his office and is using his expertise to guide you.

And i dunno.......

That sort of sounds like a dream I had once...

One of the teachers took a group of a few [basically the 6 remaining] pupils into the basement, where the boiler is, because it became too cold to stay "up top"...

Everyone devolved into small clans...

Think "Mad Max" meets "The Matrix"... with a bit of "Resident Evil" thrown in.
    Last edited by X-13; 31st May 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Personally, if I'm aiming to learn a new language, I start small and tend to go for throwaway (because you will do things at the beginning in a way you will wish you hadn't) task. I tend to pick physics/particle simulations (pretty pictures) - they are quick to develop, good for learning the language and you get quick gratification in terms of seeing results. For a game I'd suggest single screen, 2D arcade type stuff with an emphasis on simple!

Whether I'd strongly recommend doing a throwaway task would depend on your general programming experience. How much programming have you done, using what languages and how much OOP have you done (i.e. building classes rather than using instances of classes).

[ETA - Example throwaway program (built using processing)].
    Last edited by pcstru; 31st May 2012 at 10:53 AM.

23. Thanks to pcstru from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Top down 2D Space British pirates i'm thinking with edugeek sourced sfx and design approval. Check out Unity if your thinking of going down the 3D route

25. Thanks to bondbill2k2 from:

X-13 (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Space British pirates

Lol wut.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast