+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Instant Coffee in General; @ tech_guy You had me at "I love coffee"....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @tech_guy You had me at "I love coffee".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    First, instant coffee is junk. That is an axiom.

Now that I've demolished all arguments for drinking instant coffee, may I recommend "Hot Lava Java". I've just had a cup of this, and the way it's going I'll be awake all morning.

3. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

mac_shinobi (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Can't dirnk instant...fresh beans all the way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post

Now that I've demolished all arguments for drinking instant coffee, may I recommend "Hot Lava Java". I've just had a cup of this, and the way it's going I'll be awake all morning.
    that's some rocket fuel right there!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    As instant coffee goes, I tend to drink Nescafe Alta Rica (a little expensive for instant but worth it) or, when I can get it/be bothered to order it, Juan Valdez instant is really good: Official Juan Valdez Online Store - Order 100% Colombian Coffee Online

Perhaps it's just the Midlands that has this problem, but every single Costa or Starbucks I've been in make a disgusting cup of coffee. They all use scalding hot water, burning the beans and resulting in a bitter cup of carp - I'd rather drink instant than their coffee!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I use an Aeropress thing at work. It takes a few seconds longer than instant (eeeuch!) and produces a pretty good coffee given decent beans as input. It also 'sweeps up' all the grinds from home which are left over when changing from a coarse grind for cafeteria to a very fine grind for espresso (those two don't mix but the press will deal with anything)
    I love my aeropress and coupled with beans from hasbean.com i am never without good coffee.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    They all use scalding hot water, burning the beans and resulting in a bitter cup of carp
    Milk first, water second.

That is, if you take milk in your coffee.

9. Thanks to X-13 from:

Oaktech (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That Aeropress looks an interesting gizmo. Any downsides to it?

Thank Post
    forgetting filters, I have torn apart tea bags before now, other than that no. Put filter in bit, put bit onto bottom of other bit, pour in water, stir, leave to brew for a bit then slowly push down the big syringy looking bit....it's ace, and no I'm not on commision for them....

12. Thanks to bloxy from:

jinnantonnixx (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    I don't do fancy coffee/dessert things with cream and sprinkles. I have it black, with no sugar and there is no hiding bad coffee when thats what you drink. I know from the smell if they've scalded the beans.

I've taken cups of coffee back in all the major chains and asked them to have another go, even to the point of asking them to run cold water onto the ground beans before they make the coffee if they can't control the temp of the hot water from the machine.

So far, after 6 years of drinking a *LOT* of takeaway coffee, whilst on the road, the only place i've never had a bad cup of coffee from has been McDonalds. Wierd.

14. Thanks to Oaktech from:

bloxy (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    So far, after 6 years of drinking a *LOT* of takeaway coffee, whilst on the road, the only place i've never had a bad cup of coffee from has been McDonalds. Wierd.
    It's because they do filter coffee which as long as you don't leave it sitting around too long is pretty hard to get wrong.

The problem with most of the chains is they sell espresso based drinks which require skill to get right.

16. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Oaktech (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    It uses small disposable disc filters - they come in packs of 350 so a pack lasts a while. The hype says they make a good espresso, but to be honest, they make a middling espresso that lacks crema[*1]. I just make strong 'americano' type in them and that, given good beans, is perfectly reasonable - on a par with a cafetiere but much easier to clear up (just dump the puck and give it a quick rinse).

[*1] I'm a harsh judge of espresso - if I'm out with family or friends and order one there are groans.

18. 2 Thanks to pcstru:

bloxy (21st May 2012), jinnantonnixx (21st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Perhaps it's just the Midlands that has this problem, but every single Costa or Starbucks I've been in make a disgusting cup of coffee. They all use scalding hot water, burning the beans and resulting in a bitter cup of carp - I'd rather drink instant than their coffee!
    Water temp doesn't make much difference to coffee[*1]. Beans are roasted at 215 deg C, so water at 100 deg C won't make much odds. Bitterness tends to come from over extraction (which hot water will contribute to but is much more down to too much water and/or for too long). You can drop boiling water into a cafeteria and get perfectly good coffee - just don't leave it to brew for more than ~30 seconds.

[*1] - that's not to say NO difference, just that it's often not the real culprit behind bad coffee. With Starbucks - bad coffee starts with the green beans.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

I've had that one a few times - great stuff, makes great mocha lattes ( hot choc n coffee mixed ).

Not sure ref proper coffee as far as burning the beans but for instant coffee I normally pour some milk and X Amount of sugars in first , mix this and then pour in the hot water and stirring again.

Thank Post
    Taylor's Lazy Sunday via cafetiere first thing every day (a pint thereof)... followed by Kenco Instant Decaff for the rest of the day. If it's proper coffee, milk gets nuked and goes in the cup first. If it's instant then *meh* - as long as a cow has squitted in it at somepoint it'll do.

just don't leave it to brew for more than ~30 seconds.
    Really?? I always leave it for 2 mins 30 seconds, which is how long it takes the milk (with sugar) to boil in the microwave.
    Last edited by Marci; 21st May 2012 at 02:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast