+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, DfE/PFA 2012: "Parents given power of veto on schools’ use of biometric information" in General; View the consultation as a chance to do some damage limitation then ... Because the law is there, in black ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Blog Entries
    View the consultation as a chance to do some damage limitation then ... Because the law is there, in black & white and saying "why should we be forced to do something that is difficult?" is pointless right now ... The law says it will be done and the consultation is about guidance around it, and also a chance to make sure suppliers are in line to help mitigate any damage.

If I am trolling it is because people are moaning about how unfair the law is and that not being allowed to use a given technical solution will cause problems .... Problems which are best dealt with by educating the children and families, by making sure SLT give enough time for meals and that pastoral care keeps an eye on at risk children ... Oh, the things that *should* be done anyway!

Thank Post
    The politicians stood in front of TV cameras and announced intent to make legislation about this and other things, IIRC around election time.. the Bill kicked off in Feb 2011 and it's clear by the debates etc. that plenty of interested parties got their concerns into the right peoples hands. This is how the system works and you had ample opportunity to: a) Notice there was new law in progress, b) Write to MPs, committee members etc.

Sometimes, children should not have a choice
    Again the basis for this is consent: I'm a parent, my child is MY responsibility and some school tech (or headmaster) should not get to decide whether MY child should surrender personal data or not. I don't think there was a single voice from any party or indeed anyone opposed to that, it's uncontentious, the issues were over whether you needed all parents or just one to consent etc.

That said whether the child should be able to override the parental decision was one of the hot topics, especially whether there is a too young angle. You have to go read that to see the justifications (there are some proper ones).

Do parents get to choose what MIS system we use?
    Irrelevant, they're not choosing what catering/whatever system you're using.

Are schools required to ask/tell parents before introducing a biometric system?
    The law doesn’t require that parents are consulted before an automated biometric system is installed, only that parents be notified and that consent from at least one parent be gained before their child’s biometric data is obtained or used for the purposes of such a system. It is up to schools to decide whether they think it is appropriate to consult parents and pupils in advance.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 16th May 2012 at 11:31 AM.

3. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

GrumbleDook (16th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Running a consultation now is much like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. As far as I remember, no actual consultation was run before it was implemented by a reactionary government listening to a very small, but very loud, minority.
    The original bill was change in a number of areas due to strong lobbying from a number of groups ... and the extent of the change was reduced due to the strong lobbying of other groups ... and a number of bodies (including ASCL) did have there evidence taken into account. I am not aware of Unison or GMB lobbying, nor am I aware of BCS, IET or other groups lobbying. This is why we have bills go from one house to another ... it might not get the result either the pro- or anti-biometric groups want but it ends up in more of a compromise than if no-one got involved.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123