+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, One Day Notice Inspections in General; BBC News - Ofsted's one-day school inspection warning Can't wait to see the love for our fellow colleagues flow on ...

Thank Post

One Day Notice Inspections

BBC News - Ofsted's one-day school inspection warning

Can't wait to see the love for our fellow colleagues flow on here once more.

You might consider them to be idiots and deserving everything they get but imagine, DB,ZH,Ric and Dominio giving you a call saying they'll be around tomorrow to inspect your ICT Setup to within an inch of its(your) life and be publishing the results in an Edugeek league table and end up putting you in special measures because of the boot time of your slowest machines (Why didn't you add in 4g of RAM and replace the drive with an SSD? ???)

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    but imagine, DB,ZH,Ric and Dominio giving you a call saying they'll be around tomorrow to inspect your ICT Setup to within an inch of its(your) life and be publishing the results in an Edugeek league table and end up putting you in special measures because of the boot time of your slowest machines (Why didn't you add in 4g of RAM and replace the drive with an SSD? ???)

Come at me, bros!

I actually wouldn't care if IT was inspected. I have no say in these things, so it's not my fault.

Plus, I think that if DB,ZH,Ric and Dominio came to inspect, they'd let people know what the problems are and what should be done to sort it.

Also, no notice inspection > one day notice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I think that if DB,ZH,Ric and Domino came to inspect, they'd let people know what the problems are and what should be done to sort it.
    Chuck in @bossman, @garethedmondson and @plexer as well to cover all angles and they would make a formidable team I reckon - would be happy for them to come and look at my ICT Setup

Thank Post
    +1

If I'm not doing something I shouldn't be then I need to know about. Damn right I'd be nervous but I'd rather be presented with a list of 20 things I need to buck up on and have something to work on and progress towards then run around with a weeks notice to hide those BSOD machines I can't be bothered sorting & to quickly make sure my backup does actually run.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trying to compare an inspection on ICT based on things like boot speed with inspection of the quality of teaching is an obvious troll... Physical provision is dependant on funding and funding is not controlled by us.

Personally, I welcome people to audit my network. Audits mean fresh eyes on things and potentially can highlight things I may have overlooked, and therefore an audit allows me to improve both as a professional and improve the system technically. Win win.

If my head turned round to me and said 'an auditor is coming in tomorrow to look over the system', I'd go 'ok, cool' and that's about it. I wouldn't suddenly have to run around creating documents or covering things up.

I did actually have an ICT security audit at the end of last year, and it has highlighted a stack of things we need to improve (some of my area, some of it SMT's job) such as no fire suppression in the server room, encryption missing from mobile devices, no ICT security policy, lots of domain admin accounts which never expire etc... Great stuff, I can now fix these things and make my network better and more secure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Cool we're all going to see Witch.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think one day notice inspections are an excellent idea, or even better, no notice beyond a call to the head at 8am - "we'll be in at 9am".

However, this should only be done if the inspections themselves are altered to be more realistic. It strikes me as absurd that every lesson is expected to have a full plan when Ofsted arrive. I never see them at any other time of year. Why? Because they're largely unnecessary. Any teacher who has been doing the job for two or three years knows the curriculum, knows the projects they're doing, and knows instinctively whether the students are ahead or behind. They're also flexible in their teaching, so that they can take an unexpected extra ten minutes to explain something that's clearly not making sense. They know that planning homework ahead of time is useless because you don't know where you'll be after an hour of lesson.

So make inspections short notice so you get a more realistic snapshot of the school, with the problem children in attendance instead of out on a fishing trip. But only if you start inspecting on what schools actually need to do, not some unattainable, unsustainable golden dream of teaching that requires days of notice to ramp up to.

8. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

SimpleSi (30th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, what if inspections of eateries were done with several days notice? Every restaurant in the land would be spotless for every inspection, and then as soon as they leave they go back to the same old mess they did before. Instead, they do zero notice inspections and find the problems - and that's why consumers trust the rating given to each eatery by the inspectors.

Thank Post
    would be happy for them to come and look at my ICT Setup
    I'd put good money on the fact that you've not worked in a school that's been put into special measures - what is it that comes before a fall

Si

11. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

sparkeh (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    BBC News - Ofsted's one-day school inspection warning

Can't wait to see the love for our fellow colleagues flow on here once more.

You might consider them to be idiots and deserving everything they get but imagine, DB,ZH,Ric and Dominio giving you a call saying they'll be around tomorrow to inspect your ICT Setup to within an inch of its(your) life and be publishing the results in an Edugeek league table and end up putting you in special measures because of the boot time of your slowest machines (Why didn't you add in 4g of RAM and replace the drive with an SSD? ???)

Si
    I would welcome it

If there are ways I can improve our system etc and not have to pay for the inspection - its actually a good idea! We have made some huge improvements over the years with security/policies - even staff have to sign for the laptop on a double sided form to confirm a bunch of things.

Although I guess an IT system inspection will take longer? We have so much here and so much would need checking..

Thank Post
    @bossman, @garethedmondson and @plexer

What biscuits do you like?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Trying to compare an inspection on ICT based on things like boot speed with inspection of the quality of teaching is an obvious troll... Physical provision is dependant on funding and funding is not controlled by us.

Personally, I welcome people to audit my network. Audits mean fresh eyes on things and potentially can highlight things I may have overlooked, and therefore an audit allows me to improve both as a professional and improve the system technically. Win win.

If my head turned round to me and said 'an auditor is coming in tomorrow to look over the system', I'd go 'ok, cool' and that's about it. I wouldn't suddenly have to run around creating documents or covering things up.

I did actually have an ICT security audit at the end of last year, and it has highlighted a stack of things we need to improve (some of my area, some of it SMT's job) such as no fire suppression in the server room, encryption missing from mobile devices, no ICT security policy, lots of domain admin accounts which never expire etc... Great stuff, I can now fix these things and make my network better and more secure.

Teachers will have the same complaints, not a teachers fault the kids are naughty and don't listen... not a teachers fault that they couldn't get the new fangled gadget that would've aided a lesson. If you work in IT you are partially accountable... whether or not you buy the kit, it's your job to make sure that the kit you do have works as best it can and that your infrastructure is secure - costs nothing to document what you do, costs nothing to put your concerns in an e-mail and it certainly costs nothing to have some pride in your job!

Just to add it's not aimed at localzuk, just replying to his post! I imagine localzuk definitely does do those things...
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 30th May 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Teachers will have the same complaints, not a teachers fault the kids are naughty and don't listen... not a teachers fault that they couldn't get the new fangled gadget that would've aided a lesson. If you work in IT you are partially accountable... whether or not you buy the kit, it's your job to make sure that the kit you do have works as best it can and that your infrastructure is secure - costs nothing to document what you do, costs nothing to put your concerns in an e-mail and it certainly costs nothing to have some pride in your job!
    Again, this isn't right. A teacher is responsible for the actions of the individuals in their classroom. If they let them run riot without recourse, then that is their fault. If they follow the school procedures and things still don't work, then that is the school's fault for bad procedures.

A teacher has little say over the procedures, like we have little say over budget. I could go and ask for £1m a year for my budget, but I'm unlikely to get it. A teacher could ask to bring back caning but is unlikely to get it.

I'm accountable for how I manage the equipment that my budget allows me to buy. If I go out and buy computers for £10k each with 386 processors then that is stupidity on my fault and I deserve to be pulled up for it. But if I am using machines that match the stuff generally available on the market, or am stuck with old equipment from 5 years ago and no budget to replace, that is the school's fault, not mine.

All those things you say at the end, while true are irrelevant to what I was replying to. SimpleSi commented about SSDs and load up times. These are a direct reflection of the physical capabilities of the machines in place, and they are a reflection of the budget and that is what we don't have control over.

16. Thanks to localzuk from:

sparkeh (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    @bossman, @garethedmondson and @plexer

What biscuits do you like?

Custard creams for me please, we'll be there in 10 minutes

Ben

Thank Post
    A teacher has a BIG say in process! They should be actively contributing if they think process is failing, if they don't they deserve to struggle - like i've said voicing concerns is the very least someone can do! This is the same in IT, whether you're a tech or an NM, you have someone you can voice your concerns to.

You complain about 5 year old machines... fair enough, that's old but it's not the end of the world... you need to make your superiors aware of support costs in terms of your time and the frequency of problems, if they are aware - they are at fault. If you sit quietly crying to yourself, pretending all is OK and trying to support these machines whilst your seniors aren't aware, you're at fault... they can argue they aren't the IT people - they didn't know.

My point is you can't hide behind "it's not my fault" and nor can a teacher. As much as they don't make the big decisions, they should be telling when they things aren't running right, SLT/SMTs aren't godlike beings, they make poor decisions - as do NMs.

I definitely don't miss Ofsted... watching teachers fumbling to use SmartBoards after neglecting them for months, then complaining it's your fault... fun
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 30th May 2012 at 09:41 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast