+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, The French Ban SatNavs with Speed Camera Databases! in General; SatNavs - Useful for when you get lost or are in an unfamiliar place.. But then again so is a ...

Thank Post
    SatNavs - Useful for when you get lost or are in an unfamiliar place.. But then again so is a Road Atlas

(wait's for the "You can't use a Road Atlas when driving" cries..)

True, you can't (well if you are seriously stupid and you have a death wish then you can...)

However.. The same can also be said for SatNavs... They should be programmed before you start your journey. If you don't know where you are then you should pull over and consult the SatNav (personally I'd use a Road Atlas as well..)

It is there to aide people in navigating unfamiliar roads - and shouldn't be relied upon to tell you when to turn or what speed you need to be doing - that's why we are behind the wheel..

Yes I have a SatNav app on my phone -Before I set off, I program it with my destination, double check the route with an Atlas or Google Maps (along with print out of the route) When I get in the car, I put my phone on a shelf in my car and leave it alone with the SatNav running and the directions on the seat beside me.
    I then concentrate on my driving paying attention to these strange things called Road Signs that tell me what speed I can do, and where I am going..

In the event I am not sure where I am, I find a safe location to pull over and check my SatNav and printouts

I just wish other people did the same! - I constantly see them fiddling with their SatNav and not watching what they are doing (had one prat this morning who nearly ended up inside an HGV!!)

/rant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I just wish other people did the same! - I constantly see them fiddling with their SatNav and not watching what they are doing (had one prat this morning who nearly ended up inside an HGV!!)
    It's a fair point actually - not the pulling over everytime you need to check it, because if I'm in a three lane one way system approaching a roundabout in a city I don't know, I just want to be able to glance at my GPS and know where I'm going - but given that all satnavs can tell the speed, you think they'd lock out any interaction when they can sense the car moving, beyond a big volume up/down area (say, entire right half of the screen to go louder, entire left half quieter).

Even if I know more or less where I'm going by the road signs, sometimes it's useful to have the GPS up still as a map. I know it's all that's got me through some heavy fog on a winding Lincolnshire B road before. But then, I've wasted the majority of my life playing computer games so I expect a mini map all the time now

Thank Post
    Sorry should've been clearer - I only mean pull over if it involves anything other than a quick glance (like when checking a mirror) or a couple of taps (like changing the radio or heater settings)
    But I have seen people trying to program the damned thing whilst doing 70mph (I only know this as I was behind them and could see them tapping away whilst looking at a bit of paper!)
    Needless to say I increased my gap and changed lane when I got the chance..

Thank Post
    The French are going to enforce Mway speeds using toll booths. You buy a ticket at Le Harve and arrive too soon at the Paris exit... "That will be 1000 please m'suir"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    The AA site recommends contacting the car manufacturer for advice if you have a fitted satnav. I've sent Nissan an email, so it will be iteresting to see if I get a reply.
    I can turn off speed camera notifications in my Nissan Qashqai (Tekna) but is that enough to satisfiy the requirement? I'm travelling through France at the weekend so it's of interest.

<edit> Just noticed the previous post about the AA saying it's enough </edit>

HBJB
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 30th May 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    The French are going to enforce Mway speeds using toll booths. You buy a ticket at Le Harve and arrive too soon at the Paris exit... "That will be €1000 please m'suir"
    For godsakes don't let the UK Gov't find out about this one!!

Thank Post
    Another interesting snippet for those planning to drive through this godforsaken place this summer is that from 01st July it is compulsory for you to carry your own breathalyser kit, this is also fine enforceable from November 2012

Are they completely nuts?

And Hi Vis Jackets! Although I can understand those when your struggling to change a tyre on the Autoroute.
    Last edited by m25man; 3rd June 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    It's a fair point actually - not the pulling over everytime you need to check it, because if I'm in a three lane one way system approaching a roundabout in a city I don't know, I just want to be able to glance at my GPS and know where I'm going - but given that all satnavs can tell the speed, you think they'd lock out any interaction when they can sense the car moving, beyond a big volume up/down area (say, entire right half of the screen to go louder, entire left half quieter).

Even if I know more or less where I'm going by the road signs, sometimes it's useful to have the GPS up still as a map. I know it's all that's got me through some heavy fog on a winding Lincolnshire B road before. But then, I've wasted the majority of my life playing computer games so I expect a mini map all the time now
    Aye.

Having used a sat nav over a printed out google or an atlas I find a sat nav far better then the two. Having to pull over often is not a good idea when some times you have to pull over in a safe spot. sat navs though like many gadgets in the car could cause an accident but lets face it, does take common sense to know when a good time to turn the volume up is e.g not when its chucking it down, fog or heavy traffic. Then again sitting there fiddling or watching your sat nav over the road is just as bad as sitting there watching your speed. Its also why I like my cruise control stick it at a set speed aka 30 and leave it. Its also a well known fact that a good portion of people who complain about others driving, or fiddling etc etc have probably done the exact same thing. Could be from swapping CD's, checking the radio, shouting at the kids in the car or pulling your wallet out to make sure you got for petrol.

I certainly am not afraid to say I am guilty of the above.

Still I would always prefer my sat nav which may not be perfect it certainly is helpful.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234