+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Renewable Energy in Schools in General; Originally Posted by mrforgetful It would be more worthwhile environmentally to get the local kids to walk to school or ...
    Thank Post

Re: Renewable Energy in Schools

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    It would be more worthwhile environmentally to get the local kids to walk to school or use the bus instead of getting mummy or daddy to drive them.
    Absolutey right - most of our other initiatives are more impacting than this.

But it does at least act as a visual reminder of the responsibility of doing your bit.

This is why the 100% funding is important!

Thank Post

Oh - and it is a handy rain shelter too!

Thank Post

How about just switching the electricity supplier for the school to one which uses only renewably-sourced energy? No planning permission, no expense, no hassle.

Or did you want something visible?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    This is why the 100% funding is important!
    I don't want my tax money wasted on things that have no benefit. That government part of that could buy my grandad (or one of the many other sufferers) those Alzheimer's pills of 2 years.

Thank Post

With us being a VERY rural school walking is not an option we run buses from all major towns and have a few mini buses that do runs to smaller villages and the like.

I wont go into the exact figures but being a boarding school our electric bill is massive... i mean really massive...

I know these things will come with a large outlay in capital but we have it sat waiting to be used and the drop in annual cost is more appealing to our bursar.

Thank Post

Some of you seem to be under the misunderstanding that this was something I was involved in.

From what I understand we were approached with the idea and we probably assumed it would make more of a difference than it appears to from that link - which, by the way, I only found and read for the first time last night. Not even sure if anyone at the school is aware of the figures quoted in this.

If you think about it, us having a water heater that only costs £30 per year in electric - we must be doing something right, even if it is only buying efficient boilers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol what a waste of time.

Using the figures on that page, even been optimistic it will take at least 48 years to recoup the costs and in that time will give out 33tones less emissions.

It would be more worthwhile environmentally to get the local kids to walk to school or use the bus instead of getting mummy or daddy to drive them.
    Have you never heard the old saying 'every little helps'? Saying it is a waste of money or a waste of time is, to be quite frank, ignorant and completely misses the point. If everyone did this, we would reduce co2 production dramatically - sometimes things aren't all to do with money... There are around 32000 schools in the uk, if each one installed an array that size, we would reduce the co2 footprint of the country by 1.056 million tonnes a year.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    lol what a waste of time.

Using the figures on that page, even been optimistic it will take at least 48 years to recoup the costs and in that time will give out 33tones less emissions.

Have you never heard the old saying 'every little helps'? Saying it is a waste of money or a waste of time is, to be quite frank, ignorant and completely misses the point. If everyone did this, we would reduce co2 production dramatically - sometimes things aren't all to do with money... There are around 32000 schools in the uk, if each one installed an array that size, we would reduce the co2 footprint of the country by 1.056 million tonnes a year.
    I'd rather everyone turn their appliances off instead of using Standby, that's free.

I'm just not a big taker of the energy saving drive, sure do your bit but Human Created Global Warming? Not buying it.

Having said that I do drive a diesel, so I'm low in CO2 there. Sure I produce more gases that kill and cause cancer, but I save money so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. I just drive faster to get away from the fumes

Thank Post

Saving the earth isn't as important as saving pounds to be honest... i am not fooling my self into thinking we are saving the world just saving some cash to be spent on my payrise

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd rather everyone turn their appliances off instead of using Standby, that's free.
    It's gonna take more than turning things off standby to reduce our co2 output - but that is something everyone can do *as well*.

I'm just not a big taker of the energy saving drive, sure do your bit but Human Created Global Warming? Not buying it.
    Hello Jeremy I can see your point, but I disagree. We didn't create global warming, that would be egotistical to think. What we have done is speed up the process of global warming via our emissions.

Having said that I do drive a diesel, so I'm low in CO2 there. Sure I produce more gases that kill and cause cancer, but I save money so it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. I just drive faster to get away from the fumes
    Hmm... Maybe you aren't Jeremy afterall. I take the 'not owning a car' option there.

My outlook on it is - we can comfortably live and work by doing things like turning off equipment, using energy efficient equipment, using public transport (not the pendalino trains though, they're just as bad as cars in terms of emissions), installing some form of personal renewable energy source and being with a decent power company. These are very minor things for the average person and won't cost them more than a couple of percent of their income per year - as most of the initial costs are offset by savings due to running.

Thank Post

My outlook on it is - we can comfortably live and work by doing things like turning off equipment, using energy efficient equipment, using public transport (not the pendalino trains though, they're just as bad as cars in terms of emissions), installing some form of personal renewable energy source and being with a decent power company. These are very minor things for the average person and won't cost them more than a couple of percent of their income per year - as most of the initial costs are offset by savings due to running.
    I agree and I do the small things, not having a car though? Not going that far. I like the convenience and I like my day trips to Whitby, on the train it takes 8 hours lol.

The Earth has always had natural ups and downs, it's still heating up from the last Ice Age. It's speeded up but it look at the previous times and it always does.

Maybe the Government's keen because it can charge us more taxes...hey who called me a cynic?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tax what? The production of electricity via our own equipment? I don't see what can be taxed...

Thank Post

Tax what? The production of electricity via our own equipment? I don't see what can be taxed...
    Petrol.

Thank Post

Hello Jeremy I can see your point, but I disagree. We didn't create global warming, that would be egotistical to think. What we have done is speed up the process of global warming via our emissions.
    There are other theories regarding the causes of Global Warming:

Quote Originally Posted by http://viewzone.com/milkyway.html
    Implications in Global Warming?

It has been postulated that this is the real reason for both global warming since higher energy levels of the Milky Way are almost certain to cause our Sun to burn hotter and emit higher energies. Indeed, temperatures have been seen to rise on virtually all the planets in our system. This seems quite apart from any local phenomenon like greenhouse gases etc.
    Not that the quote makes a great deal of sense without reading the link ^^;

Thank Post

My outlook on it is - we can comfortably live and work by doing things like ... using public transport.
    I would love to ditch my car and use public transport rather than sit in traffic queues, however the cost of public transport in Reading where I live is ridiculous.

£1.50 flat fare regardless of where you're going or how far it is (£2.50 return though) and nearly all buses run to the town centre and back, so most journeys involve two buses in each direction. That means that my daily bus ride to work would cost a fiver!! You can buy passes which are much cheaper, but even that would set me back nearly £600 per year, £1200 when you factor in my wife's journey to work too. Our TOTAL monthly expenditure on petrol is less than the cost of a one-month bus pass!

As the passes are all for a given period and not x many trips (as they were where I used to live) they are useless for the occasional trips into town on a Saturday or whatever. So for those journeys, my wife and I must each buy a £2.50 return (plus fares for any children) - we could park in the city centre multi-storey for something like 4 hours for the same money!

If the Government/local council want us to use public transport, they have to make it viable.

Rant over!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast