+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Does your alarm system use a premium rate number for arm/disarm notifications? in General; While investigating various telephone-related stuff, it came to light that our most expensive phone calls are the arm/disarm calls to ...

Thank Post

Does your alarm system use a premium rate number for arm/disarm notifications?

While investigating various telephone-related stuff, it came to light that our most expensive phone calls are the arm/disarm calls to the alarm company that happen twice a day.

So, anyone mind finding out if their alarm system dials a premium-rate number or not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Ours is monitored on a red care line so I don't think it dials anything.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

pete (14th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Sounds like you're being ripped off by your alarm company. No surprises there.

Thank Post
    In my old company, the alarm line had a SIM in there, meant I would get a text message every time the alarm was set or unset. Anyway, we were being charged £85pm line rental on it plus the cost of text messages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Ours is monitored on a red care line so I don't think it dials anything.

Ben
    Just had a look at that. Is it tied to a specific alarm system or can it be swapped into any type as the notification transport?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    While investigating various telephone-related stuff, it came to light that our most expensive phone calls are the arm/disarm calls to the alarm company that happen twice a day.

So, anyone mind finding out if their alarm system dials a premium-rate number or not?
    Sorry to bump this but it's come to my attention (when reviewing our phone system, bills etc) that our alarm system also dials an 09 premium rate number when set/unset.

Did you successfully get this changed where you are? I have rang around a few companies attached to our system (service provider, monitoring centre etc) but none seem to either feel like they are responsible or know how to advise.

With these things, does it tend to be that there is always a standard rate alternative or can it be hard-coded in the system and unchangeable unless the system itself is changed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Sorry to bump this but it's come to my attention (when reviewing our phone system, bills etc) that our alarm system also dials an 09 premium rate number when set/unset.

Did you successfully get this changed where you are? I have rang around a few companies attached to our system (service provider, monitoring centre etc) but none seem to either feel like they are responsible or know how to advise.

With these things, does it tend to be that there is always a standard rate alternative or can it be hard-coded in the system and unchangeable unless the system itself is changed?
    Ultimately we dropped our incumbent alarm company (for this and a lot of other reasons) and went with a local firm that we'd had good experiences with. Current setup uses a mobile connection as the primary and a landline as the backup.

Short-term, I think there was a cheaper rate number (can't remember off-hand, I just pointed an irate finance dept in their direction and stood out of the firing line) it could use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread