+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What inventions have you come up with but can't be bothered to make? in General; I figure that at this point in my life, any hope of me gaining sufficient engineering skills to prototype, develop ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb What inventions have you come up with but can't be bothered to make?

I figure that at this point in my life, any hope of me gaining sufficient engineering skills to prototype, develop and sell these ideas is long since gone, so I may as well make a halfway entertaining forum thread about it instead.

I was having a think earlier while I pondered a room refurb that it would be really handy if retractable power leads existed, or even better... elastic power leads. Imagine a lead half a metre long that can stretch to two metres when necessary. It'd have to be a stretch-and-stay sort of thing, like pulling a blob of blu tac apart, rather than actually elastic, but the cable clutter it could save on would be incredible - cable ties never seem neat enough and then people just end up wanting to stretch the lead that bit further than you've allowed for. The only problem is that I'd need to develop some kind of miracle conductor that could pass electricity just as well at 400% of its length as it could scrunched up, but that aside, y'know, someone should get on this.

That brings my tally of Inventions-I'll-Never-Make up to two, alongside the button you'd stick to your telly that was paired with a tiny speaker on your remote, so that when you lost your remote you could click that button and it'd start the remote beeping for you to find it. I figure you always lose the remote but you're never going to lose the telly. To be honest, that's an idea I probably would be capable of engineering but I know I'll never bother

So, my fellow geekers: what incredible ideas have your churning brains come up with that your hands are incapable of realising?

Thank Post
    GPS alarm for train journeys in case trains are late- you wouldnt be rudely awakened too early by your alarm because you have set it to timings.... you could just set the gps to the nearest station and it would go off one stop before.......

but gps never seems to work on trains......lol

BJG
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    ...alongside the button you'd stick to your telly that was paired with a tiny speaker on your remote, so that when you lost your remote you could click that button and it'd start the remote beeping for you to find it...
    Wow, that would save me hours.

Thank Post
    I've always thought that using rainwater to automatically top up screenwash would be a good idea - it could go through some concentrated screenwash to dilute (no idea how, but the idea is there).

Also, me and my bro came up with a quiz program with buzzers for the 48k spectrum that used the joystick port to detect which one had been pressed, we did actually build a couple of protptypes that worked, should've got Jason donovan to do some voice work!

Thank Post
    Kinnetic chargers for mobile phones. Attach to belt or leave in a packet and attach to the phone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowgirl View Post
    GPS alarm for train journeys in case trains are late- you wouldnt be rudely awakened too early by your alarm because you have set it to timings.... you could just set the gps to the nearest station and it would go off one stop before.......

there is an app that will do that using either gps or phone location where possible

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I figure that at this point in my life, any hope of me gaining sufficient engineering skills to prototype, develop and sell these ideas is long since gone, so I may as well make a halfway entertaining forum thread about it instead.

I was having a think earlier while I pondered a room refurb that it would be really handy if retractable power leads existed, or even better... elastic power leads. Imagine a lead half a metre long that can stretch to two metres when necessary. It'd have to be a stretch-and-stay sort of thing, like pulling a blob of blu tac apart, rather than actually elastic, but the cable clutter it could save on would be incredible - cable ties never seem neat enough and then people just end up wanting to stretch the lead that bit further than you've allowed for.
    So it was similar to an airhose lead / wire as below :

http://www.wjdennis-rcr.com/Portals/...25-plan-an.gif

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowgirl View Post

I think that has been done. I'm sure I've seen it on some gadget show or other.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    So it was similar to an airhose lead / wire as below :

http://www.wjdennis-rcr.com/Portals/...25-plan-an.gif
    In purpose, I suppose, but the phone style coil always seems to end up horrifically tangled as well. Easier to engineer than elastic copper though, I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    Kinnetic chargers for mobile phones. Attach to belt or leave in a packet and attach to the phone
    I'm sure I keep seeing articles about clothing with the kinetics built in, so you plug your phone into your pocket and charge it as you walk. There's a couple of similar things about already, though.

Thank Post
    so as usual- im behind the times---lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    One that I did see - think it was on the big breakfast on channel 4 a few years back that I thought was quite good ( not one I thought of ) was a little scale electrics type car but had some batteries and a speaker inside of it and you put it on a vinyl record and it played the vinyl record as the car drove around the grooves of the vinyl

I was impressed with that !!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    One that I did see - think it was on the big breakfast on channel 4 a few years back that I thought was quite good ( not one I thought of ) was a little scale electrics type car but had some batteries and a speaker inside of it and you put it on a vinyl record and it played the vinyl record as the car drove around the grooves of the vinyl

I was impressed with that !!!
    Not quite the same, but this is always worth sharing:

13. 2 Thanks to sonofsanta:

mac_shinobi (23rd May 2012), stevenlong1985 (19th July 2012)

Thank Post
    As I haven't yet come back to tell myself that I successfully invented the time machine, I guess that one is out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson335 View Post
    As I haven't yet come back to tell myself that I successfully invented the time machine, I guess that one is out.
    I knew you were going to post that. Read it twice already!

NDW

Thank Post
    when in london i could do with an app - possibly called Find me a taxi?

i never know where i am and there is never a taxi that is for hire

you would sign in, and flag (or order) a taxi using your GPS (ideal for visitors or the lazy). The taxis then recieve the message saying you want collecting and a map to where you are?

the taxi driver would accept each job depending on their distance to you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast