+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
General Chat Thread, Death of email? in General; Is email dying? The death of email | Analysis | Features | PC Pro Should I worry about providing email ...
  1. #1

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150

    Death of email?

    Is email dying?

    The death of email | Analysis | Features | PC Pro

    Should I worry about providing email for students in the future or just provide it for staff?

  2. #2

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    394
    Email won't die, but it's use will change. The biggest change is already happening, as it shifts from a messaging system to a notification system - i.e. only used by automated systems. Until there is a single open system to replace it as a notification medium, it will remain.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,036
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 187 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    Don't get it. you can get spam SMS and instant messages, and email is a good way to keep everything organised and backed up.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    530
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Email died the day Microsoft invented top posting. All hail google wave.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    I think school kids aren't that interested in using school e-mail. The larger issue (discussed seriously in several places now) is the short messages and increasingly short attention spans re. pretty much any issue you care to mention. Ideas *that matter* tend to take quite a bit of text to explain/debate and very few can be done & dusted within 24 hours.

    You see this so often nowadays: Something[tm] emerges.. twitter burns with howls of shallow outrage.. tomorrow the issue is the still there, but the protestors are not.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,774
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    It's different for Atos CEO, Thierry Breton. He has his own personal secretary to handle his e-mail and other messages! As the following article states, ditching e-mail doesn't remove the interruptions.

    Switching from one kind of interruption to another doesn't solve the problem—and indeed, a conscientious, well thought-out e-mail that included a number of points or questions might be less of a distraction that a regular barrage of instant messages.

    Of course, for Breton the decision to abandon internal e-mail was easier than it is for most: Breton has a secretary. (Source)

  7. #7

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,403
    Thank Post
    637
    Thanked 961 Times in 661 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    319
    You have 138 unread messages – and you’ve been away from your desk for only two hours.
    Then you've signed up for too much rubbish or your filters aren't effective enough. I'm lucky if I receive 10 messages a day between personal and work. Even less that need actioning.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Just in the last six months our email usage has tailed off.

    Death of email?-screenshot-2012-05-23-19-07-44.png

  9. #9

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,084
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Yeap, email is totally dead, just like postal mail and faxes don't exist anymore... oh, wait.

    It will be sticking around for a while if just from user and business process inertia.

  10. #10


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,774
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Is email dying?
    For the answer, see Betteridge's Law of Headlines.

  11. #11

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,655
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Email replaced memos in business. Memos are a necessary aspect of any business as it allows different people to pass information between each other to be actioned. Spewing instant messages or text messages at someone is not the same - they are not as persistent.

    Not to mention, the idea that email disrupts peoples working day is nonsense. If people are allowing email to be disruptive, then they need to change the way they work. If I'm busy doing something, I ignore the phone and ignore my email. The only thing that will interrupt me is either an urgent helpdesk ticket or someone at the door in a panic. Everything else can wait.

    Saying that email is dead is like saying that phone calls are dying out, or that trains will be the death of cars. Its nonsensical drivel peddled by people more interested in selling stories than actually looking at how people work.

  12. #12


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Email replaced memos in business. Memos are a necessary aspect of any business as it allows different people to pass information between each other to be actioned. Spewing instant messages or text messages at someone is not the same - they are not as persistent.
    The situation you describe is exactly the same attitude people had to email replacing memos ! ie "Spewing email messages at someone is not the same - they are not as persistent [as a memo]."
    I'm quite happy with people sending me notes via chat or SMS, I have a record and its fine. I don't think it will kill email for a long while. But I understand why kids don't think in the same way that we do as well.

  13. #13

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    I think the article itself is interesting although I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion; it's a bit like the so called paperless office we were supposed to be moving towards.

    It did start me wondering; I need to provision a new email service & confess I had been blinkered in thinking I needed to look at providing a service for all staff & every student. Staff email is a given at present, we need it and I don't see it being replaced or superceded anytime soon. I wonder if there is any value in providing am email account for every student though; I know that the current ICT curriculum teaches students about email, but I am wondering if it will be relevant in the future? I have asked the ICT teaching staff for their views.

    I may end up providing a robust industrial strength email service for staff but look at something more lightweight for students who need it to support the curriculum rather than give all students access automatically.

  14. #14

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,655
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I think the article itself is interesting although I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion; it's a bit like the so called paperless office we were supposed to be moving towards.

    It did start me wondering; I need to provision a new email service & confess I had been blinkered in thinking I needed to look at providing a service for all staff & every student. Staff email is a given at present, we need it and I don't see it being replaced or superceded anytime soon. I wonder if there is any value in providing am email account for every student though; I know that the current ICT curriculum teaches students about email, but I am wondering if it will be relevant in the future? I have asked the ICT teaching staff for their views.

    I may end up providing a robust industrial strength email service for staff but look at something more lightweight for students who need it to support the curriculum rather than give all students access automatically.
    Why not just use Google Apps for the lot - its free?

  15. #15

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,121
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm quite happy with people sending me notes via chat or SMS, I have a record and its fine. I don't think it will kill email for a long while. But I understand why kids don't think in the same way that we do as well.
    But SMS messages don't really carry a trail like emails do. At least, not one that you can easily access. If I said to you fetch me an email from 12th May you could probably find it a lot quicker than you could an SMS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Death of a computer suite
    By DMcCoy in forum Mac
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 30th May 2011, 02:21 PM
  2. Death of a switch?
    By ndavies in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th March 2010, 07:27 PM
  3. Moodle: Global Hiding of Emails?
    By Tim_S in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th January 2010, 01:54 PM
  4. [Video] The death of Jim Davidson
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st August 2009, 07:54 PM
  5. Change of email system - free options?
    By reggiep in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th September 2008, 09:44 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •