+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53
General Chat Thread, The French Ban SatNavs with Speed Camera Databases! in General; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Apparently there is a brilliant trick for beating speed cameras in every country. First you look ...
  1. #16
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,604
    Thank Post
    154
    Thanked 205 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Apparently there is a brilliant trick for beating speed cameras in every country.

    First you look at the road signs which tell you the maximum speed you can travel at.
    Next you look at the instrument panel to find the bit that tells you the speed you are traveling at.
    Finally, you make sure you use the pedals that make cars go faster or slower in such a way that you don't go faster than the speed limit.

    I know ... it is an amazing concept and I am so surprised that more isn't said about it instead of people talking about tools used to spot cameras so you don't get caught speeding.

    Just saying!
    There's an amazing way to run someone over as well...

    - check speed limit constantly for sneaky changes in limit, temporary roadworks etc
    - stare constantly at speedometer to make sure you haven't gone 2mph over
    - miss car \ child \ donkey walking out in front of you
    - clear entrails from front grille, replace front bumper

    I've always wondered why cars don't have an extra instrument in the dash that knows the limit of each road and changes your dials colour \ image on screen if you go over. Just seen one or two that have started doing it now, one for the inventions thread maybe

    Then again as we all know, speed cameras are naff all to do with safety but just how much more Governments can extract from motorists. Personally I prefer the Clarkson method of dealing with Gatsos... nothing a good blast with a rocket launcher can't fix
    Last edited by gshaw; 29th May 2012 at 12:28 PM.

  2. Thanks to gshaw from:

    GrumbleDook (29th May 2012)

  3. #17
    gtg93's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thank Post
    142
    Thanked 34 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    I was reading about this a few weeks ago - they've also introduced in the law that all vehicles must carry a breathaliser kit.

    According to the AA, disabling the alerts on your SAT NAV is enough to comply with the new law. This is also the law in most
    EU countries too now.

    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Speed camera databases aren't really needed in France as they post a sign (not a fake one like in the uk) so there will be a camera and its not hidden, it will be on either side of the road.
    From what I read previously, they're also removing ALL speed camera warning signs.




    EDIT:
    Link to the AA page I mentioned
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...in-france.html
    &
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...equipment.html
    Last edited by gtg93; 29th May 2012 at 12:37 PM.

  4. #18
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,604
    Thank Post
    154
    Thanked 205 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    I was reading about this a few weeks ago - they've also introduced in the law that all vehicles must carry a breathaliser kit.
    According to the AA, disabling the alerts on your SAT NAV is enough to comply with the new law. This is also the law in most
    Simple solution for IT geeks, change the bitmaps on your Tomtom etc to pictures of trees or something equally stealthy so anyone looking at it won't know the alerts are still on

  5. Thanks to gshaw from:

    gtg93 (29th May 2012)

  6. #19


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,210
    Thank Post
    218
    Thanked 812 Times in 694 Posts
    Rep Power
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    There's an amazing way to run someone over as well...

    - check speed limit constantly for sneaky changes in limit, temporary roadworks etc
    - stare constantly at speedometer to make sure you haven't gone 2mph over
    - miss car \ child \ donkey walking out in front of you
    - clear entrails from front grille, replace front bumper

    I've always wondered why cars don't have an extra instrument in the dash that knows the limit of each road and changes your dials colour \ image on screen if you go over. Just seen one or two that have started doing it now, one for the inventions thread maybe

    Then again as we all know, speed cameras are naff all to do with safety but just how much more Governments can extract from motorists. Personally I prefer the Clarkson method of dealing with Gatsos... nothing a good blast with a rocket launcher can't fix
    there are also odd cars around that have the speed on a hud in the windscreen that is in theory a good idea (and the focus at least top models) "reads speed signs" and warns you

  7. #20

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I got my first speeding ticket a week after I passed my test, driving back from a hospital at around midnight I missed the 40 sign as it wasn't illuminated and I hadn't been driving long enough to be familiar with the road. Thought it was still a 60 and got caught doing 52

    I would rather all speed cameras be removed and replaced with Tailgating Cameras instead, though.
    If the sign was not properly placed or properly illuminated then contest it.

    It is catch 22. If we trusted people to stay in the limit then the money spent on cameras, hospitals dealing with injuries which are worse, etc could be spent on better lighting and signage.

  8. #21

    PICNIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Zooniverse
    Posts
    286
    Thank Post
    179
    Thanked 84 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    From what I read previously, they're also removing ALL speed camera warning signs.
    Surely a speed limit sign is enough?

  9. #22

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    There's an amazing way to run someone over as well...

    - check speed limit constantly for sneaky changes in limit, temporary roadworks etc
    - stare constantly at speedometer to make sure you haven't gone 2mph over
    - miss car \ child \ donkey walking out in front of you
    - clear entrails from front grille, replace front bumper

    I've always wondered why cars don't have an extra instrument in the dash that knows the limit of each road and changes your dials colour \ image on screen if you go over. Just seen one or two that have started doing it now, one for the inventions thread maybe

    Then again as we all know, speed cameras are naff all to do with safety but just how much more Governments can extract from motorists. Personally I prefer the Clarkson method of dealing with Gatsos... nothing a good blast with a rocket launcher can't fix
    And that is the wonderful thing about the next part of the plan ... not only do you not speed but by driving *below* the speed limit (by 2-3 mph is a good idea) then you can use experience and judgement, combined with the occasional glimpse at the speedo, to decide if you are going that bit too fast.

    I do agree that constantly looking at something other than the road something that needs to be avoided (anyone would think this is an area that could be covered with lessons or a test or something) ... and one of the useful things about satnavs is that the can often be set with speed warning alarms. from what I have seen most people tend to set them (if they do set them) will have it want them if going several mph over the limit ... why not do it for if you are 1 mph below the limit? That way you don't go over.

    Drive to a few mph below the limit ... not to the limit.

    Just saying.

  10. #23

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,467
    Thank Post
    750
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    45
    Rep Power
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    If the sign was not properly placed or properly illuminated then contest it.
    This was about a decade ago now so probably not worth it now tbh (although I could still do with the 60 back)

    I'm still of the opinion that speed is never a factor, simply the misapplication of speed and poor driving. Speed is sometimes an indicator of poor/aggressive driving, but it is an effect, not necessarily a cause. Once upon a time speed limits were set based on the 85th percentile - that is, the limit was what 85% of people drove at or under when left to their own devices, as that was what the road allowed. Sadly that has been discarded recently for whatever reason; conspiratorially, in order to give an appearance of "doing something" and improve the profitability of speed cameras, but I couldn't say. As a result there's now entire journeys where the speed limits are unnecessarily restricting - Skegness to Boston, for example, has no destricted zones anymore, in a 23 mile journey. Ten years ago it had a number of 40s going through villages and the rest was at the national speed limit, with the journey taking maybe 40 minutes. Now it's over an hour because of an artificial limit. As far as I'm aware, it's not made much difference either - the problem is a poor quality road and bad driver judgement wrt blind corners (somewhat of a Lincolnshire affliction, I fear).

    Driver education is the only way to properly lower the risks on the roads. Deterrents clearly don't work - how many people do you see talking on mobiles still? - and technical solutions can never properly mitigate human stupidity. A proper driving test, though, that taught driving skills not test-passing skills, followed up with an advanced course and regular re-testing, would do much more than speed cameras ever have.

    The government'd even be making money out of it still, and providing employment with the required expansion at test centres. It'd cause too much uproar though. Much easier to sticky plaster the problem with big yellow boxes.

  11. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

    GrumbleDook (29th May 2012)

  12. #24

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,720
    Thank Post
    1,451
    Thanked 580 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    165
    @GD
    I thought about adding fixed cams to my speedsign database but then realised it was redundant - if I'm speeding and ignoring my flashing red light and beeping noise, I'm probably not going to notice any other warnings either

    As you say, removal of right foot from the pedal is the way forward - I wonder if you could get it trending on twitter

    Si

  13. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

    GrumbleDook (29th May 2012)

  14. #25

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,720
    Thank Post
    1,451
    Thanked 580 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    165
    've always wondered why cars don't have an extra instrument in the dash that knows the limit of each road and changes your dials colour \ image on screen if you go over
    I've written an android app that does this.
    Problems is I don't know of any public databases that have this information in them.

    I'm currently using a combination of recording speedsigns when I'm a passenger and feeding info into OpenStreetmap and then parsing the data to produce .kml files which my app reads.

    Of course, when the highways dept go on a Jihad, like they've done for the past month, and blanket pepper 20MPH all over Souths Lancs (and throw a few National Speed Limit to 40MPH changes as well) then its a full time job keeping up withthe database changes!

    Si
    But if anyone fancies a change in hobby from trainspotting , please send me your kml files and I'll add them in (or if your REAL geeky) try getting to grips with JOSM and put them in directly yourself

    Si

  15. #26
    nicholab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,411
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    50
    I never under stood what the French and other Europeans put up with such stupid laws like letting criminals vote and having to having every your rescue kit in your car.

  16. #27


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,488
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    The government'd even be making money out of it still, and providing employment with the required expansion at test centres. It'd cause too much uproar though. Much easier to sticky plaster the problem with big yellow boxes.
    RTA's have reduced over the last 10 years. Since few seem to think that speed cameras are effective, what DO they think is driving down the number of accidents (in all fatal/serious/slight categories)?

    It's often said that speed cameras are a revenue generating mechanism, raising over 120million a year (2003). Estimates of the cost of road traffic accidents run to around 15 billion. While speeding fines do not directly mitigate accident costs, overall the cost of accidents is far in excess of revenue generated by speed cameras. Fatal accidents require detailed investigation by specialist assessors and out of about ~60 odd factors which can be cited, excess speed (~30%) is by far the most frequent. So even if we just take a portion of the costs of accidents, the revenue raised by speed cameras doesn't seem to cover a fraction of the accidents that are caused by excess speed.

    So sticky plaster big yellow boxes? Maybe - but perhaps only because there are far too few of them.

  17. #28

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    This was about a decade ago now so probably not worth it now tbh (although I could still do with the 60 back)

    I'm still of the opinion that speed is never a factor, simply the misapplication of speed and poor driving. Speed is sometimes an indicator of poor/aggressive driving, but it is an effect, not necessarily a cause. Once upon a time speed limits were set based on the 85th percentile - that is, the limit was what 85% of people drove at or under when left to their own devices, as that was what the road allowed. Sadly that has been discarded recently for whatever reason; conspiratorially, in order to give an appearance of "doing something" and improve the profitability of speed cameras, but I couldn't say. As a result there's now entire journeys where the speed limits are unnecessarily restricting - Skegness to Boston, for example, has no destricted zones anymore, in a 23 mile journey. Ten years ago it had a number of 40s going through villages and the rest was at the national speed limit, with the journey taking maybe 40 minutes. Now it's over an hour because of an artificial limit. As far as I'm aware, it's not made much difference either - the problem is a poor quality road and bad driver judgement wrt blind corners (somewhat of a Lincolnshire affliction, I fear).

    Driver education is the only way to properly lower the risks on the roads. Deterrents clearly don't work - how many people do you see talking on mobiles still? - and technical solutions can never properly mitigate human stupidity. A proper driving test, though, that taught driving skills not test-passing skills, followed up with an advanced course and regular re-testing, would do much more than speed cameras ever have.

    The government'd even be making money out of it still, and providing employment with the required expansion at test centres. It'd cause too much uproar though. Much easier to sticky plaster the problem with big yellow boxes.
    I have been on interview panel a few years ago where an applicant (who might also have been approached to drive the school minibus) did mention that he had previous driving ban due to speeding offences and had gone through a serious of retraining as a result. His frustration with the stupidity of the ban was obvious but we did have to say that they fact that the ban was complete, that he had done a lot of work to change and had a glowing reference from the local constabulary on the charitable work he was doing around speed awareness course ... that was what we were interested in.

    Afterwards he did explain though that 9 points had been on the same day, on the same stretch of road and was down to a change in the restrictions that were poorly signed (I've been along the road and would heartily agree) which would now be challenged and the points / fines dropped (as they were on many occasions and the signage has now changed).

    Some of the decisions do seem very arbitrary but having spoken to a number of police and planners now I know that it tends to be for a variety of reasons ... some of them are down to reducing either the risk of incidents (speed is a factor), the severity of injuries / risk of fatalities (speed is a factor), to attempting to change / shape driving habits (create a sense of needing to be more aware of changes to the road and environment) or due to public requirement (noise / pollution / conservation / etc).

    There are roads where the risk when driving at speed is not as an important factor as it is on other areas. Examples would be motorways, and we can see from other countries where the limit can be flexible enough so that higher speeds can be used at no increase in risk / incidents. Within the UK factor include reaction speed and distance between vehicles. Let's face it ... people drive too close and that is one of the problems. People then take the motorway driving style and apply it to most other roads ... it is not just Lincolnshire (though the quality of roads there doesn't help). Impatience, arrogance, the divine right to own the road ... you know the sort of thing I am getting at ... these are also problems. Talking with family, friends, police and others in places like Ireland, Australia, parts of France, Germany and Belgium ... they all seem to say there is a more friendly and positive attitude to other drivers ...

    And yes ... re-testing ... please ... as soon as possible ...

  18. #29


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,488
    Thank Post
    198
    Thanked 629 Times in 481 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Talking with family, friends, police and others in places like Ireland, Australia, parts of France, Germany and Belgium ... they all seem to say there is a more friendly and positive attitude to other drivers ...
    And yet, they have a worse record for safety.

    (p25 of the link)

  19. #30

    SimpleSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    5,720
    Thank Post
    1,451
    Thanked 580 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    165
    Just to fully clarify my speeding position - some speed limits have been introduced to crack nuts at a lower cost - e.g reduce whole 3 mile stretch of road to 40MPH because it would be too expensive to properly hightlight/control the junction where incidents take place.

    This causes drivers frustration as they know the stretch of road they are on doesn't warrant the restriction and therefore end up becoming criminals at times because they are using their brains. (And if new to the areas - get no warning of the incident prone areas.

    On a personal note (if you remember my daughter was caught doing 55 in a 30 - but 200 metres from the NS sign!) is that she pleaded guilty but stated the above and was treated very reasonably by the magistrates (35 day ban - 50 fine - no points)

    Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The French ban tomato sauce from primary schools!
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th October 2011, 09:44 AM
  2. [News] New speed camera - you have been warned...
    By Oops_my_bad in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th April 2008, 07:05 PM
  3. Speed Camera Revenge
    By eduabncs in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17th February 2007, 04:10 PM
  4. What the devil's wrong with IE?
    By indiegirl in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th April 2006, 02:54 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th February 2006, 03:02 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •