+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Why all HDMI cables are the same.. Very useful article! in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is (very occasionally) something to be said for not buying the uber cheapy cables, I have seen a couple of the £2 specials from Amazon fall apart in no time at all because their connectors are made from tissue paper and crimped by someone with an RJ45 crimp tool. That said, there is still no reason to pay more than a fiver for a 1m HDMI cable!

Thank Post
    In general, I agree, but there IS a lower limit at which cables do not perform the same. In the analogue domain, generally more copper the better, but if you get cheap cable with about 3 strands in the core and 5 strands in the shield, then they won't perform the same as a cable with 30 strands in the core and 50 in the shield, but mainly you will notice this in the form of interference. The interference rejection qualities of the cable will be compromised and you will notice audio anomalies caused by EM interference, and also static/shadows/artifacts on video signals (this is also why it is not a good idea to put analogue video down an analogue audio cable) It is not really necessary to have much more copper, you won't notice the difference!

In the digital domain this is very much less prominent, as there are standards that people adhere to, because their product won't work if they don't.

However, i did go to fix a customers digibox install which had a reported picture break up, they'd bought a 50 foot hdmi cable from ebay that was about as thick as a piece of cat5 and was so poor that there was a significant measurable resistance from one end to the other, a better cable (cost £20 from ebay rather than £9.99) all was well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Went into Richer Sounds to buy a Freeview HD PVR, the guy tried to sell me an expensive HDMI cable and told me to throw the included one away(!). I explained to the guy that HDMI is digital and as long as the cables meet the HDMI 1.4 spec the picture quality will be the same. He was having none of it and thrusted a Cambridge Audio flyer under my nose explaining why I was wrong.

TL;DR - Richer Sounds told me to buy an expensive cable. I didn't.

Cambridge Audio
    I like the way that you need the top end cable for a projector even though a lot of projectors are lower resolution than a fairly standard TV.

"Each piece of home cinema equipment has different demands – a DVD player for example transmits fewer pictures per second and less bits per colour channel than a games console passing seven channels of high resolution audio and 1080p video." - and the games console doesn't saturate a bog standard HDMI cable at that point. So yes, they have different demands, but conveniently all those demands are more than met by whichever £5 cable you found in Tesco.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I like the way that you need the top end cable for a projector even though a lot of projectors are lower resolution than a fairly standard TV.
    generally this is because you are asking the signal to go a long way and you need better quality shielding to make the signal impervious to things like flourescent tubes, and fire alarm activity signals. If it was on the desk next to you you could throw the signal down a piece of wet string.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12