+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Tablet uses in General; OK after reading the thread about worst computer purchases it got me thinking about mine. I bought an advent vega ...

Thank Post

Tablet uses

OK after reading the thread about worst computer purchases it got me thinking about mine. I bought an advent vega when they were on offer and flashde the ROM thiking I would use it for all sorts of stuff.

Turns out I dont really use it at all. I find the screen isn't as good as I would like, but probably more importantly I just dont find it as useful as I thought. I did think I would just use it for surfing the web when I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs to turn the computer on, but since we also have a dog and a cat, I don't really leave it lying around where I can just pick it up. If I'm honest the most I've probably used it for it to run a picture frame app of photo's I've stored on it.

So what I'm after is what do people use theirs for? Am I missing something which will mean I can at least can get some of my moneys worth from the device?

Thank Post
    I know the feeling. I bought an Asus Transformer this time last year, loved it, took it on holiday with music on, used it on the wifi while away to look up places to go, bung photos on Facebook etc, got back, upgraded my phone to HTC Sensation and stopped using the Asus. Sold it in early August while it still had some value (lost £80)

Thank Post
    Had an ipad3 for a week used it twice.

Thank Post
    Depends what type of person you are. If you are the type who is addicted to facebook, twitter, etc then yeah I see the point but otherwise I'd rather just pick up my laptop to do any real research. For the odd occasion I am on the internet "for the sake of it" my DesireHD does OK.

If you don't have a laptop and/or a smartphone and all you do is dick around on facebook then yeah great. If you love spending all your cash on gadgets and you want something between a smartphone and a laptop, great. For the rest of us IMO £400 is just too much money for something which hasn't really found its purpose yet.

*There are some niche uses for them such as an extreamly cheap interface for audio apps... the only reason I have contemplated getting one.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 23rd May 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    I use my iPad all the time - and my PC (both work and home) all the time too.

My iPad is great for keeping a task list I can walk around with, which syncs back to my phone and PC. Great for carrying to classrooms in case of emergency googling.

Great for browsing magazines and news, especially with Newstand in 5.x

But for anything that requires more typing than a search, PC all the way!

Thank Post
    I use my asus transformer loads, less than I used too now I have a galaxy nexus and carry a full laptop with me as well.

I use mine for:

At Home:
    • Internet browsing in the garden
    • Drawsome!
    • plugging in to my amp and steaming music from my server

At Work:
    • Calendar
    • Taking documentation to a problem computer (tend to use chrome2phone now to send a page from my laptop to my tablet)
    • Note taking in evernote

It definatley suffers from having my laptop there as I wont get it out for half that stuff if my laptop is already on, infact I'm pretty sure that if it did break right now I would not be in any rush to replace it.
    Last edited by Arcath; 23rd May 2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Fix list syntax... Y U NO USE UL+LI

Thank Post
    Bought a tablet to take on honeymoon and for various reasons it didn't get used as planned, but it has seen a fair bit of use since our return:

• Net browsing whilst watching TV (we're both "what have we seen him/her in?" types) - much easier than the phone
    • Net browsing in bed whilst waiting for Mme LeMarchand to do her rounds of the house
    • Casual games whilst one of Mme LeMarchand's daughters phone
    • eReader - books and comics (MUCH easier than phone)
    • Streaming music, particularly whilst cooking
    • Watching video
    • Showing photos - either on screen or TV

Planned uses when I get around to it:

• Wireless keyboard/mouse for main PC on those occasions that I want to use the TV as a monitor (less bulky than current full size wireless board and less finicky than wireless mouse)
    • Astronomy (point and view application)
    • DLNA client when I get a suitable NAS set up

Thank Post
    Ah - another use, similar to LeMerchand. I pop mine up on a little stand, and have either my monitor or the iPad with video on, making it nice to fiddle and watch at the same time

Thank Post
    My Advent Vega (Currently running the VegaCream ROM) is used mainly for iPlayer and Netflix, great little tablet!

Thank Post
    I used to use a tablet a lot when i was on the road... as a GPS you could actually read at a glance, as an entertainment in the hotel of an evening, to tweak the audio processor whilst standing somewhere i could actually hear the effect I was having, to call up manuals when it all went a bit wrong... These days, with a deskjob, i can't see a use that my phone and laptop can't fulfill.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pscott View Post
    My Advent Vega (Currently running the VegaCream ROM) is used mainly for iPlayer and Netflix, great little tablet!
    Is Netflix working now? It wasn't last time I checked and for some reason connecting it to the TV resulted in a screen which was off centre. Probably the reason I used it less as I was hoping to be able to connect it up to the TV but it seemed it was an issue with some ROMs. If it's fixed then I might re-flash and see what I get.

Cheers

Thank Post
    I wake up to the alarm app going off, and set radio, iTunes music or iPlayer/4OD/LoveFilm playing while I shower/shave/dress/have breakfast, maybe read some news online if I have time.

Open "Bookman Lite" to read either an eBook or comic on the short walk to work.

At work I use it for calendar, reminders, taking notes in meetings (all sync'd to my iPhone as well), reading during lunchbreak.
    Researching new apps that the school can use on our set of 30 iPads for the kids / staff.
    Can read & edit networked documents (such as my To Do list) from anywhere on the site without having to carry a bulky laptop around with me.

Home uses include facebook/twitter, reading eBooks and comics, using Skype to chat with family/friends, gaming apps & emulators to play games from other consoles (latest one was FF7, yes, I jailbroke it to do it), general Internet browsing / emailling, drawing apps are good fun, as are things like Garageband or DRUMS! to create music (drumming tracks / synth to accompany my real-world guitar playing, for example). Watching / listening to movies/music while cooking dinner, or cleaning the house... the list goes on.

It's all about finding things it can improve for you. For some, there won't be much at all. For others, like me, there are a great many things!

Thank Post
    Netflix is working perfect in VegaCream!

The HDMI output is still an issue, but they are working on it with the next update and they "think" they have cracked it

14. Thanks to pscott from:

penfold (23rd May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread