+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Garden 2012 in General; Oh @ elsiegee40 - you've just reminded me to order nematodes for slugs and ants. Gareth...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh @elsiegee40 - you've just reminded me to order nematodes for slugs and ants.

Gareth

2. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

elsiegee40 (26th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Yes they are tomatoes. I use these Please enable your cookies which protects him a bit.
    I'm tempted to try some, do they work?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @pcstru - I like to think so. I'll take a photo later to show how we do it.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,643 Posts
    Oh @elsiegee40 - you've just reminded me to order nematodes for slugs and ants.

Gareth
    Hmmm ant nemotodes... I haven't used those, but they might be worth getting for my lawn.

I could do with them out front to stop them up-rooting the block paving of our drive, but it's very hot and dry (south facing) and I don't think they'd survive. Might be worth a try if I get them for the back.

Thank Post
    @pcstru - I like to think so. I'll take a photo later to show how we do it.
    So how did it go this year? My tomatoes took over my greenhouse with wild enthusiasm, then in about the space of two weeks, blight took all but one plant. Quite depressing really. Salads did well but garden veg was a bit disappointing (at least so far) with some brutally misshapen carrots. All in all, pretty grim.

I have just ordered James Wong's home-grown revolution, which I'm hoping will inspire me to get away from the usual garden suspects and start growing something more unusual and worthwhile - perhaps my harvest next September will look like This (yea, right!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So how did it go this year? My tomatoes took over my greenhouse with wild enthusiasm, then in about the space of two weeks, blight took all but one plant. Quite depressing really. Salads did well but garden veg was a bit disappointing (at least so far) with some brutally misshapen carrots. All in all, pretty grim.

I have just ordered James Wong's home-grown revolution, which I'm hoping will inspire me to get away from the usual garden suspects and start growing something more unusual and worthwhile - perhaps my harvest next September will look like This (yea, right!).
    The weather this year was terrible for our garden.
    Fruit literally rotting on the branch due to the excesive rain at the wrong time. (apples, cherries, pears and plums)
    A severe late frost all but wiped out the peach blossom.
    An extremely unusual failure to germinate on the part of the peas, beans and mange tout.
    A small spurt of sun to bring the grapes along and then a total failure to follow up with anythign more than a few hours of sun meant lots of small unripe bunches.
    Cucumbers both inside and outside failing.

and SO MANY SLUGS!! At one point I had what I like to call Arboreal Snails. One evening I went out and plucked 6 of the blighters out of the upper branches of our apple tree.
    I need to nematode again next year as we skipped it this year and coupled with the weather it was a proper nightmare.

The only "success" stories were the 5 pounds or so of Tomatoes my greenhouse did deliver (this has now been converted into a few jars of homemade pasta sauce) and the bizarrely successful despite everything golden raspberry canes, which have been delivering fruit solidly for about 2 months.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this year could best be summed up as a Rhubarb Year. Was cropping that well into July, got two batches of homebrew rhubarb wine on the go now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oooh @pcstru that's such a wildlife friendly garden! I love it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Garden 2012

John...if possible. Keep a duck or a chicken. They'll demolish those slugs and snails no problem. Our neighbours duck has free reign in our garden and our harvest has been decent because there's been no critters going at our fruit and veg.

Thank Post
    So here is a video of the allotment.

12. Thanks to jedmondson from:

pcstru (4th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Me too. Tomatoes didn't fantastic last year (but great the year before) so hoped for better this year, but was a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped to skin, dice and freeze lots of tomatoes as replacement for tinned tomatoes - lovely in a lasagna.

Got loads of pepper plants germinated and growing this year, but just not enough sun to get any actual peppers
    Outside lettuce did okay and charlotte potatoes did fairly well (in potato bags), but caterpillars devastated my cabbage, broccoli and Brussels.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    We moved here two years ago and have put in a vegetable plot measuring around 4' x 20'. It took 3 sowings of peas before I got any to germinate. Carrots were a dismal failure, poor germination and small roots. I don't think I will bother with them next year. Tried celery, they ended up like twigs and about as tough! Star performers were runner beans, tomatoes in the greenhouse, courgettes, beetroot, onions and garlic. The garlic was an experiment that I will definitely try again. Have tried leeks for two years now, but I can't get them much bigger than spring onions. In fact, I think the spring onions were bigger! Any tips welcome! Lettuce - little gems and lollo rosso will definitely be back next year.

Anyone got any tips for what I can put in now to take us through to Spring? The garden is just about the only thing that keeps me sane after work. I love it! Would so love to keep chicks, but the other half dotes on his lawn....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked the PH level of your soil? If you have a fish tank, use the water from there to water your crops as it is full of nitrates and minerals which help promote healthy growth.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeHubb View Post
    Anyone got any tips for what I can put in now to take us through to Spring?
    Top-10-vegetables-to-grow-over-winter. Or Other Ideas!.

The garden is just about the only thing that keeps me sane after work. I love it! Would so love to keep chicks, but the other half dotes on his lawn....
    Chickens can tolerate very little space (I'm not suggesting battery conditions but you don't need that much to keep them healthy and happy). The small huts are OK for a few birds although best if they can be moved onto different ground every so often (4-6 months). Huts with the coop raised above the ground not only give more space for the birds but are more vermin proof). Our coop is about 1mx1m ground space. I built a larger run for them which they use during the day but they are pampered birds who live a life of luxury - the coop space would be fine for them. I do let them out into the garden - but usually only when I'm pottering around.

Thank Post
    @jedmondson - Brilliant - Thanks for sharing that. Almost wish I had an allotment but I know it would be far to much work for me.
    @Little-Miss - That was probably the best it looked all year! Unfortunately work on the 'man cave' is wreaking havock over a large swathe of garden.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast